Visiting Lancaster canal, car and walking.

W+T

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, me and T are going to meet up with my bro and his good lady for a day out gongoozling at the boats etc and gona get a bite to eat, what we are after is a good area for looking at boats to see, for me anyway as i want to show T what we can/could be to looking at getting next year ( more likely be a cruiser as we need to start from scratch again , i love the Creighton and want a 32 ) when we go for another boat. We have never stopped by the canal but drove by a few times and seen a few nice spots but not sure on boat amounts, i am thinking it will be a busy weekend if it is nice as its the bank holiday weekend aswell. Be nice to se a few boats cruising, you dont get to se many on the L&L where we go.

Fingers crossed it will stay nice:)

wolly

You might try Galgate ( marina there plus pub - but can't vouch for the quality ), or you could go to Barton Grange Marina - garden centre there with boats moored.

There's also Garstang - marina there, and pubs in town. Depends what your main focus is really - boat 'shopping' or just mooching and having lunch??!

Sas

unsure.png

I think tewitfield may be the best place for you to visit!

http://www.lancastercanalboatclub.org/events.php

You can also walk North from there past where the canal was dissected by the A6070 and the M6 and up past the abandoned locks. It's worth a look if you like that sort of thing. (I do)

The canal is still connected to the abandoned section by a small culvert under the A road. Tewitfield basin is very pleasant.

Hi Jim, where you been lately on your travels, somewhere exciting i hope, DCO is a bit quite nowadays hey. I used to visit Glasson now and then on my rouds, not been for about 10 years now, could be worth a trip on way home.

I think tewitfield may be the best place for you to visit!

http://www.lancastercanalboatclub.org/events.php

That sounds fun for a day out, sounds more for the boaters though, i will read more and see whats going on, thanks.

Infact i think to make a good day of it as weather is good upto know, so yahoo tell me, we can meet in Garstang and mooch and a brew from early morning around the shops for the SWMBO`s and the boats for the chaps, then for dinner go upto Galgate for dinner and more boats, then if we are not past ti by then over to Glasson Dock for a look at the big stuff, and maybe a smokey :)

Looking forward to a day out, need it real bad the both of us.

Thanks chaps :)

Hi Wayne

You could go kick a few tyres at Bridgehouse marina, they got quite a few cruisers for sale at the moment. Provided you ask they don't seem to mind you taking a look round at what's for sale there, buy an ice cream at the chandlers/shop and have a wander round.

Kev

Just a thinks for the ideas of where to visit, we ended up meeting at the Bridgehouse mariner, nice spot there with a good amount of boats to mooch about, i spotted a decent, by looks of it a 50 footer for a nice price of £15k on dry dock, mite be out of our price range but worth a look for somebody. I thought there was a cafe on site but we couldnt find it, or just didnt look hard enough, still had a good hour or so.

We them went upto Billborrow, madness every where, but then it was bank hloiday, we went in to get food but it was packed, couldnt get a drink and gave up waiting to be seated for food BUT would you believe it there was a cracking Creighton 32 moored up outside it, i was wanting a drink to sit and drool over it but that wasnt to be, dont know why, maybe its the lines but i love the Creighton boats, i loved the 26 i had and would love the 32 for the extra rear deck space for fishing an chilling and the odd BBQ. This one was in cracking condition an looked very smart.

So after that we went upto Galgate mariner.to see what was there, we parked up but then pund it was private parking so went to the pub, cant remember the name But just down the road form it The Plough, had food there which was good food aswell, we didnt look about on the cut as my knee was plying up by now, suprised i got that far but i needed a day out.

From there we went to Lancaster and parked up somewhere, had a walk to a pub for a coffee then ended as i was suffering a bit but we had a look at a few more boats and then went home.

From the day out looking at many boats i am still fixed on a Creighton 32, a centre cockpit which give two cabins and you get a rear deck is perfect for us, and a nice looking boat, so come next year i will be still on the hunt for one, unless anyone can suggest another type.

Oh and i would still want to cruise the Lancaster, easy for T to do the locks .clapping.gif

Hi Wayne

Glad you had a good day out. If you want a Creighton 32 there's one for sale near me, I love the 2 pram hoodstongue.png

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=349555

Thought that was sold for some reason, i have seen and heard about that one a while back, i would jump at the chance but i need to sort this year out first, a big year ahead, Next year is my year, i just wanted to look at other boats, not that i seen enough boats over the hears that i like, i just want to see if i can be convinced of others.