RIP Sam Horne

lockcottage

Featured Posts

For all of you out there who knew him, I am sad to tell you that Sam Horne passed away tonight at about 7pm. He formerly lived at the Lock Cottage in Berkhamsted for about 48 years, but recently had been living in a Care Home in Hemel Hempstead. He came to Berkhamsted in 1966 as a Labourer/Lock Keeper with wife Gladys and 2 sons, and took great pride in his garden for which he won several prizes for Best Kept Garden. Even after retirement his enthusiasm for the canals never waned and he would often sit in the garden watching the boats go through at Lock 54 and talk to the people on the boats and lock side. Unfortunately he lost his beloved wife Gladys in 2012 and after that he suffered debilitating illness which eventually necessitated his going into a Care Home. Sam, we miss you!

Sue (Daughter In Law)

We loved going past the cottage when we moored down that way from 1992-1998....often passed the time of day as we passed through...a sad loss and another part of canal history gone.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

All the best

Gareth

What very sad news to wake up to.

Another link to the past lost - what Sue has not said is that prior to his long sojourn as a lock-keeper, Sam was a working boatman for (at least) Willow Wren and British Waterways, and continued for a while with a pair of boats delivering concrete piles some time after BW had given up all but very small amounts of carrying work.

I imagine both the loss of Gladys, and also not being able to continue to live canal-side must both have been very hard for him to come to terms with.

RIP Sam - a real boater and canal man.

• Greenie 1

Sams Funeral:

Sam's funeral will be on Friday 27th June at the North Chapel of Watford Crematorium at 3.20 p.m, if any of his boating friends would like to come along and need transport can you please let me know via this forum asap. The hearse will be leaving from the Boat pub on Ravens Lane Berkhamsted at Lock 54 at 2.20 pm.

Sue

Really sorry to hear your sad news. I used to live on Ravens Lane and walked past Sam's lock every day on my way to the station when I did the commute into London. Another link with the past gone. Rest in peace Sam, finally re-united with Gladys.

Debbi