barby moorings

yellowpages

Featured Posts

Went to have a look round last week. There were a lot of boats but no sign of any building. I was told it was due to start this year so there may be some disruption with the roadways. It is really not much more than a hole in the ground and I certainly wouldn't part with any money until I saw a lot more evidence of something happening. I went into Mercia when it was much like Barby, I had to wear hiviz and a hard hat. The difference was that Mercia hadn't been running already for 3 years and they had a decent office without the smell of cats pee and a manky old parrot in a cage.

In reality I don't think I will be moving into Barby next year

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are now just six pontoons to go for completion.

It depends what facilities you feel are important.

It is probably the cheapest Marina in the area, free pump out for moorers, reliable water supply that doesn't freeze and good security.

As has been suggested up thread, go and take a look.

I kept my boat there for a month recently whilst having some work done on it. I spent a few nights on board but not the full month.

Having read the slating it has had on here, I was quite impressed. There is still work ongoing, but I would not describe it as a building site. As has been said by others, it has water, leccy and I can vouch for the good security. I was stopped twice and asked who I was and I believe it has cctv covering the approach road unrecognizable cars are challenged on entry.

I'm also led to believe the prices are very reasonable. I would highly recommended going for a look around and speak to a few of the moorers.

Go and look round it to see if you are happy with what is there.

Doesnt look like that will take long

It won't !

EDITED TO ADD:

That said, there's not necessarily anything wrong with something that provides fairly basic facilities, if the price and atmosphere is right.

It's just that this one promised the earth at the outset, and clearly whatever it is now, it certainly isn't yet what was being promised back then.

Edited by alan_fincher

Spoke to a wide beam owner at Leighton Buzzard on Sunday ( 60ft by 11ft), he was going to Barby for the winter ( he was there last winter), as the Northern Oxford is a narrow canal this wants stopping, I saw a wide beam in the first week of September at the top of Hillmorten, what on earth is happening. If things don't get sorted out soon I will sell my narrowboat, buy a wide beam and get it dropped in at Aylesbury.

Spoke to a wide beam owner at Leighton Buzzard on Sunday ( 60ft by 11ft), he was going to Barby for the winter ( he was there last winter), as the Northern Oxford is a narrow canal this wants stopping, I saw a wide beam in the first week of September at the top of Hillmorten, what on earth is happening. If things don't get sorted out soon I will sell my narrowboat, buy a wide beam and get it dropped in at Aylesbury.

Ay up?

Don't understand what needs sorting out?

We have a WB 57ft. by 10.10 and we've been up to the winding ol past Barby Moorings a few times with no issues, and yes we passed other boats both moored and oncoming, one of which was a fairly wide CRT work boat with no issues. And to add a bit of honey to the pot, it was in the "busy season" and we were very much novices.

I appreciate it wouldn't be all that pleasant to get stuck behind a WB for any length of time as we need to travel so slowly to avoid disturbing the banks and moored boats, but I would hope that most are like us, and pull over to let narrow boats past as often as possible.

• Greenie 1