Canal side property

churchward

Featured Posts

We are about to be house hunting and came across this. Sadly it won't fit our needs but it may be of interest to others.

It looks quite nice. I assume if I have my geography correct (I haven't checked) the lock keepers cottage is on the disconnected section of the Montgomery Canal.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42752671.html

Perhaps the Estate Agents are a bit confused:

Running the length of the side boundary is the Leeds Liverpool canal which is sure to be of interest to canal enthusiasts as well as those who wish to utilise the private mooring.

You are correct.

Lovely area, and in a nice location.

Welshpool has some good shops (and the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway) and it isn't too far from Shrewsbury.

I have been into Welshpool a couple of times and it seems quite nice. I know Llanfair Caereinion quite well and of course the railway there. My favourite of the Welsh narrow gauge lines.

We shall be looking at a house about a mile south of there next week. It is not quite going home as the Welsh contingent of the family came from the Brecon area and around the Forest of Dean although I have as yet not lived in Wales but hope to be in the next 2-3 months.

Any tips on Mid Wales living happily received.

Edited by churchward

We are about to be house hunting and came across this. Sadly it won't fit our needs but it may be of interest to others.

It looks quite nice. I assume if I have my geography correct (I haven't checked) the lock keepers cottage is on the disconnected section of the Montgomery Canal.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42752671.html

We too are about to start looking and will have our house on the market soon. We have many properties 'saved' to view when ours is on the market. We would like canal side but they come at a premium as we know..

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41299168.html

I'd like this but out of our price range atm

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42655711.html

This I like, if it is still on the market when we are then we will view

Incidentally, like the vintage engines thread is this the closest for canal related property?

The Welshpool property is nice and maybe once again if still on the market when we are then we would view it.

Please if you find any more please post them up ??

Nev

Please if you find any more please post them up ??

Nev

Only if I don't want thembiggrin.png

Actually we are not looking for a canal side property specifically just something in mid Wales (somewhere in Powys probably) with a bit of land.

Edited by churchward

.... I have many saved but ours are north Wales .....Rightmove and Google street view are quite some tools compared to 18 years ago when we last moved house.

Conundrum is too much land makes it harder to go off boating !!

Nev

• 2 years later...

I thought I did! The property adjacent to the Southern portal of the Preston Brook tunnel is on the market for sale. I can't post a link from Rightmove.

My comment was to include disbelief in the asking price.

When we went north in March last year there was major work going on landscaping thegarden. Looks okay I suppose.

I thought I did! The property adjacent to the Southern portal of the Preston Brook tunnel is on the market for sale. I can't post a link from Rightmove.

My comment was to include disbelief in the asking price.

When we went north in March last year there was major work going on landscaping thegarden. Looks okay I suppose.

Is this the house?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53802812.html

It has "its very own licensed mooring", so I guess somewhere alongside that acre of land will be enough canal frontage for an EOG.

I have disbelief in the asking price too, I thought Cheshire was supposed to be expensive? £650,000 probably wouldn't get you that much house and garden in Croydon, which is one of the cheaper areas around London.

Nice looking house, you get a lot for your money up there, As Peter said prices down south are stupid, they have been selling 2 bed flats above Lidi for 500k just down the road from me. Mind you a friend of mine has a lovely place on the S&W with a couple of moorings, it would be well out of my price range.

£650,000 in Croydon would get this, not too far short of the house in Cheshire:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46443741.html

Similar size and quality of house, but much less garden and no canal.

How funny is that. We lived there when we first got married, Shirley Oaks we had a little small 2 bed house, spent many an hour in the Shirley Inn at the bottom of the road cheers.gif .

Not a house but a land purchase just down from us.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-62077877.html

That's over a third of a million pounds an acre.

It's a lovely mooring and I am sure whoever has it will be happy there. There was about 6 acres just up near common lock that sold for about the same price as this 0.2 of an acre a couple of years back so whoever had this and there is a decent canal frontage has a shrewd investment.

I asked C&RT at the time could I put my boat there if I had the land and they sent me the moorings reduction policy, it failed on a couple of points so I lost interest, now there are boats there, I guess forgiveness is easier that permission. Good luck to whoever has it.

It has "its very own licensed mooring", so I guess somewhere alongside that acre of land will be enough canal frontage for an EOG.

I have disbelief in the asking price too, I thought Cheshire was supposed to be expensive? £650,000 probably wouldn't get you that much house and garden in Croydon, which is one of the cheaper areas around London.

True, house prices in the south-east are insane. When I moved from Epsom to Tamworth I sold a small 3 bedroom end of terrace and bought a 4 bedroom detached canalside house and the boat from the proceeds.

At the same time my youngest son bought a 2 bedroom flat which is now worth as much as my house.

True, house prices in the south-east are insane. When I moved from Epsom to Tamworth I sold a small 3 bedroom end of terrace and bought a 4 bedroom detached canalside house and the boat from the proceeds.

At the same time my youngest son bought a 2 bedroom flat which is now worth as much as my house.

Has it got a mooring, as yours has? If not, yours is still more valuable!