oxford canal cruising

colmac

Featured Posts

Hi.The plan for this summers' cruise is to travel the Oxford as far as possible and would appreciate some advice as we have never been on this canal before. We will be coming down from leamington. We are retired so have no time constraints therefore we want to build in a lot of down time to explore etc. We really need advice on two things; can we moor in Oxford and, how far down the Thames can we go before becoming involved with the Thames navigation regs ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We are an experienced crew and have a 45' narrowboat should any length restrictions exist on moorings.

Good choice. The Oxford Canal, especially the southern half, is lovely. Take your time and enjoy the scenery, pretty villages, nice pubs etc. In your 45 foot boat (same length as ours) you should be able to get round the wiggles in the route without too much trouble - and there are plenty of them.

Unless you wish to attend the festival, plan to avoid Cropredy in the first half of August - it gets very full, with boats often moored two abreast and on blind bends etc, often with no spaces for about two miles. The two days after the festival are especially chaotic as everybody tries to move off in opposite directions, use the winding hole, queue for the lock and so on.

At other times, Cropredy is one of the most delightful villages you could hope to find and will repay a couple of days' stay.

Hi.The plan for this summers' cruise is to travel the Oxford as far as possible and would appreciate some advice as we have never been on this canal before. We will be coming down from leamington. We are retired so have no time constraints therefore we want to build in a lot of down time to explore etc. We really need advice on two things; can we moor in Oxford and, how far down the Thames can we go before becoming involved with the Thames navigation regs ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. We are an experienced crew and have a 45' narrowboat should any length restrictions exist on moorings.

There are some (a couple?) visitor moorings right at the end of the Hythe Bridge Arm alongside the road near the capstan style seating.

I believe that you are on EA waters (for licensing purposes) as soon as you drop down through Isis (Louse) lock.

Roger

Edited by Albion

The Southern Oxford is truly delightful. Moorings can be had in Oxford. I seem to remember, once your past Dukes Cut, heading into Oxford, craft longer than 50 foot would need to go through Isis Lock to turn around, if you wish to avoid going onto the Thames proper and the EA licence fee. If you have some extra time though it's nice to go on to the Thames at Isis and you can rejoin the Oxford via the Dukes Cut before heading north again. A Thames licence can be obtained at Osney Lock if travelling South or Godstow Lock if travelling North. But that is quite an expensive option if you are just going to come off the Oxford at Isis and rejoin via the Dukes Cut. However if you can spend more time on the Thames it's worth it.

Ken

As you're only 45' you'll be able to turn above Isis lock.

The Southern Oxford is well worth the trip. That said, it seems a shame if you've come all of that way and don't venture out on to the Thames.

As Matty40 says, there's plenty of mooring space right at the Oxford end of the canal. It's all short stay and well policed so overstayers aren't the problem that they used to be. It does get busy though.

Should you venture out on to the Thames, plan your start time for arriving at the first lock first thing in the morning. The licence then runs to midnight on the following day, so you can get two days for the price of one or four days for the price of 3 etc.

Enjoy smile.png

Suggest you moor by the railway sidings opposite the boathire firm and walk down to the end of the arm to see what moorings are available because if you boat past Isis Lock into the arm and don't find a vacant mooring you will have to reverse out and wind at the entrance to the lock. We stayed on the ralway-side mooring and soon got used to the trains.

Our big issue were the number of lift bridges left down and difficulty in mooring to let crew (wife) off and pick-up, as well as, at least one of them needed two people to persuade it down. So suggest you beg a crew member to walk the towing path through the lift bridge sections. Don't let it put you off though as Oxford is a great place to explore and the covered market has great meat and veg.

So far I have never had a problem mooring at the very end of the Oxford canal, you may even be able to wind with your boat. If you have time to spare and have not done it before the run up to Lechlade on the Thames is well worth it. Banbury is a good place to stop and visit the museum which is free, plus the shopping and town its self.

