Which way into Brum

Featured Posts

We're nearing Napton and will be turning left up the Grand Onion soon. Our original plan was to go down to Stratford, the Avon then up the Severn with an aim to eventually pick up the Shroppie. However having plugged a large flow on the Thames and seeing how wet the country still is it may be that the Avon/Severn are too much like hard work if we get any rain when we get there. So I'm considering alternatives and because everyone says its fun - we might go into Birmingham. However there appear to be two alternatives. Stay on the GU or take the northern bit of the Stratford. What does the jury recommend. We tend to prefer the narrow canals as the locks tend to be easier although we have been told that the Stratford ones can be hard work as well.

Of course we could also do the Worcs and Birmingham but just the thought of Tardebigge makes me break out into a sweat.

The GU route has you climbing at Knowle, descending at Camp Hill, and climbing again at Ashtead and Farmer's bridge. Whereas the Stratford route is climb-only and hence fewer locks. The N Stratford locks are easy. The S Stratford locks can be a bit decrepit, which may be what the person commenting meant.

Presuming you want to exit the BCN via Wolverhampton, the N Stanford route is therefore the easier. Should you want to exit via the B&F then of course the GU route is much quicker, but then you miss out on the city centre which is fab!

The North Stratford from Kingswood Junction is very easy going for locks, the 19 from the junction to the Birmingham level are well maintained and very fast to operate, 2 hours no problem. The locks on the South Stratford can be a bit harder work and don't have any fenders down if you go that way to the Avon.

It depends:-

Staying on The GU after Hatton ('cos you have to do them anyway) is only 5 more very heavy broad locks, then a nice run up to Catherine de Barnes, after which it's a bit less pleasant

-- I see NickNorman has got his bit in while I write this --

Then as he says Camp Hill - a bit depressing - then more locks and a tunnel (you might a view towards the proposed site for HS2). Hang a left for the Farmers' Bridge flight up to the joys of the City Centre, which in canal terms is fantastic.

Turning left at Kingswood Junction and the main flight is pretty

--bother another post --

but the canal can be a bit gloomy until you get to King's Norton Junction. Thereafter it's a bit mixed and tatty but you pass Cadbury' World - you might hear the Carillion if you pass at 15:00 plus the University (well worth a visit) and the bulk of the QE Hospital.

Muddy, shallow and unpleasant - wave at the train drivers as you negotiate the obstacles - until you approach Gas Street from its rear. Don't moor on that section before the Mailbox.

Either way you won't miss the City Centre. Moor nearer the NIA and stay at least overnight. There's a lot going on - I'm a city hater, but Brum has done its immediate canals proud. A pity that the nice bits end 500m after Old Turn.

(Then please take the Old Main Line and visit the Black Country Museum.

I'm happy doing both routes but perhaps the slower (?) route via the North Stratford is nicer. It depends on what time you arrive at Kingswood as pleasant moorings are a bit further on than via Knowle.

Great advice guys - thanks. lets just see if the rain holds off.

Edit - had a good look at the book after this advice - one further question - when heading out of Gas Street on the BCN there seem to several ways to go especially the Birmingham or Wolverhampton levels. Various sections seem to have less locks but its hard to tell from a map what they are really like.

OH and sorry but what's the NIA?

Edited by larryjc

NIA national indoor arena at old turn junction.

As OG says, go up the Smethwick locks onto the old main line , it's more interesting than the new main line and deeper in places. You have to do 3 locks which ever way you go, and although Tipton locks are nicer than Smethwick the rest is better on the old line.

Edited by nicknorman

It is 3 locks (20ft) between the Birmingham and Wolverhampton levels which ever way you go. I would also say go up Smethwick and round the Old Main Line then you do a bit of each, as you have to use the Mew Main Line to get to Smethwick Junction anyway. Watch out for the crap in Smethwick locks, but don't let that put you off the rest is reasonably clear of rubbish.

You can easily recognise the NIA right now due to the building work to put a new atrium on the outside overlooking the canal, see here for details.

Great advice guys - thanks. lets just see if the rain holds off.

Edit - had a good look at the book after this advice - one further question - when heading out of Gas Street on the BCN there seem to several ways to go especially the Birmingham or Wolverhampton levels. Various sections seem to have less locks but its hard to tell from a map what they are really like.

OH and sorry but what's the NIA?

Stopped by the TLA (Three Letter Acronyms) NIA = National Indoor Arena.

It's an oval shaped building (though that's not obvious from the canal.

As you come out of the Broad Street 'tunnel' ahead of you some 200m (?) is a great round thing in the canal specially put there so you make a cockup of turning left or right (the junction is known as 'Old Turn'. Looming above that is the NIA.

Beyond Old Turn along the side of the NIA and on the other side of the cut are the best (IMHO) moorings in Brum always provided that, (a) they are not refurbishing it / or it's not shutdown of an ended exhibition - as it's noisy in the early hours.

Your query also give me a chance to plug:-

Not only the BCC (already mentioned, so I won't spell it out)

But also,

• The jewellery Museum in Vyse street (guided tour of a pre WW2 manaufactory)
  • The Pen Museum - on the way to the above
  • Before that everything in the central square,
  • Conference Centre / Concert Hall (fab: organ)
  • The New Library (after you've recovered from the weird architecture)
  • Museum and art gallery,
  • Just walking around - as much of the centre is now pedestrianized
  • Town Hall with another good organ
  • "Back to backs"
  • Market stalls and special events

Shoppin' (for memsahib). Even I enjoyed walking (quickly) from the shops...

