Hull lime scale removal

MikeHing

Featured Posts

Our 43ft boat lives on the Thames at Lechlade. The huill was 2 pack epoxied about 6 years ago and this coating is still in excellent condition.

However, there is now quite a thick lime scale deposit on the underwater surfaces which will not jet wash off. Maybe this is a side effect of being on the Thames as the water must have quite a high calcium content with some of the water coming off the Cotswolds.

I have googled lime scale remover and there seems to be a few acid type products that may be suitable without causing damage to the epoxy coating.

Does anyone have any experience of lime scale removal on this scale?

The boat is currently out of the water until Spring so now is the time to try something.

Our 43ft boat lives on the Thames at Lechlade. The huill was 2 pack epoxied about 6 years ago and this coating is still in excellent condition.

However, there is now quite a thick lime scale deposit on the underwater surfaces which will not jet wash off. Maybe this is a side effect of being on the Thames as the water must have quite a high calcium content with some of the water coming off the Cotswolds.

I have googled lime scale remover and there seems to be a few acid type products that may be suitable without causing damage to the epoxy coating.

Does anyone have any experience of lime scale removal on this scale?

The boat is currently out of the water until Spring so now is the time to try something.

1000 lemons...a squeezer...and a big bucket ?

Brick acid and an old soft nylon broom if you really must. But you could leave it- it's not doing any harm.

N

Actually I agree...

The epoxy is good...

the limescale is inert...

What could be better..?

I assume the boat isn't a racing yacht ..... Why worry about a bit of lime scale which is out of sight underwater? If the 2 pack epoxy is lasting so well it is a time for celebration rather than concern. Congratulations!!!

I assume the boat isn't a racing yacht ..... Why worry about a bit of lime scale which is out of sight underwater? If the 2 pack epoxy is lasting so well it is a time for celebration rather than concern. Congratulations!!!

Yes congratulations !

I have justed looked on Funkypigeon dot com..and will try and get you a 'Happy limescale day' card...