What could these marks be??

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Im noticing on the cabin sides of my boat, something that looks like "dents" in the metal. I'm not sure if its just me, or if they are actually getting worse too.

Ive tried to take some pictures, but they don't really pick up well on the camera. If you look in the pictures below, you can see the dents most clearly on the red panelling ( like I say, the pics don't really show them up too well and it's worse in reality!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91011407@N07/13786315254/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91011407@N07/13785976005/

Anyway, the only way I can describe it, is that they are like dents in the metal - almost like someone has pushed their superman fist into the metal and reformed it!!!

However, upon feeling what looks like the dents, they actually aren't... I can't feel any dip in the metal etc or any rough edges or anything like that, so am not sure if its an illusion on the paintwork. The paintwork is good, no cracking or bubbling etc around the dent marks but it also seems to be just on one side of the boat and not the other.

Its really weird??!

Any ideas?

have you had the boat from new? Has it ever been repainted?

It looks to me as though these are areas under the top coat that have previously been rubbed down. They may have been feathered in on the edges but if there is a lower area in the paintwork then in certain lights you will still see it. Unless your paint is very new then it will be a case of them having been there for a while but you only just noticed them because the light was right.

Of course once you see an imperfection it hits you in the eye everytime and so you start to wonder how you could have ever missed it before

Lol its my google album from my blog hence the fruit cake!

Pauls-nulife :They are randomly all over one side, not really any pattern to them.

Cheshire Rose : thats what i thought about it being just something I've just not noticed that has always been there. Paint work is over 2 yrs old though, it was repainted just before we purchased it. It was previously a light blue/dark blue boat.

Maybe it's me being crackers?! Although, I think I'm quite a perceptive person and would think I would notice something like that straight away??!

Even my partner thinks they've just "appeared" too. I actually joked (devastatingly!) that our boat looks like a 30 yr old shell :( rather than a 2009 build :( Yesterday afternoon, it was cloudy but really bright, that kind of light where you do notice things more...but it really did look like a smashed up piece of metal!!! Like someone had gone over it with a hammer in random places!

Edited by lewisericeric

Hail dents?

Really??! Not sure when, or, if we have had hail that bad or that big that could damage steel like that though??

Only if the cabin was about 0.5mm thick

I'm pretty sure they are paint repairs too

Richard

Poor paint prep maybe, but the shapes or outlines are very smooth - not like something thats been done with a sander (sanding disc) which has gone through layers of paint in certain areas. Not only that, but it only had one previous paint job, so surely the layers of paint wouldn't be thick enough to "show through" like that?? Also, like i say, never really noticed them before and I've had the boat 3 years! It's like it has occurred or appeared recently??!

It is on the sunny side yes... But how could that distort the metal in this way?? And is this something that has happened to other boats? Anyone know??

<pedant>That's not an ordinary fruit cake, it's a Christmas cake, but with an unusually thin marzipan layer, and the royal icing looks a bit on the runny side</pedant>

A fruit cake by any other name is still a fruit cake but i agree the icing needs further work and nobody likes marzipan anyway

I saw a green boat that has masses of these dents......not that I would wish to concern you in any way, I have just tried to upload it from my computer but cannot work out how to get it on here without putting it on my gallery first...sigh....technology...and smilies not working

Lol its my google album from my blog hence the fruit cake!

I actually joked (devastatingly!) that our boat looks like a 30 yr old shell sad.png rather than a 2009 build sad.png Yesterday afternoon, it was cloudy but really bright, that kind of light where you do notice things more...but it really did look like a smashed up piece of metal!!! Like someone had gone over it with a hammer in random places!

If your boat was a 2009 build then, at the most, that makes it 4 years old. You said that it had been painted before you got it and the painwork is two years old.

Think about it for a moment - your paintwork looks good, it is two years old. It certainly does not look as though it is likely to need painting again this year! So the previous paintwork was at most two years old when the current pain was applied. There was a reason for that. It must have looked tatty or possibly it had languished for a long time in undercoat.

Maybe there had been some minor damage to the area (when I say minor I mean damage to the previous paint not dents to the metal) prior to the last repaint. It is surprising what thickness of paint builds up on metal, especially if it is brush painted. a slight reccess in the surface prior to applying paint will always show in the right light no matter how well feathered in the edges are. The thing to remember is that just as you have not seen them for 2 years .. so no one else will see them and so (until you shared it on here) your secret blemishes were safe!

Lol I will pass the comments on regarding the icing to my brother who made the cake ;)

I love marzipan! I wouldn't eat christmas cake if there was no marzipan

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess maybe they have been there all along.... And ive only just noticed for some reason.

My worry was that something was happening to the metal or my pAintwork was about to start flaking /bubbling up in big patches! Eeek! Guess i will just have to accept the dents maybe and sort them out when a repaint is done....in about 8 or 10 years!

First step is not to refer to them as "dents"

They are "imperfections" or "blemishes" It sounds a lot less bothersome!

It is a boat that is out on the cut in all weathers. It is not a classic car that is garaged and the paintwork, no matter how good, would not be of the standard of a concourse classic car. I suspect if you compared your boat paintwork to that of a concoourse classic car you would start to become very depressed at how many imperfections it has! It could get extremely depressing. Depressing is not good so spin it all around and get more relaxed about it.

Unless you plan to start showing your boat don't worry about it and rest assured that even though these marks now stick out like a sore thumb to you, no one else will even notice them