Lots of good curries - some without Burning Fiery Swords (I suggest the one by the Broad Street Bridge, good value before 19:00) above a noisy bar, but there's a lot of other fooderies in the are and accessible from the towpath.....

Disclaimer:-

I don't and have never lived anywhere Brum, I hate cities (other than via water), London is YUK, Leicester needs a bit of work on your part, Oxenford is nice but may deter folks on the basis of 'Ivory Towers' syndrome and I've run out of comments about anywhere else

Apologies:

When we started cruising Brum was a mess and we passed it by in order to get elsewhere - I think many folks do the same now.

We all want to cruise.

But some places have a lot to see and view for all ages of boaters and families.

Don't rush from A to B but allocate some time to pause and have a look. 20 minutes in Centenary square may convince you.

The BCC is a great place to moor overnight, Fish n' chips (can be) good and there's stuff for the kids. Topside it's in a grotty area - but you're locked away in a private area of calm.

• Greenie 1

Doing the Warwickshire Ring right now, starting at Braunston, via Catherine De Barnes. The Knowle Locks (the 5 after Hatton) are really hard work.

Rowington was a nice place to moor between bridge 61 & 62, after Hatton & before the Knowle locks.

Stayed on the GUC & after bridge 86 (near Alcocks Green train station)it started looking grim & the canal was full of rubbish, including this.
IMG_20140609_164713.jpg
IMG_20140609_164719.jpg

Turned right at the Bordersly junction towards Salford junction. It looks even grimmer, the water is black & stinks, dont go churning it up cuz it stinks even more. & there was asian youths on every dammed lock (Camp Hill locks & Garrison Locks) who have been perfectly fine & helpful & friendly. Currently moored up on a floating pontoon at Star City.

Pics from Rowington to Star City

We're nearing Napton and will be turning left up the Grand Onion soon. Our original plan was to go down to Stratford, the Avon then up the Severn with an aim to eventually pick up the Shroppie. However having plugged a large flow on the Thames and seeing how wet the country still is it may be that the Avon/Severn are too much like hard work if we get any rain when we get there. So I'm considering alternatives and because everyone says its fun - we might go into Birmingham. However there appear to be two alternatives. Stay on the GU or take the northern bit of the Stratford. What does the jury recommend. We tend to prefer the narrow canals as the locks tend to be easier although we have been told that the Stratford ones can be hard work as well.

Of course we could also do the Worcs and Birmingham but just the thought of Tardebigge makes me break out into a sweat.

The Avon's a doddle going downhill and the Severn locks are all lockie-operated.

River levels on the Avon are normal. Severn's still running very slightly above normal but falling, and there's no significant rain forecast for the next five days.

Shouldn't be any hard work involved!

Staying on The GU after Hatton ('cos you have to do them anyway) is only 5 more very heavy broad locks...

Just to be clear (because I misunderstood that at first), the Stratford route is 19 narrow locks up from Kingswood to Birmingham. The GU route is 5 broad up, 6 narrow down, 19 narrow up, total 30.

The kicker for me though, is the GU route doesn't have any ideal stopping places (some are ok) so you have to do 25 of that 30 pretty much in one go, which means you've got to set off early doors to make it. Unless you're mob handed (he's says, anticipating a correction from his Uncle about the time they did it on the Challenge in 2 hours, 3 minutes...)

Don't moor on that section before the Mailbox.

Genuine question: Why not? We moor there quite a bit (when it's free) and have never had any trouble other than noisy gooses.

Lots of good curries - some without Burning Fiery Swords (I suggest the one by the Broad Street Bridge, good value before 19:00) above a noisy bar, but there's a lot of other fooderies in the are and accessible from the towpath.....

The BCC is a great place to moor overnight, Fish n' chips (can be) good and there's stuff for the kids. Topside it's in a grotty area - but you're locked away in a private area of calm.

I've been trying to find a good Indian food establishment within easy walk of the canal in Brum without luck, can you tell me of one?

Also where is the BCC?

cheers

:)

Just to be clear (because I misunderstood that at first), the Stratford route is 19 narrow locks up from Kingswood to Birmingham. The GU route is 5 broad up, 6 narrow down, 19 narrow up, total 30.

The kicker for me though, is the GU route doesn't have any ideal stopping places (some are ok) so you have to do 25 of that 30 pretty much in one go, which means you've got to set off early doors to make it. Unless you're mob handed (he's says, anticipating a correction from his Uncle about the time they did it on the Challenge in 2 hours, 3 minutes...)

We've done both routes a few times, and there are pro and cons to each.

The downside of the Stratford route is that the locks are pretty much all in one flight, so it can be hard work if short-handed. I also find most of the Northern Stratford gloomy and shallow.

When on the GU route, we've moored overnight at the Aston Science Park. Not exactly scenic, but never had any trouble, probably because of the number of CCTV's in the area.

That just leaves you the Farmer's Bridge flight to get up unto the centre. I really love the FB flight - I think it's the old hobnail-worn stones around the locks contrasting with the modern high-rise buildings and Victorian railway architecture.

Have just come up the Severn from Gloucester to Stourport and it is on green all the way and is no problem.

Tim

Been there done it got the t shirt, peace of cake.

I enjoyed the Tardebigge flight

Manzils in Digbeth: http://www.manzils.co.uk

We walked there from Camp Hill

Richard

If you're moored around the city centre. The best curry nearby is Pushkar in Broad Street. Slightly more pricey than some, but you get what you pay for. The best curry in Brum overall (and Gordon Ramsey would say it's the best in the country) is Lasan in the Jewellery Quarter, an easy walk from Cambrian Wharf.

• 1 month later...