Coventry Canal Society "Panther"

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

I'm pretty certain that the step is part of the original design of a josher. When the elm bottom is removed there is a 3 inch step where the elm board meets the stern. In order that the step doesn't get caught a sloping plate is welded on. I have a very similar arrangement on our josher. If anyone ever decides to put back the elm bottom, nothing will have been removed. There is a similar step at the front end. I'll see if I can find a clearer photo of what I've done on our josher.

IMG_0195_zpsbacb9a43.jpg

Here you can see the step at the front.

Edited by koukouvagia

Penguin is also similar at the stern - it was out of water the other week at Sileby. Didn't notice the bow. Interestingly railway sleepers had been bolted to the underside of the uxter plate according to the owner to help reduce cavitation. The sleepers had rotted and were being replaced with some treated timber. The skeg was also badly corroded and had to have repairs done.