Wireless (radio)

MyLady

Featured Posts

We currently have a Roberts radio/cassette/CD player and it's fine for radio (reception permitting) except that it has very delicate thumb-wheel tuning and it only works from internal batteries or 'mains'. We also tried a DAB from Aldi, but that works fine at home (on the mains), but was useless on board.

Can anyone recommend a DAB radio that:

i) operates from the 12V boat batteries

ii) has provision for an external antenna

and a suitable external antenna?

It would be nice to get Radio 4 Extra, World Service, etc. without flattening the internal dry batteries.

TIA,

Roger

I prefer a portable DAB radio. If you get one make sure it has a dc socket on it. Mine a Roberts Gemini 15 is 6v and has a 6v socket and I run it via small DC adjustable voltage dropper from the boats 12v supply. Batteries elswhere if need be.

To the OP:-

Does your Roberts radio work off mains by plugging a 240 volt lead into the back, or does it use a "Wall Wart"?

If the latter, then you can replace the wall wart with a unit that plugs into the 12 volt supply on the boat. If the former, then depending on your battery condition a small inverter will power the radio. You can get ones as small as 50 watts that plug into a cigarette lighter type socket, if you don't already have an inverter on board.

Or it wouldn't be difficult to wire into its battery box terminals, probably 6 or 12vdc and use as I described for mine. 12vdc straight into the boats supply or if a lower voltage than 12v via a £5 voltage dropper.

Think sideways and install a car radio (as implied by previous posts).

I bought one of these:-

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-clarity-ics201dab_p-31413.htm

very good and cheaper than other recommendations.

I didn't think that DAB would work inside a tin box (well it doesn't), but the sticky-on-glass aerial actually works - well, on the Thames at least.

The stereo 4 channel appears to work as well.

It's not a huge problem to install, either.

Similarly to Geoff I installed one of these. Does everything you want on 12V and the aerial comes with a magnetic base

http://www.amazon.co.uk/485-Stereo-Player-Front-Aux-In/dp/B005DRBQPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395643483&sr=8-1&keywords=BEAT+DAB+radio

Sorry, but I don't see any aerial there, wish I did, maybe it's my specs...

To the OP:-

Does your Roberts radio work off mains by plugging a 240 volt lead into the back, or does it use a "Wall Wart"?

If the latter, then you can replace the wall wart with a unit that plugs into the 12 volt supply on the boat. If the former, then depending on your battery condition a small inverter will power the radio. You can get ones as small as 50 watts that plug into a cigarette lighter type socket, if you don't already have an inverter on board.

What's a "Wall Wart"? Mine just plugs into the 'mains', or uses internal dry cells. I do have an inverter, so I can use it, but 12V seems "better" to me. Maybe I'm wishing for the moon ... ?

Roger

Edited by MyLady

Think sideways and install a car radio (as implied by previous posts).

I bought one of these:-

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-clarity-ics201dab_p-31413.htm

very good and cheaper than other recommendations.

I didn't think that DAB would work inside a tin box (well it doesn't), but the sticky-on-glass aerial actually works - well, on the Thames at least.

The stereo 4 channel appears to work as well.

It's not a huge problem to install, either.

I don't have a 'dash' to install a car radio into - or any external speakers either. I'd much prefer a free standing, 'portable' jobby with a connection for an external magnetic mounted aerial for the roof and a 12V supply socket. No honestly, a fully 'plumbed in' car radio type would be my real preference, if only I had somewhere into which to plumb it - and it's speakers. But that sounds like a BIG installation job to me...

The cassette and CD facilities in the one I have are good, but their motors need mush fresher batteries than the FM radio, which is my only essential, for the weather forecast.

Roger

What's a "Wall Wart"? Mine just plugs into the 'mains', or uses internal dry cells. I do have an inverter, so I can use it, but 12V seems "better" to me. Maybe I'm wishing for the moon ... ?

Roger

A wall wart is a low voltage power supply built into 13 amp plug, or one with a power supply connected to one with a short mains lead, which then supplies a low voltage to the set. They look like a blob of something stuck on the wall, hence wall wart.

If you know someone with the right skills, it should be possible to modify the set to use a low voltage supply, directly replacing the batteries, or even using dowelling of the right size to replace the batteries, and making up metal end caps connected to the right supply voltage (Allow 1.5 volts of supply per cell.)

Yep its your specs mate

Last line of the product description

Product Description

Beat 485 Features:

DAB / DAB+ Digital Radio

AM/FM-PLL Tuner

CD / MP3 / WMA Playback

Front USB

SD/MMC Memory Card PLayback

Front AUX-In

Anti-theft removable panel control

4x40watts max power output

RDS function

Amber illumination

External Mount Aerial Included

Santa brought me one of these, and so far I'm very impressed.

It wasn't chosen for the Internet Radio facility, nor for use on a boat, but if you have internet available you can get all sorts of things from around the world that way.

Sound quality is pretty good for its size, DAB reception is good. It has facility for an external aerial, MP3 player, USB memory input, output for external amp etc etc., two alarms and so on.

It has no provision for running from batteries, but the supply is a 12V wall wart so could easily be run on a boat.

Tim

If your thinking of buying a portable you can always go and buy a handle to be going on with while you think about it. The handle can always be used for carrying something else if you decide against a portable.

A good plan might be to fix this handle to something of roughly the same size and weight of a portable DAB radio like a house brick for example and carry it about everywhere for a while to see if it suits you and feel comfortable with it before deciding which to buy.

An ergonomic handle would be best if carrying on long distances. closedeyes.gif

Edited by bizzard

Talking of handles, what happened to those wind-up radios? They were quite trendy years ago.

And wind-up torches ...

I use a one regularly when I'm out working on something, an old Freeplay Ranger which also has a small solar panel. No bloomin carrying handle on it though. sad.png

Edited by bizzard

Talking of handles, what happened to those wind-up radios? They were quite trendy years ago.

And wind-up torches ...

Still lots of wind up torches around. 3 on our boat. Very useful for emergencies since a quick wind gives power.

We had a Pure Evoke DAB radio with an external socket (you have to just unscrew the externally mounted telescopic aerial which leaves an ordinary F plug to use) It's 12V, but comes with a mains adapter.On the roof we have a magnetic base aerial bought from Maplins (taxi I think it was meant for) Works perfectly for all stations. Great for R5Live for the cricket!

Edit for duff info first time round.

Edited by lyraboat