RED weather warning for the North West

Featured Posts

The bridgewater canal looks like a rough sea . frothy white waves and blowing a gale , the boat is rocking and rolling

That is a good point actually, it's more than just the lanky and the l&l affected.

I'll update my OP.

I've just tried to take my kayaks off the roof as they were going to do some damage (hanging off the edge anyway). When I untied the ropes securing them, one of the buggers blew off and landed on me!

Now got them in the water where they feel at home.

Even wilder now on the Lancaster!

Here in Sheffield as we were outside the amber warning area we were expecting it to be windy but not too xtreme. We were wrong.

Our local weather station in High Bradfield has recorded gusts if 94mph in the last hour! The wind is howling straight at the exposed hill side of the house and its a bit scary. Don't like listening to the house creak!

Just hope NC has stayed on her chocks!

Ive never in 30 years felt it as windy in the Ribble Valley as it was at 20:00, but the lights are still on and its abating, thank goodness.

Wind speed graph from our Sailing Club ( speeds in knots so thats a gust of nearly 90 mph)

vws738.jpg

Here in Sheffield as we were outside the amber warning area we were expecting it to be windy but not too xtreme. We were wrong.

Our local weather station in High Bradfield has recorded gusts if 94mph in the last hour! The wind is howling straight at the exposed hill side of the house and its a bit scary. Don't like listening to the house creak!

Just hope NC has stayed on her chocks!

In the Sheffield hurricane of '62 I remember The Star newspaper reporting a gust of 120mph, recorded at Western Park weather station!

In the Sheffield hurricane of '62 I remember The Star newspaper reporting a gust of 120mph, recorded at Western Park weather station!

That cannot be....it does not conform to the thinking of the the climate change brigade...

That cannot be....it does not conform to the thinking of the the climate change brigade...

I was 14 at the time and the amazing thing is I slept through it! (wish I could sleep like that now) Walked to school next morning past scenes of devastation, though I was pleased as punch to find the school full of homeless people and their belongings and teachers telling us to go home!

I remember whole estates of prefabs gone and just a forest of high level toilet cisterns stuck on top of their flush pipes complete with chains and toilet bowls. Bizzare.

Edited by nb Innisfree

very wild and windy on the upper Peak Forest - NB Gracie headed into the wind and cratch cover holding - the worst gusts were between 5 - 9pm and while it's still bad it's quietened down somewhat - quite a few fences and branches blown about though. Stay safe everyone

I was 14 at the time and the amazing thing is I slept through it! (wish I could sleep like that now) Walked to school next morning past scenes of devastation, though I was pleased as punch to find the school full of homeless people and their belongings and teachers telling us to go home!

I remember whole estates of prefabs gone and just a forest of high level toilet cisterns stuck on top of their flush pipes complete with chains and toilet bowls. Bizzare.

I was walking down Fargate on my way from King Edward's school to the bus station that afternoon and the wind actually lifted me off the ground. I think I came very close to colliding with a shop's plate glass window. I seem to remember that my Dad took me to school in the car the next morning (before heading off across Sheffield to the school in Woodhouse where he taught) so it was not until the afternoon that I realised the extent of the devastation: as the 102 bus went up Arbourthorne Hill I saw that the estate of prefabs simply was no more.

I vividly remember the simple dignity of an Arbourthorne resident, interviewed on telly after his prefab had blown down around him. "We was stood there in us night attire".

More than a little, judging by the pictures.

I was amused by the photo of the lady who had just been blown over on to the pavement by the strong wind. She never let go of her shopping for a moment. First things first.

That must have been something else again!!

Bradfield peakes at 98mph according to the local news this morning and that is more than enough for me thanks blink.png

Had to recover a few things from the garden this morning but other than that we appear to have survived unscathed. Hope the boat is till stood up now.ohmy.png

Anyone know hoe the Llangollen fared? After last years firewood bonanza, I'm not sure what's left to blow over, but it must have had a fair bit of wind last night. We were going to bob over to the boat for the weekend, but I'm not so sure now (other than to make sure it still floats

Chris Evans was enthusing about an amazing photo of a huge wave breaking near a pub on Chesil beach this morning. Supposed on the front page of the Daily express but I can't find it on the web

That must have been something else again!!

Bradfield peakes at 98mph according to the local news this morning and that is more than enough for me thanks blink.png

Had to recover a few things from the garden this morning but other than that we appear to have survived unscathed. Hope the boat is till stood up now.ohmy.png

I just had a look on the Sheffield History web site at the section about the '62 Sheffield Hurricane. Peak wind measurement was apparently 96mph, though I suspect that measuring equipment was not as accurate back then as it now. It also had quite a bit about the Arbourthorne prefabs. I had forgotten that the ones which did not actually get blown down were renovated and had steel girders placed on their flat roofs - presumably so that if there was another big blow, it would be steel girders as well as wood-and-felt roofs which were flying through the air. Thank goodness there wasn't another one before they were finally demolished in 1966.