Does anybody live aboard with a dog?

Southern Star

Featured Posts

When we first moved aboard some 14 years ago we had a GSD, a Bearded Collie, a Brichin Frise X and a Yoodle (Yorkie min Poodle X) they all sadly left us till only Duffy the GSD was left. He passed on very rapidly and we found that there was such a hole left we adopted Crazy Maisie a golden Cocker who was an ex breeding bitch. 2 years on we got Monty aka cheeky chappy he is a Westie x Chinese Crested.

All our dogs loved boat life except Monty who hates the sound of the engine so when we cruise Chris has to take him to the other end of the boat (60ft) and he is OK. Maisie is quite happy to lie on top of the engine hole.

Phil

Last Friday, my dog died peacefully in her sleep, aged 16. I had had her since she was seven weeks old. She was a rough-coated Jack Russell Terrier.

I'm still grieving for her at the moment but I'm planning to buy a narrowboat in 2016 and if I could find a doggie companion half as good then I would jump at the chance.

Sorry to read this, but I can say I know exactly how you feel.

Once you have had a dog (any dog) and you lose them you realise how much of a hole opens up in your daily life and routine, but JRT's seem especially characterful and whilst those who have an affinity with any particular breed will no doubt say the same of their favourite there is nothing quite the same as a 'Jack'.

As to your OP, we don't live aboard but I would say dog and boat ownership go pretty well hand in hand, our little dog used to love boating, he came with us from being just 4 months old even before we owned a boat and we used to hire. As Starry says be aware of the risks associated with falling in and if worried 'doggy' life jackets can be had (ensure you get the right size). Dennis used one from an early age but after a while we stopped using it as he fell in a couple of times without it and seemed able to swim sufficiently enough for us to lift him out. That said his life jacket did have a handy 'handle' on making lifting him out even easier.

OErpK8Bl.jpg

(ed for a more suitable picture size.)

Edited by The Dog House

Our lab loves every minute, stands at the stern the whole time watching the world go by.

http://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000000.pl?page=search&SS=ferrar&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go%21

I am not a live aboard as you can see but my recomendation would always be for a labrador.

So sorry for your loss. Did you take your dog driving with you?

Nick

(just to add I have no link with wareways routes, I just like the photo Paul Balmer took so I don't think the link counts as an advert.)

Sorry for your loss.

I have always had dogs whilst being on the boat, at one time 3.

They all love the boat and seem to fit into their favorite places,leaving me to whatlittle space is left! I often dream of a boat without mud.hair and grit, but it wouldn't be my boat!

My guys are on the large side, but i have always had big dogs,both are also rescues.

If you have a breed you prefer, go with it you can always make changes to your boat if you need to.

Not everyone has to totally rebuid their boat to fit their dogs, so i have been told!

I've seen just about every breed of dog on narrowboats, including Great Danes and Irish Wolfhounds, occasionally you hear of dogs that just don't take to boating but it's very rare in my experience.

I think most owners would make the boat fit the dog rather than the other way round, but I met a couple with a Schipperke (pronounced "skipperkee" I think) a few years ago and as the name suggests (little skipper) these chaps are 100% at home on the water as they were used as guard dogs on Belgian and Dutch working boats. This little dog could have walked a tightrope I'm sure so the confines of a narrowboat would be no problem.

By contrast our Lurchers may look elegant but getting on and off boats can sometimes be a hit and miss affair. Unless you are wedded to a particular breed I think I would go for something with a low centre of gravity.

Does anybody live aboard with a dog ?.................

Yes, but she is a good cook and cleaner, and the children would miss her terribly if she went biggrin.png

And she is probaby now dusting off the insurance policies

This time next year but what breed short list is Lancashire Heeler, Beagle ,Field Cocker Spaniel (her choice cuddly).

Interesting you should mention a Heeler - somebody else tipped us off about these while we have been looking.

Nice looking dogs.

Interesting you should mention a Heeler - somebody else tipped us off about these while we have been looking.

Nice looking dogs.[/quote.

You're looking then Martin, good news.

You are not betraying Dennis, you know, just getting a substitute on the pitch.

George is fed up of being compared with his predecessor,Rio. She was a female, he is not!!

Have a look at Rescue Remedies (they have a section on Terriers) if not already. Are you after a puppy?

Martyn edit to add a very important 'not'. Flippin eck! Would have changed to whole post.

Edited by Nightwatch

http://s963.photobucket.com/user/jackiep117/media/Facebook/Scruff/312970_1642389877107_1430187924_n.jpg.html?sort=3&o=14

Hi- I cant work out how to show this picture.

