Drive Plate? speculation please

HappyBunny

Featured Posts

Ok .... I know online diagnosis is no good, but just while I'm having a brew and collecting my thoughts .....

as I left a lock earlier, I lost drive, forward and reverse .... thought it was just leaves at first ...

No knocking or clattering noises ..... propeller there and tight and clean ..... oil in gearbox .... but no usual slight clunk as she goes into gear .... and no drive ......

helpful boater I was sharing lock with reckons drive plate gone .... I'm not very knowledgeable about that end of things (though I think I am about to become more knowledgeable), more used to things with wheels

any thoughts? ..... any good mobile spannerwielders in the berkhamstead area?

bunny cheers.gif

Have a look through the weed hatch.

Hopefully its a loose prop, still retained by the lock nut.

If not, get your snorkel out and start backtracking, presumably to the entrance to that last lock where you engaged reverse. I guess the prop will be easy to find on the bottom of the cut, but the lock nut and woodruff key will be long gone.

Edited by jake_crew

It's hard to understand if you have confirmed prop shaft actually spins in each direction as required, and that prop is still both firmly attached and not fouled, how you are getting little or no drive.

Is that still the case - i.e. very definite spinning of the shaft, but no "oomf" out the back?

Is there any possibility that although you can see the shaft turning, it is actually doing so far slower than it should be?

What type of gearbox (and engine) do you have, please?

Is there a joint in the propshaft between the gearbox and the stern tube?

I had exactly the same with Lady A this week - engine was turning the prop shaft at the right speed, but the propshaft coupling between the gearbox end and stern tube end had become loose to the point it was slipping and hardly turning the prop at all. Tightening the bolts on this joint cured it - no cost and 30 seconds work!

Unless I've missed something, you've not mentioned if your morse cables are intact and operating the gearbox selection leaver correctly?

Just a thought, there are two, one runs to the engine, the second to the gearbox. If the morse cable to the gearbox has broken in neutral, you'll have exactly what you describe, engine noise but no prop engagement.

Love this forum and all the help you get in a crisis clapping.gif

Alan has just called in and spotted that the prop was turning slower behind the flexible coupling than in front .... and spotted that she has dropped the square key thingy and a grub screw ......phew!! not drive plate .....

Richard was on the phone and has given me some top tips for getting the key back in .... but tomorrow, methinks, as the light is going now .... and I always check my morse cables first after one breaking before .... hmmm that was fun .... but

CHEERS everyone cheers.gif

Love this forum and all the help you get in a crisis clapping.gif

Alan has just called in and spotted that the prop was turning slower behind the flexible coupling than in front .... and spotted that she has dropped the square key thingy and a grub screw ......phew!! not drive plate .....

To be fair I found.....

1) Thingy moving relative to other thingy that shouldn't be.

2) Square key thingy laying in bilge that looked like it might be designed to prevent 1)

but not (knowingly!)

3) Grub screw thingy.

Perhaps grub screw thingy not being where it should be is why square key thingy is also not where it should be, and hence (again!) 1).

Sorry I couldn't delve further, but I was committed to getting the car back home in time for Cath to use it to attend her Partnership meeting.

Good luck, (and glad it is not worse!)

The frightening thing about thingys is that aircraft are absolutely full of `em and somewhere there will be a split pin thingy that if it falls out the whole thing falls out of the sky (never flying again now I`ve thought of that)

The frightening thing about thingys is that aircraft are absolutely full of `em and somewhere there will be a split pin thingy that if it falls out the whole thing falls out of the sky (never flying again now I`ve thought of that)

Not even with Bee? smile.png

Ah but there is usually a smaller split pin to keep the big split pin thingy (normally called a 'clevis pin') from falling out. I often think there should be an even smaller spilt pin or other device to keep the ordinary split pin in place, and on it goes...

:)

MtB

Ah but there is usually a smaller split pin to keep the big split pin thingy (normally called a 'clevis pin') from falling out. I often think there should be an even smaller spilt pin or other device to keep the ordinary split pin in place, and on it goes...

"Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em, and little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum ..."

smile.png

MtB

"Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em, and little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum ..."

And helicopters have 10 times as many of them

A happy ending then....

Not yet, but it sounds like it may be possible to resolve without new bits?

Hopefully, that is - I'm not sure exactly what RLWP has been able to say to Happy Bunny.

Almost certainly though very much easier to sort out than the original fear that the drive plate between engine and gearbox could have failed.

At least she is broken down at quite a pleasant spot with good access to pubs, shops and transport!

Does the prop shaft go round (in opposite directions) when you select forward and reverse, and stop when you select neutral? If it does, then the problem is with the prop. If not then you probably have drive plate or gearbox problems.

Well it was neither of those. But at least you have a minimal cost repair!