What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

This was the Gardner engine header tank (below) just fabricated in stainless and pickled last week..... a bit rough

WORK057_zpscfe84bf3.jpg

Now it's fully polished and it looks like this below (mirror finish)

IMAG2602_zps133d8232.jpg

And I've spent today putting it up with new sightglass and getting rid of the rubbish plastic header tank that was there before.

IMAG2625_zps0da949c7.jpg

IMAG2629_zps95a67b23.jpg

Edited by mark99

The spare pressure gauge for engine is now plumbed in and tested. It's mounted on a rubber mount tagged onto the tail of a 1/2 inch Gardner head bolt. (BSF thread............ smile.png )

The connection used is a braided hydraulic (brake) hose.

IMAG2640_zps0d2b951a.jpg

I found an old squashed up matchbox inside the old bourdon gauge. And inside the gauge ball valve (valve since removed) was a plug of wood.

Rear of pressure gauge bracket below.

IMAG2572_zps77535059.jpg

Got the old 1940's Bialadin pressurised parafin lamp working properly so that's now in permanent situ and operable.

IMAG2644_zpsba486de3.jpg

Edited by mark99

This was the Gardner engine header tank (below) just fabricated in stainless and pickled last week..... a bit rough

Now it's fully polished and it looks like this below (mirror finish)

IMAG2602_zps133d8232.jpg

And I've spent today putting it up with new sightglass and getting rid of the rubbish plastic header tank that was there before.

IMAG2625_zps0da949c7.jpg

IMAG2629_zps95a67b23.jpg

I like the Dali-esque reflection of the clock in the polished header tank

Bought a pattress box (funny name!) to replace the one I broke while fitting my GI. I bought the GI 2 years ago, just got around to it.

Pattress boxes are funny things (the thing you screw 13A sockets to). The plastic ones don't seem to come with knock-out holes for wire access on the sides, but the metal ones do. Always learning something!

The plastic ones are designed to mount on top of a wall, so the cables would route backwards into the wall itself. The metal ones are designed to mount inside the wall, and provide a flush mount socket, so they have the option to send the cable out sideways (or up or down). You can get plastic ones with punch out sections in the sides, but they are fairly hard to come by...

The plastic ones are designed to mount on top of a wall, so the cables would route backwards into the wall itself. The metal ones are designed to mount inside the wall, and provide a flush mount socket, so they have the option to send the cable out sideways (or up or down). You can get plastic ones with punch out sections in the sides, but they are fairly hard to come by...

Every plastic box I've ever bought has had knock-out sections in all four sides.

I have been fettling, my new oven top casting for the Epping arrived some time back and needed a bit of easing to make it fit. I've been taking my time and now only need to do a final check for tight spots before reassembly . Will have to round up some insulation , have some to go collect next week.

Not taking bets on when I will have a working stove again, life keeps getting in the way.im getting there though.

Thanks! As I mentioned, always something to learn.

Things have moved on so much since I first started fettling (in the 60s) that I feel I'm falling far behind. I have just moved house and the construction methods and materials differ quite a lot on this 11 year old house compared with my previous 28-year old one.