Incident today on Staff Worcs canal at Coven - armed police

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Just wondered if anyone knows why armed police were on the towpath of the Staffs & Worcs near the Fox and Anchor pub at Coven this afternoon. We thought we were seeing things as two officers with sub machine guns, one with a tazer and two with hand guns appeared walking down the towpath, they came back a short while later with what appeared to be two seized firearms (rifles) carried by another officer. A bit of a surprise for a Saturday afternoon!

This frightened me a bit, we are on there tomorrow.

Bugger!

Lemontoes toes and I are moored at Gailey now, having left Tixall wide this morning.

Where's Coven?

Bugger!

Lemontoes toes and I are moored at Gailey now, having left Tixall wide this morning.

Where's Coven?

You are a day or so ahead of us. I will keep an eye open for you. Where are you heading to?

You are a day or so ahead of us. I will keep an eye open for you. Where are you heading to?

Trying to get to central Brum swiftish

Tonka and Alfian travelling together. Three people and two dogs on two boats so not necessarily very fast travellers.

Looks like we'll bypass the Wolfy 21 tomorrow

Just wondered if anyone knows why armed police were on the towpath of the Staffs & Worcs near the Fox and Anchor pub at Coven this afternoon. We thought we were seeing things as two officers with sub machine guns, one with a tazer and two with hand guns appeared walking down the towpath, they came back a short while later with what appeared to be two seized firearms (rifles) carried by another officer. A bit of a surprise for a Saturday afternoon!

From what you have described it just sounds like firearms have been found near the cut or on someone's boat and before an unarmed officer is allowed to touch/seize them, the trained firearms officers have to ensure they are safe. If it had of been a case of someone threatening/using a gun then a 100-200 meter cordon (preventing publics getting close) would have been put in place and there would have been a hell of a lot more officers than 3. I don't think this is an incident where any of you nearby should have any worries about.

It happens a lot with things like house clearances of elderly people and you find that they have old war rifles in the attic family panic and call police, which is obviously the right thing to do. Or it could just have been someone having their firearms licence revoked and a seizure of the weapons.

moored at calf heath, I left for work sat at 6.30 bloke and young boy walked under bridge 76 as I passed the young boy was holding an air rifle. thought maybe after a few rabbits for the pot.

We came through on Friday morning and no trouble, although if anyone was there they could have been hidden by the overgrown towpath which is nearly 2' high in places. I did hear of a story though of a moorer tipping a bucket of water over a boater at Otherton lock because his boat moved as they went past them at Otherton boat haven....... unbelievable!

Dan

A friend of mine is on a hire boat down there, he sent me a text yesterday to say police were looking for someone who had been taking pot shots at boats with an air rifle

That sounds like it

Richard