Boat CCTV

DeanS

Featured Posts

By the look of the specifications, you would have to be in a good mobile broadband reception to get the WIFI to work, unless of course you are residential with a hard wired broadband connection.

If I read the spec right, - you need your own WiFi network, (broadband router usually).

As Daiboy says, - if you want to view the pictures remotely, it will require a good GSM signal (G3-G4)

and lots of data allowance.

A fixed landline with broadband is the perfect answer, but most boaters dont have this luxury.

If you are hoping to use a marinas WiFi, - be careful as you may not be able to get past the firewall for P2P, and they may not be impressed at the data useage.

Hi,

I've been running, what looks like a clone of this - see here for over a year and it works fine. :-) - I think it was £35 at the time? I can remote tilt and move the camera to 'look around' and it has night-vision.

It connects to my onboard MiFi (older version of this), which is using a three 3G PAYG (sometimes 2G) internet connection, that you tell the camera to connect to (need a laptop for that step). My one has it's own DNS (run by the company Tenvis), so as the network IP changes (approx. quarterly) it updates online.

Then you need a piece of software (lots of options available, but 'IP Cam Viewer Basic' works well on Android devices) to view the output, or you can go via it's built in web site, but you need to configure port passthrough on the MiFi router to enable that.

It works no problems, other than when Three reset their network (not often), or if I allow the SIM on the MiFi, to run out of Internet Data. smile.png

If you think about it, unless you're viewing the camera scene all the time (on a console), it's not really using data except when you open the window to view the camera.

You can get it to email you if it triggers a configurable 'motion detector', and it will send snapshot photos of what's occurring.

Hope that helps?

Kind Regards

Mark

Edited by Canarrowboat TBD

Hi,

I've been running, what looks like a clone of this - see here for over a year and it works fine. :-) - I think it was £35 at the time? I can remote tilt and move the camera to 'look around' and it has night-vision.

It connects to my onboard MiFi (older version of this), which is using a three 3G PAYG (sometimes 2G) internet connection, that you tell the camera to connect to (need a laptop for that step). My one has it's own DNS (run by the company Tenvis), so as the network IP changes (approx. quarterly) it updates online.

Then you need a piece of software (lots of options available, but 'IP Cam Viewer Basic' works well on Android devices) to view the output, or you can go via it's built in web site, but you need to configure port passthrough on the MiFi router to enable that.

It works no problems, other than when Three reset their network (not often), or if I allow the SIM on the MiFi, to run out of Internet Data. smile.png

If you think about it, unless you're viewing the camera scene all the time (on a console), it's not really using data except when you open the window to view the camera.

You can get it to email you if it triggers a configurable 'motion detector', and it will send snapshot photos of what's occurring.

Hope that helps?

Kind Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark....!

I have 2 unlimited data mobile phone + tethering/wifi , so I was thinking of using that, which should work fine:)

Thanks Mark....!

I have 2 unlimited data mobile phone + tethering/wifi , so I was thinking of using that, which should work fine:)

So it won't work when your away from the boat as you'll be taking the Internet connection with you!

I had a camera system...that relayed to my phone...

Trouble is there are cameras everywhere these days and our friends the 'Scrotes' know exactly what they look like.

I had a nice photo of a guy in a hood giving me a 'V' sign to camera...relayed to my phone so I could give it to the police !

They stole the whole camera system...my biggest loss on the break in !!

Easy to spot the 'perps'.. ...so keep your eyes open..

They are about 5 foot 5 inches..skinny...and wear grey track suit bottoms and grey hoodie...

What..?....you've seen them..?!