adhesive question?

Featured Posts

Get some "Sticks like sh*t" from Jewsons.

Or Screwfix - - (yes - Sticks like Sh** will work - just clamp the acrylic to the trim whilst it sets, and use sparingly)

My sister works in a glue factory. She's told me she's sticking to her job!

Where is the hi vis coat.

She's probably attached to the security of it.

But seriously - - I Googled your question - and of all the answers - I thought this was authoritative

Acrylic/wood adhesion

Doesn't seem very authoritative to me - it says "epoxy does not require a chemical reaction for adhesion" but unless I have missed something, epoxy glue sets by a chemical reaction!

I'm amazed that a consumer product is allowed to have the word sh*t in it.

It takes the F*****G P*SS

Sikaflex, while having a more down to earth name, is good but not sure about wood to acrylic... Quality double sided tape might be worth trying.

Edited to change work to word

Edited by magnetman

I'm amazed that a consumer product is allowed to have the word sh*t in it.

It takes the F*****G P*SS

Sikaflex, while having a more down to earth name, is good but not sure about wood to acrylic... Quality double sided tape might be worth trying.

Edited to change work to word

It doesn't any more, well at least the tube I bought nearly two years ago from our local branch of Travis Perkins didn't, and it is no longer listed under that name on the Bostick (Evostick) website.

Hello folks,

I was going to but some wooden trim around my secondary double glazing and was wondering what would be a good adhesive to stick wood to acrylic.Any suggestions would be appreciated. Paul

I might try a flexible adhesive. My acrylic window (for use in place of the stern doors) noticeably bowed on hot, sunny days and eventually departed fom its wooden frame.

According to engineeringtoolbox.com acrylic has a high coefficient of thermal expansion. Acrylic sheet: 81 x 10-6 m / m K.

For a 30C range of temperature in a boat that is a variation of 2.4 mm over a 1 metre length. The wood will vary in length very little (0.1mm).

You could, perhaps, attach the decorative frame to the window surround or modify the existing attachment to accomodate both the acrylic sheet and the wooden frame. Better still, make up a more substantial wooden frame with grooves or rebates for a loose-fitting glazing sheet.

Alternatively, paint a border around the acrylic sheets, maybe scumbled.

Alan

The answer to any adhesive question on this forum always seems to be marineflex, stixall or sikaflex... or perhaps another flexible polymer-based adhesive.

Key the surfaces with some fine sandpaper and wipe over with a cloth dampened with white spirit first.

That is of course assuming that we're not talking about an oily wood?

Nope, still in the latest Screwfix catalogue item code 87228 or 71827

Phil

Yes, I know that, Try ordering some and see what you get. If it has the old name then it is probably (very) old stock. They haven't had any in ToolStation, or any of our loal Merchant's shops for nearly two years.

Edited by David Schweizer

I might try a flexible adhesive. My acrylic window (for use in place of the stern doors) noticeably bowed on hot, sunny days and eventually departed fom its wooden frame.

According to engineeringtoolbox.com acrylic has a high coefficient of thermal expansion. Acrylic sheet: 81 x 10-6 m / m K.

For a 30C range of temperature in a boat that is a variation of 2.4 mm over a 1 metre length. The wood will vary in length very little (0.1mm).

You could, perhaps, attach the decorative frame to the window surround or modify the existing attachment to accomodate both the acrylic sheet and the wooden frame. Better still, make up a more substantial wooden frame with grooves or rebates for a loose-fitting glazing sheet.

Alternatively, paint a border around the acrylic sheets, maybe scumbled.

Alan

Have you thought of changing to polycarbonate sheet ?

Polycarb is a softer material and will scratch more easily plus its light transmission is less than acrylic but if you use 6mm it is bulletproof LOL

The polycarbonate I have used for double glazing is crystal clear - indistinguishable from glass. I haven't tried scratching it!

I might try some sikaflex or tek 7 as the other products mentioned are hard to source in Ireland unless i put in a shipping order to screwfix.the painting idea sounds good ,Alan. Has any body tried this.

Yes,Phil i choose the acrylic for exactly the reason you stated although it was a toss up as the guy selling it said the acrylic would eventually yellow but in any of the threads i have read on here some people say it does not.

While we are at it,I am ordering some rubber u channel section to go around my porthole double glazing and was wondering how and what would be the best way of painting it.google doesnt throw up much.i may be just looking for unnessecary work and should probably just turn a blind eye.but any thoughts are welcome.Paul

Not experienced Acrylic going yellow, though Perspex will maybe people are getting the 2 materials mixed up. 0i glazed in the forward well deck on my previous boat with acrylic and when we sold her the acrylic was still good 8 years after I did it.

Phil