Coventry Victor WD3 gearbox needed

juppiejo

Featured Posts

Thanks Richard,

We measured it: the inside diameter seems about the same: 14.22 cm, which I converted to 5.59". Here some more pictures and measurements of the 'oily bits':

IMAG1752.jpg

IMAG1750.jpgIMAG1748.jpg

and the casings:

IMAG1744.jpg

IMAG1751.jpg

Does that look alike?

• 2 weeks later...

Hereby an update of my quest to find a gearbox for my Coventry Victor WD3: I was about to have the 'guts' from Richards BMC type A shipped to The Netherlands, hoping transplanting them into mine would work. Then a CV WD2 with gearbox became available... The WD2 has the exact same gearbox as the WD3. We almost have it fully installed. Only some adjustments need to be made on the flanges so the prop shaft can be connect correctly. Hereby some pictures:

IMAG1768.jpg

My cover plate near the flying wheel has a cutout for the dynastart, it is mounted on the 'new' gearbox.

IMAG1771.jpg

Connected with the engine again

• 3 weeks later...

A final update from me! After the gearbox was installed, the boat was put back into the water again. Unfortunately the reverse gear was slipping... The brake band could be adjusted easily though and the reverse gear is running now (although be it with quite some noise... the reverse hasn't been used for more than 30 years... hopefully the lubircation will fix this during the season).

What is interesting for this forum: With the documentation of my boat: I found an old document with running instructions for this "Perfecta No. 2 Reduction and epicyclic geabox". I don't know if the brand "Perfecta" has any meaning, or was just used by Coventry Victor. Nevertheless, the running instructions could be interesting. They can be downloaded here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ahEBIMSYI-Q3FXSkE3NG9KelU/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks again for all your help!

Jaap Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am new to this forum.

I recently bought a really nice boat, a vintage dutch pusher from the 1930's. It's equipped with a Coventry Victor WD3 engine. The gearbox is stuck and replacing the lamellae unfortunately is not enough: the gears are really worn out. Looking for parts hasn't been really succesfull yet, so I am also looking for a replacement gearbox. Does anyone here happen to have an old but working WD3 gearbox that's just waiting to be placed back in a boat again? Any tips? I am aware of this website http://www.coventryvictor.free-online.co.uk/ but I haven't been able to contact them yet.

It would be a pity if I had the replace the full engine.

Any other ideas would be very appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jaap Jan

--

+316281449

8$(KGrHqIOKo0FGsK6vnRRBRuezSbCjw~~60_35.J

Jaap Jan,

I still have a nice Coventry Victor WD2/3 on the shelf including its gearbox. I used to be a static display with a local Seagull Outboard dealer which I bought just for the fun of it after the business went bust. I did run nicely before I dismantled the head & cylinder in order to inspect the engine but the project was delayed due to the fact I could no longer find new gaskets.

I can still remenber fitting a rather expensive new fuel pump to the engine. The whole lot is supported by a custom made rolling support. All I know is that the engine was originally fitted to a Shell lifeboat in the fifties. The engine was carefully preserved after dismantling, and doesn't seem to be damaged or unusually worn in any way.

It is likely not the see the light of day for many years to come due to many other projects, so just give me a call if you're interested. Tel. 0031 6 28906393 (Vlissingen, NL)

Regards,

Jeroen Risseeuw

• 3 years later...