Anyway this little fella called Scruff was a stray and had a few health and behavioural issues, but from day 1 has absolutely loved being on the boat. We don't liveaboard- but I think he would like to

When we go for a walk down the towpath- he's recently started bolting back to the boat as soon as he is off the lead though

Nice looking dogs.[/quote.

You're looking then Martin, good news.

You are betraying Dennis, you know, just getting a substitute on the pitch.

George is fed up of being compared with his predecessor,Rio. She was a female, he is not!!

Have a look at Rescue Remedies (they have a section on Terriers) if not already. Are you after a puppy?

Martyn

We are starting to look yes - the house is just astonishingly quiet without a dog, and being honest neither of us can face going boating until we have another crew member, that might sound pathetic to some but it's just how it is. We have our daughters cat with us at the moment and the interaction is just not the same - he spends his time wandering about acting as if he owns the place.

In fact we are going to see some pups today.

For various reasons we are favouring a newly bred puppy rather than a rescue, even though yes the 'right' thing to do would be to get a rescue dog.

In a way we are consoling ourselves with the thought that if we give a newly bred dog a good and loving home it could prevent at least one more having to be rescued and re homed, that's our logic any way.

Hi- I cant work out how to show this picture.

Allow me....

312970_1642389877107_1430187924_n.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Hi, yes I live on my boat and have a Westie. I've been living aboard for 2 years and George is now nearly 16 yrs old. He has adapted very well but its a big boat and he's a little dog. He doesn't mind the engine and has only fallen in once ( that was at 11pm at night and he just missed the stern) Luckily he did swim but it was cold and dark and I panicked more than him. I work full time but have a dog walker who takes him out twice a day leaving me to do first thing in the morning and in the evening.

GetAttachment_zps53ffdae7.jpg

Sorry about the loss of yours and Martin's dogs.

Louise

Edit to add photo of George in his favourite place......

Edited by loubyscooby

TDH, if you are like us Martin being without a dog leaves a massive hole, it is not being disloyal to take on another crew member. No dog can ever replace one which has passed on, in fact in my experience every dog I have owned has been a character in its own right, everyone of them with their own traits.

In short fill the void in your life and go cruising in company once again (we did)

Phil

TDH, if you are like us Martin being without a dog leaves a massive hole, it is not being disloyal to take on another crew member. No dog can ever replace one which has passed on, in fact in my experience every dog I have owned has been a character in its own right, everyone of them with their own traits.

In short fill the void in your life and go cruising in company once again (we did)

Phil

Cheers Phil. As I indicated earlier we are off later today to see some pups (JRT's) - if we reserve one it will be just four weeks away before they can leave their mother, so that will be long enough in our minds to be without one. Everybody is different and I appreciate some might want to leave it longer but we know already it's the right time for us, besides we need something to bring this ruddy cat down a peg or two.

Edited by The Dog House

Cheers Phil. As I indicated earlier we are off later today to see some pups (JRT's) - if we reserve one it will be just four weeks away before they can leave their mother, so that will be long enough in our minds to be without one. Everybody is different and I appreciate some might want to leave it longer but we know already it's the right time for us, besides we need something to bring this ruddy cat down a peg or two.

Great news- I shall dread any photos though, because I shall be so envious of puppy JRTs. I've never had a puppy during my adult life, but have had 2 rescue adult dogs- the latest being a JRT. They are cracking dogs and I would so love a puppy JRT (- and I will do when the time is right for both). Good luck - Hope everything works out.

Let us know how you get on

Jackie

Great news- I shall dread any photos though, because I shall be so envious of puppy JRTs. I've never had a puppy during my adult life, but have had 2 rescue adult dogs- the latest being a JRT. They are cracking dogs and I would so love a puppy JRT (- and I will do when the time is right for both). Good luck - Hope everything works out.

Let us know how you get on

Jackie

Here was my little baby when she was eight weeks old... Thanks to everybody for their kind thoughts, I know I will have another dog when I do start living aboard, I'm finding there's a huge void without one.

1000314_10152032715184565_1417458313_n.j

Woodstock, Jackie you just gotta get a puppy, our latest addition to the crew, Monty aka cheeky chappy was just magical, giving so much pleasure as he discovers the world we live in, everything is new to him. He spends ages watching the washing machine, growls at the sound of ducks beaking the hull and runs rings around Maisie (much to her disgust) we only had 2 "accidents" and they were our fault as we ignored the signs, a really first class little dog.

Phil