Are People Who Live On Boats Second Class Citizens?

Andy Kayll

Featured Posts

I see Carlt is still hell bent on 'winning' lol some things never change.

I wonder which nob gave that post a greenie?

Ed ah now two nobs

I guess you need to live on a boat to make that statement.

Why? Surely as a house dweller I am well qualified to say what other house dwellers might think. I have no doubt some boat dwellers experience prejudice at the hands of some house dwellers, that is not the same as the statement made which was sweeping and lacking in any evidence to support it. Edited by The Dog House

I see Carlt is still hell bent on 'winning' lol some things never change.

What does that mean?

Somebody dismissed my post as irrelevant and, using quotes and links, I proved that they were wrong, supported by other people posting their experiences.

It is called having a discussion.

I see Monkey1 is hell bent on making himself look a fool by posting derogatory comments that have nothing at all to do with the topic.

• Greenie 3

"I know my place" (unfortunately the last bit missing, taped over by Benny Hill. I do recall Benny's ditty about:

"Only a fool goes to Istanbul,

It is decadent, wicked and sinful,

But it's better than here,

'Cos they sell their beer,

Like bananas a 4d a skinful!" )

Ive been thinking some more about this and some things have struck me as strange

1, theres quite a few members on this forum, how come so few have disagreed with my statements?

2, how come no more replies at all? as after all this is quite a relevant post judging by the few replies, see point 1!

3, or is it a case of no replies the post will fade away, so the in your face answers will go away?

icecream.gif

Ive been thinking some more about this and some things have struck me as strange

1, theres quite a few members on this forum, how come so few have disagreed with my statements?

2, how come no more replies at all? as after all this is quite a relevant post judging by the few replies, see point 1!

3, or is it a case of no replies the post will fade away, so the in your face answers will go away?

icecream.gif

No I think its a case of this thread reaching its natural end as eveyone has given their views and have no more to say, to do so would only become repetition.

Phil

How many canalworld forum members are there?

I ask as if all have given their views as stated above I would frankly be amazed.

I mentioned this thread to my wife as we went to check on the boat, her reply was along the lines of (who would want to live here?) now this is not a posh marina and its also not the pits just average joe middle of the road.

I recounted to her the time I saw a woman on her hands and knees crawling along the icy pontoon to get back to her boat, wife was less than impressed, she is not a well bunny and struggles with everyday things, but still goes to work and pisses me off everyday so must still be in rude healthclapping.gif

If we aren't going to have a census anymore then the whole discussion is irrelevant

1st party or not recent experience is more relevant in this case that 13 year old experience - unless you're suggesting i'm making it up with your 'vague anecdote' wording'? I could give you the names of the people i'm talking about that would be an invasion of their privacy

I'm happy to put my hands up to not being on the 2011 census - I shared our experience with Lonewolf so am probably one of the acquaintances she's referring to. We phoned the census office on numerous occasions, were promised that forms would be sent out to our registered address, but nothing happened. There were no towpath checkers, no one knocked on our boat and I was completely unaware that there were forms in Wigan.

We gave up in the end after feeling that we'd banged our heads against a brick wall for long enough. We spent a lot of time and effort trying to perform our legal obligation and were thwarted at every attempt. It's a shame - I wanted us to be registered as living on a boat in the census.

Go outside the norm and some people will always appear to look down on you. Dress differently, dye your hair pink, a few tattoos, piercings, living on a boat whatever and some will see you as different and therefore inferior. Try owning a Springer on here if you want to know what being looked down on is like, at least us cheap little boat owners give the rest of you someone to treat as second class citizens.

K

Go outside the norm and some people will always appear to look down on you. Dress differently, dye your hair pink, a few tattoos, piercings, living on a boat whatever and some will see you as different and therefore inferior. Try owning a Springer on here if you want to know what being looked down on is like, at least us cheap little boat owners give the rest of you someone to treat as second class citizens.

K

Your post is not a serious one?

Anyone that knows boats could not be anything other than fond of Springers.

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

In your very limited experience.

Others fared better.

Ah - just read on through the thread.

Unfortunately we didn't fare better - they may have promised the form several times but it never arrived.

Your post is not a serious one?

Anyone that knows boats could not be anything other than fond of Springers.

I researched all available boat builders when looking to have my boat built over 20 years ago, and chose Springer as the only one with aspects of a 'real' boat under the waterline as well as above, as opposed to the motorised mock-trad shoeboxes that standard - however flashy above waterline - boat builders were offering.

I remain supremely satisfied and justified in my decision. They are robustly honest in design.

What does that mean?

Somebody dismissed my post as irrelevant and, using quotes and links, I proved that they were wrong, supported by other people posting their experiences.

proved?

Ah - just read on through the thread.

Unfortunately we didn't fare better - they may have promised the form several times but it never arrived.

proved?

That my experience was relevant?

Yes of course I did, I provided documentary evidence that your few peoples' experience appeared to be down to folk not knowing their arse from their elbow and forms were sent out to other folk with no fixed abode in 2011 and census workers did walk the towpaths.

Ange's experience demonstrates that the mechanism was there even if the bureaucratic competence wasn't.

I'm happy to continue the discussion of course, now that you bring it back up, even if some will use that willingness to take part in a discussion on a discussion forum as an opportunity to criticise my style and manner.

Edited by carlt