low carbohydrate recipes

Ally

Featured Posts

There seem to be a few low carb eaters here, so how about a thread for low carb recipes?

I'm going to start off with savoury 'muffins'. Definitely not muffins, but I find it hard to find 'on the go' snacks, where others might grab a few biscuits or cake.

These are good hot or cold.

Bacon bits, fried...I use the cooking bacon usually, or value bacon.

4 eggs

Grated strong cheese

Double cream

Pepper.

Fry the bacon up, meanwhile grease a non stick muffin or cup cake type tin. Grease it really well! Add bits of bacon into each moulded section.

Put a bit of grated cheese on top of the bacon. Mix the eggs, cream (roughly half and half, slightly less cream) and pepper really well, pour over bacon and cheese. Bake gas mark 6 till done, about 25 mins. Ease out of tin with a flat knife....yes, I did say a good non stick well greased tin!!

I challenge you not to eat them all in the first day!

I've already shared my scrummy pork steak recipe, but just to recap,

Pork steaks

Mix equal grated parmesan..fresh, not the stuff in tubs, and full fat Mayo. Coat the top of the pork steaks, place in oven proof dish and cook for about 40 mins depending on thickness of pork. Eat......smile.....

I like this with just a simple green salad, but would be good with whatever veg you like.

Please add any low carb recipes to mine!

I discovered this unlikely sounding but simple and delicious combination a couple of weeks ago.

Bake or microwave a sweet potato and cut it in half, place a small knob of butter on each half.

Place a poached egg on each half of the potato and grind a little black pepper over them.

That's all there is to it

I discovered this unlikely sounding but simple and delicious combination a couple of weeks ago.

Bake or microwave a sweet potato and cut it in half, place a small knob of butter on each half.

Place a poached egg on each half of the potato and grind a little black pepper over them.

Love baked sweet potato.

Also loaded sweet potato is nice. Bake it as you would a jacket spud. Take out of the oven, scoop the innards out into a bowl mix with cheese and chopped chilli. Add back to the skin and bake for another ten minutes.

Love baked sweet potato.

Also loaded sweet potato is nice. Bake it as you would a jacket spud. Take out of the oven, scoop the innards out into a bowl mix with cheese and chopped chilli. Add back to the skin and bake for another ten minutes.

A low carb coleslaw, its yummy!

Shredded white cabbage

Finely sliced onion, I use red onion...or salad onion, just a little.

Grated sharp cheddar

Finally chopped radish, optional.

Mix, then stir in the dressing, made up of, to taste,

Full fat Mayo

Sour cream

Dijon or whole grain mustard

Mix and eat, good rolled up inside a slice of ham, or as a side to meat.

Edited by Ally

Tonight I had grilled pork slices with a little harissa paste spread on them. Grilled sliced aubergine with a bit of melted Pie D'Angloys cheese on top. And spicy squelch noodles* It wasn't intentionally low carb, it's just what I fancied.

*"Squelch noodles" is my term for kelp noodles from Holland and Barratt. They were on cheap a few weeks ago so I bought some out of curiosity. They're called Zero noodles because they burn more calories to digest than you consume by eating them. Such an anti-evolution idea, so very intriguing. biggrin.png Anyway, unusual texture but can be used like any fresh "straight to wok" type noodle, and they just taste of whatever you cook them with. Dead easy for me when I come home from work late and want to just lob food together without thinking.

I'm just waiting for them to invent Zero lemon meringue pie, now.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Hey, I just tried this: brilliant and very easy!

Thanks bazza

What's the carb count on those noodles BSP? They just might work for low carbing. If I want noodles or whatever I usually end up ribbon cutting/peeling celariac or courgette, but those sound good!

Hey, I just tried this: brilliant and very easy!

Thanks bazza

Ha!

I'm glad you enjoyed it

Quick too if you microwave the sweet potato while you poach the eggs

Edited to add - I wonder how original this idea is

Edited by Bazza2

Why the low carbs Ally?

Ha!

I'm glad you enjoyed it

Quick too if you microwave the sweet potato while you poach the eggs

Edited to add - I wonder how original this idea is

I might have to try that for lunch tomorrow.

What's the carb count on those noodles BSP? They just might work for low carbing. If I want noodles or whatever I usually end up ribbon cutting/peeling celariac or courgette, but those sound good!

haven't got the packet left but carbs must be low. I'll put a link below.

I just read that aubergines are quite carby after all! I never knew. Maybe that's why I'm addicted to them.

Anyway - noodle link here: http://www.zeronoodles.com/ Seems to claim it's free of everything! (Except squelch)

Edited to add: I take it back! Just read on another website that aubergine is only 2% carbohydrate.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Just wondering what would be the reason for a low carb diet.I had a quick google for carbohydrates and many of the things that seem to contain it i would have thought to be good for you like veg and stuff with fibre in it. would i be right in thinking it would be to leave out bread and cakes and maybe milk and sugar? Paul

I'm not going to pretend to understand the science behind it, though there are many published articles, both scientific and lay, both for and against. A basic idea of how it works:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-carbohydrate_diet

There are lots of options and types of low carb diets, or ways of eating. Some very strict, limiting carbs to say 20g a day of unprocessed carbs, so veg for example, which give very rapid weight loss. Others are less restrictive, to say 59-60g a day, again, unprocessed carbs usually. It works with insulin production and they body burning fats instead of glucose from carbs. (Basically...as I say, far from an expert in this!) If I, personally, want to lose some, I find it the only diet that really works for me at this stage and age. But I find it a good general way of eating. I don't get the carby bloated feeling, it keeps my blood sugar levels low too, and unexpectedly my cholesterol is lower...can't work that one out!

Someone on here had a thread going, maybe a year or so ago, about getting themselves out of diabetes with a similar diet iirc.

Its certainly not for everyone, but I enjoy it, and it seems to work for me. I tend more towards paleo mostly, when eating this way, but happy meat isn't always available to me, for cost or ease of finding it, but its a base for my current way of eating.

So yes, I only have carbs from veg, and a wee bit that is in, say, some cheese if eating it. I mostly eat meat, fish, eggs, poultry, butter, nut and coconut oils, some cream, green leafy veg, some root veg like celariac, some cheese, celery, cucumber, raddish, and other low carb veg. I don't eat any wheat products, potato, rice, beans, peas or corn, sugar. I try and avoid processed foods.

So, following on from that, what do I nibble on for a crunch...or with butter or cheese?

One of my favourites are almond crackers. Very simple.

1 cup of ground almonds

I whole egg

Optionally, add any dried herbs, garlic powder or whatever you fancy, touch of salt and pepper. Mix to a firm dough.

Roll out thin and cut up to cracker shapes...take your pick!

Place on greased oven tray and bake about mark 4-5 till light golden. Lovely just with butter, or butter and cheese.

I usually roll out between greaseproof paper, not so sticky then.

Edited by Ally

Swineherds pie.

Pack of minced pork

Chopped chorizo

Half a chopped onion

Couple of TBS passatta

Herbs and spices to your taste, I used paprika, garlic, cayenne and mixed herbs.

Cauliflower

Butter

Grated cheese.

Cook up the cauliflower, drain and mash with butter, cheese and pepper.

Meanwhile cook up all the rest and preheat oven gas mark 6.

Place meat mix in oven proof dish, top with the cauliflower mash, add extra cheese on top and I sprinkled with paprika too. Cook in oven about 20 mins. Good with green salad or green beans etc