Any washing machine engineers on here?

pearley

Featured Posts

Our 6 year old Zanussi ZWC 1300 washing machine has stopped working 3 days after the extended warranty expired.

No lights come on the panel as if there is no power but the socket is live - I've tried something else in it - and the fuse is OK.

Anybody have any ideas that I can easily check?

Check the wires in the plug to make sure that none are broken and that all the terminals are tightly screwed down.

Its a sealed plug but there is no sign of burning and it doesn't feel hot or even warm.

Our 6 year old Zanussi ZWC 1300 washing machine has stopped working 3 days after the extended warranty expired.

No lights come on the panel as if there is no power but the socket is live - I've tried something else in it - and the fuse is OK.

Anybody have any ideas that I can easily check?

If its not something simple like fuse in the plug or broken wire then it will be the main module £191 +vat.

We has a problem with ours (cold wash tripped the inverter) so we just (yesterday) got another machine off ebay for £70, cheaper than fixing the present one.

Yes, I think it's the main module as well, especially as its now decided to start working again. I did think it might be the interlock on the door but trying it now it is working, the door being open doesn't prevent any of the lights from coming on, just stops you starting the machine.

EBay is not really an option as we are CCers. It is not too bad getting deliveries from the likes of Curry's, John Lewis, Tesco, etc but from the likes of TNT, etc I think might be too difficult.

Still, as it's now working I put off making a decision until it stops again.

Yes, I think it's the main module as well, especially as its now decided to start working again. I did think it might be the interlock on the door but trying it now it is working, the door being open doesn't prevent any of the lights from coming on, just stops you starting the machine.

EBay is not really an option as we are CCers. It is not too bad getting deliveries from the likes of Curry's, John Lewis, Tesco, etc but from the likes of TNT, etc I think might be too difficult.

I collected ours from Brighton best part of 90 miles each way still that's only 3 gallons of diesel in total.

Ah yes. One of my aphorisms relating to mechanical/electrical devices is: "problems that go away by themselves tend to come back by themselves".

MtB

P.S. Forgot to mention, I have on several occasions paid a washing machine bod a fistful of money to open the filter cover I forgot about and remove a sock, or pile of soggy lint or similar.

Have you read the manual for stuff to try before calling a technician?

I collected ours from Brighton best part of 90 miles each way still that's only 3 gallons of diesel in total.

But we would also have to hire a car so that's another £30. That's bloody good fuel consumption at 60mpg!

Ah yes. One of my aphorisms relating to mechanical/electrical devices is: "problems that go away by themselves tend to come back by themselves".

MtBP.S. Forgot to mention, I have on several occasions paid a washing machine bod a fistful of money to open the filter cover I forgot about and remove a sock, or pile of soggy lint or similar.

Have you read the manual for stuff to try before calling a technician?

Last month it wouldn't pump out and after stripping out all the hoses and cleaning them, checking the filter and pump, I was just about to connect the drain hose to the skin fitting when I noticed a bit of plastic stuck in it, acting as a stop valve!

The manual, such as it is, tells you nothing except I do know now that a double LED flash of the END light means it's not pumped out.

Edited by pearley

But we would also have to hire a car so that's another £30. That's bloody good fuel consumption at 60mpg!

Last month it wouldn't pump out and after stripping out all the hoses and cleaning them, checking the filter and pump, I was just about to connect the drain hose to the skin fitting when I noticed a bit of plastic stuck in it, acting as a stop valve!

The manual, such as it is, tells you nothing except I do know now that a double LED flash of the END light means it's not pumped out.

Ah, you're miles ahead of me then with this.

I'll agree with OB's advice. I've found the washerhelp site (or one similar) can deliver some pretty heavyweight help. Reminds me of CWF actually.

MtB

It is a good job of Zanussi to have it broke days after the warranty expired, but it is a riddle how they know if it is a extended warranty or normal.

Any way, module, yes probably, but it can also be as said hoses and the gizmo that feel the water level in the machine, make sure they are not filled with dirt.

But we would also have to hire a car so that's another £30. That's bloody good fuel consumption at 60mpg

Actually the display said 72mpg but I don't belive it.

Never get less than 45+ even when I am ragging it.

The car is Skoda VRS diesel and I had my Mother with me so was driving slowly.

Its a great car, quick if it needs to be but frugal when I need it.

Not familiar with your washing machine, but if it has a conventional mechanical mains on off switch then these can sometimes fail.

A wire link is a simple and rather naughty way to fix this!

.............Dave

(snip)

P.S. Forgot to mention, I have on several occasions paid a washing machine bod a fistful of money to open the filter cover I forgot about and remove a sock, or pile of soggy lint or similar.

Our washing machine bod found a fistful of money in the outer drum when fixing a leak.; 22 quid, which I think is still the company record ... laugh.png

Iain

Not familiar with your washing machine, but if it has a conventional mechanical mains on off switch then these can sometimes fail.

A wire link is a simple and rather naughty way to fix this!

.............Dave

No, there's no separate on/off switch, it is all done from the rotary programme selector - which includes an off position. Although I have never taken ours to bits, I get the impression that this dial just sends commands to the controller, ie the switching on and off is done by software. Therefore probably the controller at fault.

No, there's no separate on/off switch, it is all done from the rotary programme selector - which includes an off position. Although I have never taken ours to bits, I get the impression that this dial just sends commands to the controller, ie the switching on and off is done by software. Therefore probably the controller at fault.

Yes.

If/when it happens again it would be worth re-seating the connectors for the main module just in case it's a bad connection. That it has started working again suggests it was not a catastrophic failure of the module.

Good idea but it is a bastard to get at. The top doesn't come off these machines like most.

Looks like the ZWC1300 uses the EWM1000 module, if you google that there's loads and loads of info available.

One of the first few links is a service manual that shows how to read the fault codes, if nothing can be read it may be the module isn't getting a supply.

The forum at UKWhiteGoods is another good place for help and info, they also have something on the EWM1000 module. A reputable appliance repair bloke should be able to do some extra checks to determine whether the module is at fault or not, that forum may be able to put you in touch with someone.

*Sometimes* the module is near the floor at the back of the machine so not to hard to get to by **carefully** tipping the machine to one side but ISOLATE THE MACHINE FIRST. ohmy.png If you don't feel confident or experienced enough to work on the machine best get someone in.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Good idea but it is a bastard to get at. The top doesn't come off these machines like most.

Are you sure? Looks to me like remove the two screws at the back and the lid lifts off from there.

haven't tried it yet and CBA to do it at the moment as sitting in the sun enjoying a pint.

Any joy pearley?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Well, its still working so I guess I'll leave it until it stops again. The best idea on here is to check the Connections on the controller, and yes, the top does come off.

I have downloaded the parts diagrams for the machine but it doesn't tell you how to get it apart.