What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Have been giving our pigeon roof some love.

This is what it looked like on Friday:

DSC_7330.embedded.jpg.2214fab46c97c23232d484276c75b734.jpg

Under the GPS the original colour of the varnish is revealed - this is about 4 years' difference:

DSC_7331.embedded.jpg.df32d8b95e9908dd438b9e608d16fe8f.jpg

Sanded the top beam back to the bare iroko:

DSC_7332.embedded.jpg.1ad68077e37d25ddb89411ee32bf027f.jpg

We will be redoing this box and the wheelhouse this summer with Sikkens Cetol HLS Plus and Filter 7 Plus. This beam is the test piece and looking good:

DSC_7334.embedded.jpg.4d6ec6c0cf52a14bc7a02a9c0e56526c.jpg

Lots more sanding and varnishing to be done - but it's been scorchingly hot and we daren't leave the roof open because of the dreaded mosquitoes. So this was the other project - 12x55mm hardwood strip, put together with 6mm dowels and jig to drill the holes:

DSC_7335.embedded.jpg.a6010005ad775c4b6ad2fbf20a8aec3d.jpg

Varnished and then covered on the back in 1.5mm aluminium insect mesh, stretched out and staple gunned in place:

DSC_7337.embedded.jpg.b04939b18eb3265eecd4e4c756552efb.jpg

A quick notch in the side and up it goes!

DSC_7342.embedded.jpg.5834fd2a823bca962fa0f56f045d8bca.jpg

Now we can leave the roof open... on one side at least until I make up the other one!

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

The pesky mossies will get through that cutout... stuff some kitchen roll into it :)

Oh I know! Was thinking to stick some of that long brushy draught excluder stuff around the inside of the cutout, so it can have the opening screw still run through it OK but still keep the little buggers out.

9 hours ago, Giant said:

Oh I know! Was thinking to stick some of that long brushy draught excluder stuff around the inside of the cutout, so it can have the opening screw still run through it OK but still keep the little buggers out.

Can you get that stuff on a flexy backing? That'd be a neat solution :)

We removed our old BW index numbers which were looking very shabby and were in a less that ideal position, obscured by the canopies when they were on, and replaced them with some new ones in a much better location.

We also finally got around to removing last years Broads Authority visitor licences which were stuck to the screens. Will need some room for the Caledonian Canal ones soon!

20170530_151300.jpg

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We removed our old BW index numbers which were looking very shabby and were in a less that ideal position, obscured by the canopies when they were on, and replaced them with some new ones in a much better location.

We also finally got around to removing last years Broads Authority visitor licences which were stuck to the screens. Will need some room for the Caledonian Canal ones soon!

20170530_151300.jpg

Where did you get the logo from?

I like the idea of having them on a window.

6 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Where did you get the logo from?

I like the idea of having them on a window.

Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-waterways-Canal-and-River-Trust-License-sticker-/262999380790?hash=item3d3bfc1336:g:WzwAAMXQ3kNTjg2k

ETA:

They are much neater. Before:

20170525_192922.jpg

After:

20170530_151315.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Ray T said:

Considering it is a hand cranked machine your stitching is brilliant - well done.

sorry to disappoint but it is both and this was done on power, have done a few inch by hand and its not much different. 

Iam going to have  ago now and see the difference lol.

Looking good as always Rach B),

Give me some real close up of the canvas work, looks smart, i need tips on this now lol.

2 minutes ago, W+T said:

sorry to disappoint but it is both and this was done on power, have done a few inch by hand and its not much different. 

Iam going to have  ago now and see the difference lol.

Looking good as always Rach B),

Give me some real close up of the canvas work, looks smart, i need tips on this now lol.

I will get you some better pictures of the hoods this weekend when they are put on properly!

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I will get you some better pictures of the hoods this weekend when they are put on properly!

Its ok Rach just pulling your leg, we went up to Ullswater and had a look at a few but not much about to look at on there.

I just want an excuse to look at boats for a while lol.

7 minutes ago, W+T said:

Its ok Rach just pulling your leg, we went up to Ullswater and had a look at a few but not much about to look at on there.

I just want an excuse to look at boats for a while lol.

The trouble you will have is that your hard top isn't very long. If you put a piece from the back of the hard top to the rear of the transom it will slope at such an angle that the cockpit will not be usable with the hoods up.

The canopy maker at our marina comes across this on a regular basis. He adds an extra bar into the canopies to make the back squared off and the back of the cockpit useful.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

The trouble you will have is that your hard top isn't very long. If you put a piece from the back of the hard top to the rear of the transom it will slope at such an angle that the cockpit will not be usable with the hoods up.

The canopy maker at our marina comes across this on a regular basis. He adds an extra bar into the canopies to make the back squared off and the back of the cockpit useful.

That is the plan, to have the rear section more at 90 deg as possible . I have got an idea for the frame so it all folds down nice and maybe use the cross section of the canopy frame as a back rest for the seats, just need to work out on if it will be strong enough for that use with a few supports added down to the seats.

I will post it in my blog when i can get a good diagram of it all.

I mite be extending the hardtop by another 6 inch yet so then this will cover the helm position more and then a set of LED eye ball down lights for the deck area.

Busy busy. Decided not to bother refitting chimney. Instead replaced the 2 cheapo 4 year old leisure batteries with 3 smart new ones. Took the opportunity to upgrade Ajax from all 12v to 240v with a 1000w (2000w peak) pure sine wave inverter. Luxury!