Many thanks to all for your help and advice, it proves the worth of these forums. So if you see a 45' boat called NEL give us a wave, although waving is the default setting on the cut is it not ? Is Cropredy where Fairport Convention do there thing ? I know it dates me but I still listen to an album of there's called John Babbecombe Lee. They were the days. Wonder if anyone has a turntable record player on a boat ?

Cheers

Col

That is indeed the Fairport festival. The album is called 'Babbacombe Lee', they performed it in its entirety a few years ago at Cropredy. Simon Nicol and Dave Pegg from that '70s line up are still in the band.

I think a turntable on a boat would need such a heavy tracking weight that the stylus would almost bore holes through the vinyl! I have a twin-deck console, a Hacker record player and a Rock-ola juke box at home, but only a CD/ cassette player on the boat.

But I would not mind betting that someone, somewhere has a juke box on their boat.

There are some (a couple?) visitor moorings right at the end of the Hythe Bridge Arm alongside the road near the capstan style seating.

I believe that you are on EA waters (for licensing purposes) as soon as you drop down through Isis (Louse) lock.

Roger

Their are a couple of visitor moorings at the end of the arm but According to the sign at the start winding is limited to boats under 30 feet long,

Tim

Please, don't ignore the Thames, it's a joy to cruise (unless the River is "running" - Yellow or Red warning boards). Your boat will go a lot faster than on the canals and the locks are an absolute joy to work. Well worth the cost especially if you're canny about the time you arrive at the first lock - that's where you buy a licence.

We thought the canals were the optimum when we first started cruising - then we discovered the Thames.......

My favourite moorings, working South:

• Near bridge 124 on the summit (pub in the village)
  • Near Bridge 129, on the summit
  • Just above Slat Mill lock
  • Somerton, between bridges 196 & 198, lovely views over the water meadows (and the first point after Banbury where you really escape the noise from the M40)
  • Kirtlington Quarry, now disused and a nature reserve. Offside, about half a mile above pigeon's lock, a pleasant walk up to the village
  • Shipton Weir Lock, you can moor safely alongside the lock, in the River Cherwell (turn to face upstream first) to a couple of solid steel posts (which used to hold a sign saying no overnight mooring ...)

I would also recommend the Upper Thames - Lechlade is a good place to stay for a few days. And of course you can always try out the Thames between Eyhsham and Kings locks by entering via Dukes' Cut ....

• Greenie 1

Their are a couple of visitor moorings at the end of the arm but According to the sign at the start winding is limited to boats under 30 feet long,

Tim

Thanks Tim, I couldn't remember the length, I know its far to short for us so its backwards all the way.

Many thanks to all for your help and advice, it proves the worth of these forums. So if you see a 45' boat called NEL give us a wave, although waving is the default setting on the cut is it not ? Is Cropredy where Fairport Convention do there thing ? I know it dates me but I still listen to an album of there's called John Babbecombe Lee. They were the days. Wonder if anyone has a turntable record player on a boat ?

Cheers

Col

I know someone who has a wind up gramaphone!

Tim

Thanks Tim, I couldn't remember the length, I know its far to short for us so its backwards all the way.

Not quite Tim, you can turn a 36 foot day boat there. No good to the OP though. To avoid having to reverse out you might try reversing down. And don't forget Thrupp. You can moor there up to 14 days and catch the bus into town.

Hmmmm .... beware Marston Doles .... don't stray off the towpath .....

Other than that, the Oxford is right up in my top five canals, with a stop at the off-side moorings at Kirtlington Quarry a must ..... an SSSSSSSSSSSSI of immense oolitic interest .

Good choice. The Oxford Canal, especially the southern half, is lovely. Take your time and enjoy the scenery, pretty villages, nice pubs etc. In your 45 foot boat (same length as ours) you should be able to get round the wiggles in the route without too much trouble - and there are plenty of them.

