Mink on the Macc

Señor Chris

Featured Posts

Sadly yes they are getting more common.

I live on the Leeds Liverpool.and see them quite often.

The last couple of years the number of ducklings surviving are very few.

I have seen the mink dragging a fish bigger than itself along the bank edge

and also a adult size mallard duck.

They look attractive animals and I know they have to eat. Sadly there are no native animals

ferocious enough to fight back.

Saw an american mink on our mooring at Henhull on the Shroppie a couple of weeks ago. This is the first time in the twenty-odd years we have moored there that I have seen one there. A shame as we have also had water voles return nearby. I did think that there hadn't been many ducklings around this year.

It was only a young one and at this time of the year they tend to be on the move looking for new territory, but it does show that they are around now.

There have been mink on the Macc at times for a good many years. I have seen several over the years it is so sad to see a duck with 7 or 8 ducklings one day and then half the number the next and so it goes until only one or two survive. Mink don't just kill to eat, they kill for the sake of it.

I did see an otter once in the pound at lock 10 or 11 at Bosley ( would have been about 8 years ago). Cheeky bugger swam across the pound, climbed out on the opposite side of the lock where I was and sat there watching me for about a minute. No one at the marina believed me until the BW foreman called one day and we spoke of it; he said " Oh yes, I've seen an otter down there several times" it was a beautiful little creature.

Would be great to see an otter. I know they can be surprisingly brazen at times - I saw one on the steps of Tobermory harbour once with a crowd of people watching from a few feet away. The amusing thing was the cries of horror from some of the onlookers when the otter, having just retrieved his breakfast from the water in the form of a nice juicy eel, began to chew its head off while the thing was still alive.

Strange, I haven't yet seen one on the canal, despite fishing it for years. I've seen plenty on the rivers though, especially the Dane.

Just south of Higher Poynton! Approaching by boat probably helps - he seemed just as surprised to see me as I was to see him.

the otter, having just retrieved his breakfast from the water in the form of a nice juicy eel, began to chew its head off while the thing was still alive.

They probably didn't realise how long an eel wriggles after it is dead due to a large nerve ganglion in the tail. I have seen a headless eel swim away!

We have Mink in Braunston Marina - we had one make its way into our front locker via the drain hole - made a terrible mess and the smell was pretty foul as well. Gone from the boat now as I fitted a grill over the drain holes but they have been seen swimming in the water near the turning point in the road.

• 8 months later...

Saw one on the canal by the Trafford centre a few weeks ago, complete with baby one (cub or kit apparently) in tow.

Say thank you to the animal right activists who got it so wrong.

I don't know who is to blame, but, the activists claim the farmers released them whilst blaming the activists, and vice versa. That argument has been going on for some years.

Edited by Guest

Saw one on the canal by the Trafford centre a few weeks ago, complete with baby one (cub or kit apparently) in tow.

I don't know who is to blame, but, the activists claim the farmers released them whilst blaming the activists, and vice versa. That argument has been going on for some years.

I can't see why the farmers would release them. I can see the bottom falling out of the market but not to the extent that the animals were totally worthless. I also realise that some would escape from captivity on fur farms. However I seem to remember the media publicising releases while fur was still being used.

Edit: The BBC shows a report for August 98 where a spokesman for the Animal Liberation Front claims responsibility for the release of 6000 in Hampshire.

Edited by Jerra

I can't see why the farmers would release them. I can see the bottom falling out of the market but not to the extent that the animals were totally worthless. I also realise that some would escape from captivity on fur farms. However I seem to remember the media publicising releases while fur was still being used.

Edit: The BBC shows a report for August 98 where a spokesman for the Animal Liberation Front claims responsibility for the release of 6000 in Hampshire.

No idea sorry. Just relaying some things I have read over the years, and like most things, it is always the other guy's fault.

if 6000 released in 1998, 16 years of mink frolicking will have increased numbers somewhat.

Some will have died, some will have travelled.

Guess now part of our wildlife, never seen one yet.

We only usually see one or two on a summer cruise. Saw one a couple of years ago when we came out of a tunnel on the T&M. It was very relaxed as we sailed really close to it, seemingly unperturbed by the exhaust which was very close to the creature. Didn't have the camera to hand though.

I have been told that they are capable of killing cats. I think my Jack Russel would have dealt with them effectively in his youth, as would my sister's one time Ormskirk Heeler dog.

I have a place on the coast here in Georgia. The ones that live amongst the stones in the jetties are flat out brazen. They will until an angler steps away from his tackle box and sneak up and steal his bait. They will also rummage through beach goers' coolers. I've seen more than a few stand down dogs as large as Labradors.