What could these marks be??

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Often Causes Dents...Love it!l

"Obsessive Causing Dents" is good too! Maybe i've imagined them up and my brain power is so strong it's materialised them?!

Last year I was labelled by forum members with OSOCD... "Obsessive State of Charge Disorder "( my batteries were causing my problems!)

I wonder if i can claim benefits for any of the above "disabilities"!!!!'

If your boat was a 2009 build then, at the most, that makes it 4 years old. You said that it had been painted before you got it and the painwork is two years old.

Think about it for a moment - your paintwork looks good, it is two years old. It certainly does not look as though it is likely to need painting again this year! So the previous paintwork was at most two years old when the current pain was applied. There was a reason for that. It must have looked tatty or possibly it had languished for a long time in undercoat.

Maybe there had been some minor damage to the area (when I say minor I mean damage to the previous paint not dents to the metal) prior to the last repaint. It is surprising what thickness of paint builds up on metal, especially if it is brush painted. a slight reccess in the surface prior to applying paint will always show in the right light no matter how well feathered in the edges are. The thing to remember is that just as you have not seen them for 2 years .. so no one else will see them and so (until you shared it on here) your secret blemishes were safe!

My boat was painted 4 years ago and its crap. If I felt like throwing money at it I would have had it repainted 2 years ago. The OPs boat was painted at the same sort of time as mine and loads of boaters had problems with the paint jobs.

Well who knowS? I cant make out if it IS dipping in the metal work( althohgh it feels smooth) or if it is a problem with the paintwork.

I think like others have said, i just shouldnt worry too much - theres no blistering or bubbling, i can see my face in the paintwork when its been washed and waxed and overall, i guess i have quite a nice boat.

Hhmmmmmm!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's caused when you tilt an orbital sander whilst sanding the side down on the initial prep of the paint work.

Welcome to the forum :-)

Nothing quite like lack of proper prep ......

Years ago, we got the contract to clean/wash off the original wall paint in the entrance halls of a block of flats. It just so happened that the day after we applied a new spray coat of multiflek paint, the sun rays came through the window parallel to the wall and highlighted 'f*ck off you w*nkers!' most clearly!Upon inspection it became apparent that these words had been polished in the original plastering and though invisible to touch and invisible to electric lighting, it was just the rarest of rare sun hitting the wall at the right place and time that produced the effect. The management committee were furious when explained that to eradicate the writing would take a great deal of expense. We suggested that they place a blind on the window, or maybe a false 'pipe casing'to act as a barrier ..... our suggestions were ignored, and we never got anymore work from their direction - shame really as we were innocent of all their finger pointing.....

Yup...

Its bad preparation..coupled with filler...high build primer....and paint that's too thick.

If you lay these on in succession......without days or weeks in between...you seal undried content under the paint.

I have seen this when I used to restore cars....

If you wanted to 'sell on' quick...you could have a hell of a gloss shine in only a couple of days....and a depth of several millimeters..

It could take...a huge long time..even a year or more..before it starts to dry through...and shrink..and then dip...

It's often made worse by modern paints..where the old style (deadly...?....) chemicals have been removed..

I don't know if you have tried painting your front door recently...and found it's still sticking months later..!!

You would probably find that if you tried to sand your boat at present...upon cutting through the top coat and into primer...the sand paper will start to stick as it's still not dry...

Not much you can do I'm afraid...it will just take it's course...

SORRY !!

Bob