Boats moving on the Kennet!

Steilsteven

Featured Posts

6.30 this morning saw two narrow boats pass by Burghfield. The first boats through since before Christmas!

Keith

keith you must of overslept or risen early on Sunday then as Richard [NB Louth] off the island left 7am Sunday heading downstream ,either way good to see stuff moving again Steve

The narrowboat Louth used to be Stephen Goldsborough's own boat. It has a five cylinder Nanni and raw water cooling and has surprised a few gin palaces on the Thames.I moored next to Rich for a couple of years and have to confess to envy for a great boat.

keith you must of overslept or risen early on Sunday then as Richard [NB Louth] off the island left 7am Sunday heading downstream ,either way good to see stuff moving again Steve

Blimey, how did I miss that?

The two boats I mentioned had journeyed from Hungerford and are now on the Thames, had a pretty awful trip apparently with many banks of silt, low pounds and having to get over a partially sunken tree below Sulhamstead lock.

Keith

There is a boat stuck above Fobney Lock. Its been there for months, never seen anyone onboard. Can you claim an abandoned boat as salvage? If this is your boat please put my mind at rest and tell me your not dead onboard. Just move one of the windows open, any little sign of life would reassure. I have never seen a boat looking so lost and forlorn.

Blimey, how did I miss that?

The two boats I mentioned had journeyed from Hungerford and are now on the Thames, had a pretty awful trip apparently with many banks of silt, low pounds and having to get over a partially sunken tree below Sulhamstead lock.

Keith

Sounds like we are both going to have fun getting upstream then ? ,we are offt out onto the Thames Easter weekend for a play down to Child beale with a few other boats off the island give you a wave as we pass .

As an aside do you know/have you heard what is going to happen to the building at Fobney that they are re roofing?? heard it`s going to be a café but you know what canal rumours are like

I believe the building is part of the water works and is probably being refurbished by Thames Water. The water supply for most of Reading is extracted from the Kennet just up from the lock. The area has been redeveloped as a wet land reserve and is now rather a nice place to moor if you ignore the refuse tip and the travellers site. There are a few Vandals around mainly in the summer but they are generally harmless. As I mentioned the blue boat has been there untended for months and no one has touched it.

aah so its Louth Lincolnshire where Mr Goldsborough is in retirement at end of the Louth Navigation a canal that very rarely appears on maps

I believe you'll find it on the latest Nicholson Inland Waterways Map of Great Britain - along with quite a few other 'rarities'.

You'll find the latest advice from CRT here http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/778/river-kennet-

it ends

"Although the navigation is open, our strong recommendation is not to move your boat unless absolutely necessary and you are confident of your ability and the capability of your craft. If in any doubt and you are safely moored, stay where you are. We anticipate that in another week’s time, the river condition would have eased further."

With advice like this I wonder what our friends, the insurance companies, will say if you travel and have problems

Rik

New phone...

SONY Experia, very nice, but takes a bit of getting used to

It

I also have one, you need to use predictive text and get it to check your writing style. Marple is busy today - boats on locks - holiday boats out in force

the K&A looks in a bit of a state from Aldermaston going East. some very low pounds with burst banks held up with sandbags etc. There are boats that have been stuck on the meadows for months now that might be able to move on - no doubt they will be happy about that.

Mainly though, some money will have to be spent on the banks and sluices.

Which pounds are low? The only pounds east of Aldermaston which are not at river level are the pounds betwen Padworth and Towney lock and between Sheffield and Garston lock. The river is still very high, so I would have thought the pounds would have been too.

Edited by billS

Which pounds are low? The only pounds east of Aldermaston which are not at river level are the pounds betwen Padworth and Towney lock and between Sheffield and Garston lock. The river is still very high, so I would have thought the pounds would have been too.

The one between Sheffield and Garston is about 18" to 2 feet down due to a large hole in the offside bank immediately above Garston lock. There is also a large bank of silt just below Sheffield lock. C&RT are working to sort out both these problems this week.

Keith

The one between Sheffield and Garston is about 18" to 2 feet down due to a large hole in the offside bank immediately above Garston lock. There is also a large bank of silt just below Sheffield lock. C&RT are working to sort out both these problems this week.

Keith

Oh good - I am planning to go from Adermaston to the Thames on Saturday 19th, so hopefully it will be sorted out by then.

A hire boat and a private boat were grinding their way up through Reading this morning.

Four boats, including an Anglo Welsh hire boat came up yesterday and stopped by the Cunning Man, although one decided not to attempt passing under Burghfield Bridge after seeing two of the others struggle through.

Keith

Have spent many an amusing moment watching peeps get surprised by the flow through that bridge hole as they pass the island ,need the engine in Louth sometimes

Two boats went passed us yesterday (Aldermaston) going towards Newbury, the crew on the second boat looked very wide eyed and white knuckled. {didn't see the first lot, going a bit fast, and I'm a bit slow } . They didn't have a very easy trip, and wanted to know if the Kennet to Newbury was any easier. I would recommend a look at Waterscape for anyone consider entering or leaving the Kennet , if you don't know this area. We are waiting till 28th for various reasons. Bunny