Black swan

Gazboatman

Featured Posts

Spotted this one today on the L&L at Rodley..

Anyone else seen one of these? First one I've seen on the canal network anyway.

Lovely bird. smile.png

I haven't seen a Black Swan actually on a canal but I have seen them from the canal if you see what I mean (An area of water visible from the canal).

Brought to this country from Australia in 1791 they first bred in the wild in 1851. The 2008 - 2011 BTO Atlas shows them as present in 3% of the Tetrads of the country and having been proved to breed in 1%. Probably bred (birds present in the right habitat at the right time of year) in another 1%

As you say lovely birds and for once an alien species which hasn't run riot taking over the countryside (unlike the Canada Goose)..

There's a pair on the Thames between around the entrance to the K&A. I have heard stories of them attacking ducklings and even cygnets but have never seen it happen, their reputation may be due to the way they defend their nests. I was told they were probably originally escapees from Child Beale wildlife park. They certainly make a lot of noise when they appear alongside looking for food.

ETA: Repeat of posts above!

Edited by JDR

Nor very mute, if the ones round here are typical !

They seem to like to mimic all sorts, from sea gulls to barking dogs...

Yes! God alone knows why anybody would call such a vocal bird Mute! At least Mute Swan is easier to get your tongue round rather than Cygnus olor

I haven't seen a Black Swan actually on a canal but I have seen them from the canal if you see what I mean (An area of water visible from the canal).

Brought to this country from Australia in 1791 they first bred in the wild in 1851. The 2008 - 2011 BTO Atlas shows them as present in 3% of the Tetrads of the country and having been proved to breed in 1%. Probably bred (birds present in the right habitat at the right time of year) in another 1%

As you say lovely birds and for once an alien species which hasn't run riot taking over the countryside (unlike the Canada Goose)..

Who's got an Observers book of birds then?clapping.gif

There used to be one on the Fossdyke when we first had the boat there. He disappeared a few years back but was later spotted on the Trent (same bird as it had a distinctive patterning on its head!!)

We first saw them on the Broads when we were hiring.

We see them quite often on the Severn. Local opinion is that they are escapees from the WWT at Slimbridge.

They don't really prosper in the UK as they are a gregarious bird, whereas our own Mute Swan becomes very territorial and agressive during the breeding season.

The Black Swan, being smaller, usually comes out second best during these confrontations, often fatally so.