Internal Stove Collar/Trim Distance?

Featured Posts

I cut a piece of roof lining today, leaving a gap of 1/2" around the stove collar, as was preliminarily advised! However, this evening I was looking on the net to see what trims were available to eventually close the gap between flue and woodwork, and have stumbled across endless specifications stating anything up to 15" from flue to any combustible materials is the requirement, which obviously isn't ever going to happen in a narrowboat?

Anyway, what is the 'actual' accepted tolerances, just so I can make the appropriate adjustments now?

As always, any thought are much appreciated!

Here is ours by way of example - no issues. However our Epping in Back Cabin is about 4" from rear wall and the wall temp gets to 65 c which is too hot for comfort and I'm going to add some shield.

IMAG2022_zps07c46bb8.jpg

Edited by mark99

I believe the OP means the flue collar where it enters the cabin top, (I've about 4cm clearance round the flue, with a non-flammable insert)

Thanks everyone but, yes, I mean the gap between the ceiling/roof lining and the collar of the stove. :)

What non-flammable insert did you use G&F, I've only seen simple frisby-like rings so far?

http://walkerstug.blogspot.co.uk/2012_06_01_archive.html

The page covering the w/e June 2012 of my blog shows how we did the back cabin on my boat.

You will see on the photo when you find it (about 3/4 way down) the preparations for the job and you will find other references to it in the blog if you care to find them.

Although the small back cabin ranges fall outside the new stove regs (due to the small firebox size) we considered it was worth building to the best practicaly attainable standards for safety and meeting any future survey requirements.

Three main aspects to take account of are:

1 The insulation has been cut away for 65mm around the flue collar where it exits the roof. This was later replaced by ceramic wool retained by the flue trim ring which is split into 2 halves and fitted last.

2 Fireproof board was fitted behind the stove with an airgap to the insulation.

3 Because it is at the firebox end of the range, the table cupboard was also clad with fireboard and has an airgap.

Main cabin stove.

I'll edit in some info here when I get chance to locate the info (it's somewhere in the blog) as I'm a bit busy this morning but to summarise:

1 Behind the stove. "Super - isol" type insulating/fireboard with airgap behind.

2 Stove base is steel plate welded to the knees and topped with quarry tiles to come flush with intended floor level. The stove is bolted securely right through to the steel.

3 Twin wall flue with ceramic wool in the annulus.

4 Insulated roof collar with sprayfoam insulation insulation removed from roof and ceramic wool inserted behind split dress ring. The flue is effectively hung from this to allow expansion movement at the stove top.

Get this right or you might be ripping out your later work to meet the new stove regs.

Edited by andywatson

Many thanks Andy for your extremely generous post, I'll check out your blog later on the PC! Using a smart phone means I miss out on all the signatures, where I'm guessing you have a blog link...I know Smiley Pete has plenty of links, which I wasn't aware of! Great stuff all round, thanks, once again!

If the "experts" get to consider the problem they'll probably conclude that on a narrowboat you need a clearance of 8 feet all around. Of course on a widebeam where more heat is required you would need to increase this to 15 ft.

• 3 years later...
On 03/03/2014 at 20:03, andywatson said:

Thanks.

I have looked out some photos of the details mentioned. If you pm me an email address I'll send them directly to you.

Andy, I just found this useful thread after googling for the aluminium oxide ceramic wool that you mention in your blog - odd to come full circle and see your blog pop up again!

Where did you buy the aluminium oxide ceramic wool from?  I haven't had much luck in looking for it online. 

Or I'd be interested to hear of any other suggestions for a material to use there?

Cheers,
Matt

Edited by mattcyp
spelling

1 hour ago, mattcyp said:

Andy, I just found this useful thread after googling for the aluminium oxide ceramic wool that you mention in your blog - odd to come full circle and see your blog pop up again!

Where did you buy the aluminium oxide ceramic wool from?  I haven't had much luck in looking for it online. 

Or I'd be interested to hear of any other suggestions for a material to use there?

Cheers,
Matt

Andy doesn't come here too often. The last time was 3 months ago.