Unpleasantness at Fobney Lock

Kiwidad

Featured Posts

A female boater managed, with the help of the tiller arm, to persuade a burglar to stay in her boat til the police arrived. This was a couple of days ago, in Hackney. She was very brave. He has previous and is going down.

Goodness me, that really is brave, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have dared. What a good outcome :)

There used to be security cameras at Fobney lock, but they may have been more to do with the adjacent factories rather than the canal.

I have encountered young people swimming in the lock on several occassions whilst single handing, but it was never a problem to persuade them to get out and help me work the lock instead.

Moved from the prison to be on a canalized section in case the river rises. Moved from Tescos to get above Blake's lock before the stoppage.

There are no problems with river rising at the prison as this is controlled by locks. Woolhampton could be a problem if there is too much water

Few years ago there was a telephone number direct to the local policeman that covered that area , because of the local trouble . We stop at the Cunning Man or if the river is being kind The Bell and Dragon in Reading for a pint and a meal. Last time we used that mooring the hook up was free. Bunny

We stopped by the wetlands there twice this summer. Either because it was fairly busy with walkers and cyclists, or maybe we were just lucky, but we had no problems except for getting stuck in the lock on the way down (underestimated just how much it tapers, sharing with a boat of unknown width)

I fear you have been misinformed - unless you like huge drinking barns. A decent pub in Reading is harder to find than a contented Welshman.

Try the Anglers* near the junction of the K&A and the Thames. Not the smartest pub but good ale cheap basic food and very pro boaters. A short walk up and over the bridge from the Tesco river moorings.

*It's not the Anglers - its the something Anglers or the Anglers something, one of two similarly named pubs, but it's the one nearest the Thames.

Try the Anglers* near the junction of the K&A and the Thames. Not the smartest pub but good ale cheap basic food and very pro boaters. A short walk up and over the bridge from the Tesco river moorings.

*It's not the Anglers - its the something Anglers or the Anglers something, one of two similarly named pubs, but it's the one nearest the Thames.

Think you mean the Fisherman's Cottage right by Blakes Lock? http://www.fishermanscottagereading.co.uk/

We moor just upstream of Fobney and have been through dozens of times with only I issue ,Find the stella drinking adults are fine if you talk to them and get them to help with the lock it`s the kids that cause most of the problems...mind you having 2 great big hairy arsed german shepherds on the boat probably helps .

There is a rumour about the old pumping station being turned into a café no idea if any fact to this but if true would hopefully help the situation with old bill being called more often .

You can encounter the same muppets at Southcote lock in the summer sometimes esp if the police have moved them on from Fobney.

Scrambler moto x type bikes being ridden down those sections of towpath can be a bigger danger imo esp if you have crew walking ahead to the lock .

Early or late in the day passage should mean no bother as stated

Which one is Fobney? Is this it? (picture taken below lock)

utf-8BUmVhZGluZy0yMDEzMDQxOC0wMDIwMS5qcG

I was there for about 3 hours last May when the river was in spate and CRT had closed the lock because of some problem with the gates or paddles. I think they were only opening it from 10am - 12noon and then from 3pm - 5pm. Typically I arrived at about 5 past 12. I didn't realise it was a reputedly dodgy place. Anyway, I didn't have any problems there.

A stupid ignorant comment.

Ian.

Lighten up and get a sense of humour for gawd sakes! He was obviously joking!

Edited by blackrose

well that is two words I have never expected to be seen in the same sentence....unless miserable separated them...

Went past last week and I had a similar thought myself.

it looks like a nice pub from outside but mooring there does not look very attractive or feasible.

Whilst not all anglers are miserable i have only ever met one who could be called jolly.

...........Dave

Whilst not all anglers are miserable i have only ever met one who could be called jolly.

...........Dave

The last angler I met helped me with a lock and insisted on giving me a bottle of beer. But he was an immigrant and obviously hadn't integrated very well.

• Greenie 1