Shroppie Fly

andyb116

Featured Posts

Moored up outside the Shropshire fly pub in audlem today, quite impressed with the new version having not been in for about 2 years. Beer was very good (timmy Taylor's), food we saw looked very well presented and reasonably priced, table for 6 booked for tomorrow so I'll give an accurate verdict then. Was nice to see they kept the bar with the refurb.

That's very heartening. When we first visited the Shroppie Fly it was a boaters' heaven, with live folk music and a great ambiance. After that it went downhill rapidly and has had a bad few years. We're on our way back to the Shroppie over the next couple of weeks so we'll check it out as well.

Not this boater's. I'd run a mile rather than have my pint spoiled by heedorum-hodorum noises.

Have you tried listening to it with a finger in your ear?

Apparently Folk aficionados use this method to make it sound only half as bad.

If it is still unbearable you can put a finger in the other ear too.

• Greenie 2

Well time for an update, went for the meal, absolutey spot on, great friendly service, we were never rushed, 2 courses and a couple of drinks for six all for under £100.00. Dogs seem to be welcome but only in the front bar (canal side on left as you come through the front door). Will definitely go again, should of said probably as we're hear till Tuesday anyway.

We have the canal shop next door, and hear lots of good reports from customers about the Shroppie Fly. We've also eaten there a few times, and agree that the food is very good, and excellent value. The beer seems well kept. Always Timothy Taylor Landlord (arguably one of the classic British bitters), plus others that vary, though usually one from the local Woodlands brewery.

Give the Shroppie a try - it's streets ahead of what it used to be like.

But also, when in Audlem, also visit the Bridge Inn and The Lord Combermere!

Peter

HOORAY!!

A pub posting that mentions beer.

cheers.gif

Always Timothy Taylor Landlord (arguably one of the classic British bitters)

Years and years and years ago, when TT's beers were only available in the Keighley area I went to Shipley to have a look at the 5 rise. (As a youth I was interested in inland waterways but never thought I'd own a boat when I was older)

The GBG told me that there was a pub nearby that sold Landlord, so I went there to give it a try.

Me: "A pint of Landlord bitter please"

Publican (looking hurt): "It's not bitter, it's Landlord"

smile.png

Edited by Victor Vectis

Dogs seem to be welcome but only in the front bar (canal side on left as you come through the front door).

Without wishing to stir up the old debate, that always seems the best compromise if a pub has a layout that permits it.

Those who don't want to go pubbing without their hound can, whereas those who can't stand dogs, (or maybe even are frightened of them), do not need to be where they are allowed.

A shame more pubs that could take this sensible approach don't decide to, IMO.

Without wishing to stir up the old debate, that always seems the best compromise if a pub has a layout that permits it.Those who don't want to go pubbing without their hound can, whereas those who can't stand dogs, (or maybe even are frightened of them), do not need to be where they are allowed. IMO.

Or allergic to dogs, like a good friend of ours. We always have to have a good Hoover up before they come round. (We have a long haired German Shepherd)