Unless you wish to attend the festival, plan to avoid Cropredy in the first half of August - it gets very full, with boats often moored two abreast and on blind bends etc, often with no spaces for about two miles. The two days after the festival are especially chaotic as everybody tries to move off in opposite directions, use the winding hole, queue for the lock and so on.

At other times, Cropredy is one of the most delightful villages you could hope to find and will repay a couple of days' stay.

We usually aim to cruise south through the festival whilst it's on. It can be a bit slow going past the moored boats however once past the canal is nice and quiet since everyone is at the festival! Heading north a week later when everyone has gone means that there's loads of space in Cropredy.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite moorings, working South:

• Near bridge 124 on the summit (pub in the village)

• Near Bridge 129, on the summit

• Just above Slat Mill lock

• Somerton, between bridges 196 & 198, lovely views over the water meadows (and the first point after Banbury where you really escape the noise from the M40)

• Kirtlington Quarry, now disused and a nature reserve. Offside, about half a mile above pigeon's lock, a pleasant walk up to the village

• Shipton Weir Lock, you can moor safely alongside the lock, in the River Cherwell (turn to face upstream first) to a couple of solid steel posts (which used to hold a sign saying no overnight mooring ...)

I would also recommend the Upper Thames - Lechlade is a good place to stay for a few days. And of course you can always try out the Thames between Eyhsham and Kings locks by entering via Dukes' Cut ....

Couldn't agree more with all of this post.

Just to add we have always been able to moor without much difficulty pretty near the centre of Oxford (usually in June) and there is tons to see. Jolly nice if like we have on three occassions now, you manage to get a mooring about 2 minutes walk from the Old Bookbinders in Jericho.

Good advice and recommendations from forum members above.

We spent a delightful leisurely trip down to Oxford and back last Spring.

Loved the Cherwell Valley, particularly the area south of Aynho Wharf. Peaceful and quiet and fantastic wildlife.

Woken by curlews, watched kingfishers and dippers. Great villages to visit along the route - along with easy mooring in Oxford - just opposite the Jericho - and a 5 minute walk into the centre of Oxford.

Trust you enjoy.

Bob

• Greenie 1

Though I'm from the North, the Oxford, well South Oxford, may be my favourite canal.

We hit Cropredy a few years ago in the middle of the festival... and there was a water shortage...but it was a great experience - you do have to know how to handle your boat though as moorers leave no margin for error.

All canals seem to have their own atmosphere, and it always seem to me that the Oxford is really laid back. We met some lovely people on our trip both ways and I can't wait to return.

We will be getting on to the Thames for the first time this spring, so was interested in the comment from Old Goat about being "canny about buying the licence" - It's likely only going to be just one day we will be on the river, perhaps two, so what is the best time to start or buy the licence ?

Thanks,

Nick

We will be getting on to the Thames for the first time this spring, so was interested in the comment from Old Goat about being "canny about buying the licence" - It's likely only going to be just one day we will be on the river, perhaps two, so what is the best time to start or buy the licence ?

Thanks,

Nick

I seem to remember that if you buy a one day licence you get a complete 24 hours (midnight to midnight) IN ADDITION to the remainder of the day you purchased the licence. So if you buy it early in the morning you can effectively get two days of cruising in before it expires midnight the following day.

Ken

Thanks,

Nick

The Answer Is -

(roll of thunder)

09:05

I didn't say it but - provided that the first lock you pass through after coming on the Thames is Eynsham or King's or Osney, there's nothing to stop you mooring overnight tucked well away from the lock.

Very naughty, against regulations and so forth - but I'd rather have you cruising on the River.....

Thanks,

Nick

See the last paragraph of my post 6

Thanks guys,

We are on the K and A near Aldermaston, so we will have to move a bit nearer to Reading, without actually being too near overnight (!) and start off early to cover the rest of the way, say a couple of hours "in" from the Thames... The plan would be to get up to the South Oxford, have a few days on that and then come back.

Nick