getting rid of rubbish from a refit

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I'm currently in the middle of a refit (started out as fixing a leak but i got carried away) and having turned my boat inside out with most of the bedroom noe on the roof i'm wondering where and how to get rid of it all.

Im currently in the London area (yeah im one of those, sorry!) And dont drive so taking it to a local tip isnt really an option. If i can help it I dont want to dump it at a refuse point as its mostly large sheets of wood that wont go in the bins (they are always full anyway) and im certainly not dumping it amywhere along the cut.

So am i doomed to foerever have crap on my roof or is there a local tip right on the canal or am i just going to have to p!ssing people off and ditch it at a rubbish point?

Doesn't drive

Phil

Wouldn't work anyway, many London tips will not accept waste from vans, only domestic vehicles.

Some tips want to see proof of residence, if you don't have a council tax bill you're not coming in.

And people wonder why there is so much fly tipped boat fits outs.

The nearest tip to the canal that accepts waste from boats is Rickmansworth tip, it's very close, sack trucking distance. Second closest is Haringey tip in Tottenham Hale, Stonebridge Lock is about as close as you'll get. But it's still half a mile. If you can find a willing boater with a car its easier

Wouldn't work anyway, many London tips will not accept waste from vans, only domestic vehicles.

Some tips want to see proof of residence, if you don't have a council tax bill you're not coming in.

The nearest tip to the canal that accepts waste from boats is Rickmansworth tip, it's very close, sack trucking distance. Second closest is Haringey tip in Tottenham Hale, Stonebridge Lock is about as close as you'll get. But it's still half a mile. If you can find a willing boater with a car its easier

Not just London tips either, this now applies in most councils in the U.K AFAIA Not only that hiring a van to dispose of rubbish requires a environmental waste carrying licence, but as LM points out, no vans and proof of residence is required to dispose locally. Most businesses need one of these if they carry any kind of waste materials.

Also be aware if you hire a man and van you need to ensure they have a waste carrier licence, if your waste ends up being fly tipped and it's traced back to you, you will be liable for the clear up.

There's info here on the environment agency.

https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration

Edited by Julynian

There was a barge by Track Bromley by bow which used to get filled up I even saw a bloke park in tesco car park and lob a sofa in it. Never was quite sure if it was actually put there for rubbish which may otherwise be dumped in the cut - if not then it was a remarkably thick place to Moor it :rolleyes:

Track = TESCO. phone autocorrect....

Not just London tips either, this now applies in most councils in the U.K AFAIA Not only that hiring a van to dispose of rubbish requires a environmental waste carrying licence, but as LM points out, no vans and proof of residence is required to dispose locally. Most businesses need one of these if they carry any kind of waste materials.

Also be aware if you hire a man and van you need to ensure they have a waste carrier licence, if your waste ends up being fly tipped and it's traced back to you, you will be liable for the clear up.

There's info here on the environment agency.

https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration

I don't know about your local area but where I live, vans certainly are accepted at local tips, for domestic waste. Yes, there's a (daft) registration procedure to go through but they vary from area to area, so its still a viable option (if he could drive). I interpreted "doesn't drive" as "don't have a car", not "don't have a driving licence".

It really varies between councils so would always advise that you check first.

Enfield tip doesn't allow vans, plus they want to see a council tax bill.

How do I know this? Well, when we moved to the boat we hired a van, loaded it up, got to the tip, they refused to let us in. My partner was furious as they were letting the biggest 4WD vehicles in there but not us in our hired van. So we parked round the corner. I will never forget the sight of my angry partner carrying a wardrobe on his head, into the tip, effing and blinding whilst the security guard for the tip cowered in his little cubicle. biggrin.png

At the tip near my mums in Yorkshire, conveniently near to Ferrybridge visitor moorings on the A&C, (well it would be if they'd let you use it!), you have to apply for a permit at the town hall. Seriously. They give you a sticker to put in your car window.

Edited by Lady Muck

I don't know about your local area but where I live, vans certainly are accepted at local tips, for domestic waste. Yes, there's a (daft) registration procedure to go through but they vary from area to area, so its still a viable option (if he could drive). I interpreted "doesn't drive" as "don't have a car", not "don't have a driving licence".

Maybe that location would be useful to other members. I do know Dorset, Devon & Somerset don't let vans/commercial vehicles dispose of waste in what is now described as waste recycling centres and again proof of residence is required. We have to drive 30 miles to dispose of wast we collect to landfill which we're permitted to do having the appropriate licence. It's pretty expensive now too, way over £100 per ton.

Tips round here in Leeds you can use a van on Wednesday's and I have never been asked for ID but they do ask where the rubbish came from and I once said my boat and he said he will let me this time but he shouldn't be letting me tip it as I don't pay council tax for my boat.

What I did with most of my boat refit rubbish was burn it in my stove.

You can burn it in the stove but the fumes can be dodgy and it may burn much more fiercely than normal wood, if its plywood (glue between the layers), other types of manufactured board, or coated/painted.

Yes it did burn more fiercely than normal wood but it was -10 in the boat when we fit it out so it kept us warm.

is the rubbish barge still between Uxbridge and Denham locks on the offside? Depending on what part of London you are in its half a days cruise up to there.

No that barge is now on the bank and has been cut up into several pieces.

Darren

No that barge is now on the bank and has been cut up into several pieces.

Darren

It never was a rubbish barge, I believe it belonged to the gravel people and I heard that they got really fed up with people dumping their rubbish in it. It got so full it nearly sank a few times. That would have caused a major problem with rubbish in the canal.

If you see a work boat/open hopper, don't assume it's there for you to dump your rubbish in it. You should only get rid of your rubbish at proper rubbish disposal points and if it's not domestic rubbish you do need to find a way of getting it to an authorised tip.

Debbi

if it's not domestic rubbish you do need to find a way of getting it to an authorised tip.

Define "domestic rubbish".

My local tip is for "domestic rubbish" only yet accepts rubbish created by my house renovations and boat fit outs.

If it is the same type of rubbish but generated as a result of my job then it is "trade waste" and I pay to dump it.

CRT's attitude to domestic DIY waste encourages fly-tipping and pollution of the very waterways they are charged with caring about.

Cut it up into bits small enough to go in a bin bag and put it in the rubbish point bin thus saving CRT time and money even if they're not bright enough to realise it.

Hi,

Non domestic rubbish at CRT disposal points is a pain - not what they were designed for.

The best way is to cut all your fitting out rubbish into small pieces, these can be bagged and are much easier to handle and dispose of.

I do this with domestic rubbish at home, even taking large items (white goods) apart, they are much easier to transport - to either the tip or scrapyard, saves my back and the boot of the car.

Even reaches the stage of cutting up cardboard boxes so that they are more manageable - this helps the paper collection team who collect from the road.

L

Sorry Carlt out posts crossed.

Edit - Domestic rubbish - normally, sorted packing of goods used in the kitchen and for everyday living, plus bottles and plastic and tin cans. If it's too large it is reduced in size and taken to the Local Authority Disposal point.

Green waste disposed of at LA tip, food waste collected at road side, but in our case used for compost or down the Waste disposal unit.

Edited by LEO

People think hoppers are for rubbish. This includes non boaters.

If the barges are placed to take waste which would historically be 'canal filled' then good but if not then they are just a cost really.

I agree with skip barges for boaters but they have to be moored where nobody except boaters can access them ;)

Its a grey area

If CRT are happy to accept almost unlimited boats in certain areas they will have to upgrade the waste disposal services in a big way IMO