Beta Marine BD3 engine

Featured Posts

Could anyone tell me the location of the engine number on a BD3 please? (I'm not at the boat now)

I believe it starts K or M ?

Needed to reference a replacement drive plate.

Looking into getting an R&D Marine damper driveplate as a replacement, they need the info to match up.

Cheers

Bill

Could anyone tell me the location of the engine number on a BD3 please? (I'm not at the boat now)

I believe it starts K or M ?

Needed to reference a replacement drive plate.

Looking into getting an R&D Marine damper driveplate as a replacement, they need the info to match up.

Cheers

Bill

Also not on the boat at the moment but I think its stamped on the right hand side (starboard) of the engine looking forward stamped by the front foot. But that is from memory so maybe someone else can confirm.

Also not on the boat at the moment but I think its stamped on the right hand side (starboard) of the engine looking forward stamped by the front foot. But that is from memory so maybe someone else can confirm.

The only place I could find a K number was in the handbook that came with the boat. It IS a BD3 and is numbered K8533759 F10333. Couldn't find that on the engine but then I can't see properly and me specs fall off if I go upside down!

Can you tell me later your results with your drive stuff?

Ta.

This is the information that I got from Neil at Beta when he asked me for the engine number.

The engine serial No. is usually on the left hand side, looking forward, and is on the web along the lower part of the block.

It will probably be of the format - seven No’s beginning with 4

CRK3A

Three No’s beginning with 0

Typically – 4300014CRK3A041

Hope this helps

Rik

Also, on mine with the standard PRM 160D gearbox, the drive plate is a R&D 55A21.

There is a plate on the case above the gearbox which you can remove to see the drive plate. If you get someone to rotate the engine while you will watch you can see the numbers stamped on the plate. This is what my engineer did to find out which plate I needed.

Rik

Cool thanks for the answers folks

Also, on mine with the standard PRM 160D gearbox, the drive plate is a R&D 55A21.

There is a plate on the case above the gearbox which you can remove to see the drive plate. If you get someone to rotate the engine while you will watch you can see the numbers stamped on the plate. This is what my engineer did to find out which plate I needed.

Rik

Is this a damper drive plate? and did it eliminate the rattle at tickover in gear?

Cool thanks for the answers folks

Is this a damper drive plate? and did it eliminate the rattle at tickover in gear?

Can ANYTHING stop that? The gearbox manual just says increase your idling rpm. I'd be interested here too. Mine has had idle rattle for 8 years known, isn't getting worse and it stops as soon as you lift the revs slightly.

Can ANYTHING stop that? The gearbox manual just says increase your idling rpm. I'd be interested here too. Mine has had idle rattle for 8 years known, isn't getting worse and it stops as soon as you lift the revs slightly.

My BD3 also had that rattle for a couple of years. Finally I concluded it had to be the drive plate so I fitted a new one. BLISS!!!!

Fixed it a treat.

MtB

My BD3 also had that rattle for a couple of years. Finally I concluded it had to be the drive plate so I fitted a new one. BLISS!!!!

Fixed it a treat.

MtB

Interesting. Might have to look into that. Are you able to offer any tips for this engine Mike? Apart from the normal maintenance stuff.

Having never seen a Beta BD3 i looked it up.

What a beautiful machine!

I do wonder if some of you "Trad" chaps are scared of having nothing to tinker with?:rolleyes:

CT

Nope, I just don't like the sound- it sounds awfully tinny (cue the Monty Python sketch....) and clattery, with no "grunt".

Having never seen a Beta BD3 i looked it up.

What a beautiful machine!

I do wonder if some of you "Trad" chaps are scared of having nothing to tinker with?rolleyes.gif

CT

I sold mine for £4.5k! I hated it.

Far more to fiddle with on my K1 :)

MtB

That's good news, its more than I paid for mine. hug.gif

I was staggered.

The bloke who bought it was full of it and kept telling me what a shit-hot wheeler-dealer negotiator he was. Four hours later (yes, honest!) He'd agreed to pay twice what I'd have actually accepted for it. I really badly needed to be rid of it.

I still smirk to myself about that :)

MtB

I've been very pleased with my BD3. It hasn't even had a slight cold in the 4 years we've had it. Neither did the previous owner of another 4 years. (The engine, not the previous owner)

Interestingly there has never been anything taken apart. The green paint is virgin everwhere.

Except for the injector nuts. I foolishly stuck a TV mast down the exhaust pipe once to hold it up. It then rained all night.

Next day the engine refused to turn over, halting suddenly as if flat starter battery. After jump-leading the start batt to the doms, same result.

Ooh-err, I thought. Took out the injectors for their first time in 12 years, then placed a pile of blue paper 'kimwipe' across all three injector holes, turned off the fuel and operated the starter motor.

It must have reached about 700 rpm within half a second! Imagine my surprise, when I opened my eyes, to find a huge splodge of blue paper-mâché stuck to the engine room ceiling, and a lot of rusty water now coating all my engine room bling. I'm guessing that a TV mast allowed more than normal amounts of rainwater to pour down the mast and sit in the exhaust ports awaiting muggins's next start attempt.

After worriedly replacing the injectors, it started first time as if nothing had ever happened.

I pretended nothing had happened, until this day, where I have become sufficiently humbled to report it all here.

I'm still not revealing who I am though, to avoid colossal piss-taking and huge merriment.

It is a great engine. Not vintage, but very sound. If it withstood loads of water in the cylinders with a repeated start attempts without damage, it gets my vote.

I thank you for not laughing too much.

Edited by Loafer

I agree, it's a great engine. Based on the Lister CRK.

But it's masquerading as a vintage lump which it is not. And once you get to appreciate a proper vintage lump, it will have to go!

MtB

I don't think it's masquerading as vintage, Mike. It just had some brass and copper, added by Beta to make it look blingy! I'd love a 3-pot Kelvin in it's place, but Mrs Loafer says she won't be arsed trying to start one. Or anything else that requires kicking things, standing on things, aiming blow lamps at things or even changing fuel halfway through the starting procedure.

Maybe one day...

Edited by Loafer

I don't think it's masquerading as vintage, Mike. It just had some brass and copper, added by Beta to make it look blingy! I'd love a 3-pot Kelvin in it's place, but Mrs Loafer says she won't be arsed trying to start one. Or anything else that requires kicking things, standing on things, aiming blow lamps at things or even changing fuel halfway through the starting procedure.

Maybe one day...

I think you need to investigate buying Gardner 2LW then. You'll both be happy with that!

MtB

I think you need to investigate buying Gardner 2LW then. You'll both be happy with that!

MtB

Well yes, would that I were better endowed in the 'wallet area'.

I like the sound of that engine. I mean the sound it makes.

However, my 'replacement engine' fund stands at just over £5 at the moment.

Any idea where I can get one? Maybe could go to £30 if I clean out the spare change box?

Edited by Loafer