What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Note the customer reviews, e.g.:

"Not the advertised material

The photographs online show Slick UHMW sheet - which used to be what Axminster supplied. What arrived was HDPE sheet - a completely different material. HDPE is low friction, but nothing like as low as UHMW and less expensive. To avoid confusion, the photograph should be changed and the material stated in the description. "

I didn't buy the sheet, I bought the roll. Whatever it was it was bloody slippery. 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I didn't buy the sheet, I bought the roll. Whatever it was it was bloody slippery. 

How did you stick it on then?

One of the well known properties of PTFE is low coefficient of friction, which leads to it being difficult to stick things to it. I note this stuff isn't PTFE though.

And when did you buy it? Before or after the comments about the product supllied not matching the photos?

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How did you stick it on then?

One of the well known properties of PTFE is low coefficient of friction, which leads to it being difficult to stick things to it. I note this stuff isn't PTFE though.

And when did you buy it? Before or after the comments about the product supllied not matching the photos?

I bought it probably around 5 years ago. The box looks identical to the one in the picture.

The reverse side is sticky (pull off protective sheet style) but I had to first flatten the roll with a heat gun because it's not 'that' sticky and would have lifted before it had time to cure if it still had the curve in it. Once I'd stuck it down I closed the hatch (with a bang because it slid so fast!) and allowed the weight of the hatch to assist the adhesive cure. 

I saw some in Axminster (I have a store very close and sometimes visit just to drool) a few weeks ago and the box looks just the same. 

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have been working away down in my cellar over the winter salvaging a rotting gangplank and tarting up the cabin top equipment in general.

IMG_0634.thumb.JPG.1a55570326529da81c51bf78c210c15f.JPG

Is that in preparation for lying on to leg through Dudley Tunnel.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Is that in preparation for lying on to leg through Dudley Tunnel.

Hadn't thought of that but I was thinking that lying directly on the steel deck across the cants might be a tad harsh. I was assuming we will be fine width wise but something to put across the cants to make a level surface might be good. 

We have washed the canopies this weekend. Found that Daz hand wash powder works really well. And then we have treated them with a product that kills mould and stops it reappearing, allegedly.

Next dry weekend we get we will reproof them and then they are good to go for another year.

Not fettling as such but we have ordered the new outboard today for the dinghy.

We have decided that the Mariner 6hp that we have is just going to be too heavy to lug around when we are in Scotland so we have decided to buy the ever reliable Honda 2.3hp to take with us.

Hopefully this should arrive next week so that we can spend next weekend running it in.

I replaced an under-the-bed water tank. Since I am not supposed to lift stuff, I screwed in a cross beam across the boat with a pulley lift system. To pass from one end of the boat to the other I had to pass under the beam. For various reasons I had to place my feet carefully while doing this. Concentrating on this, I managed to bang my head on the beam no less than five times by the end of the day. I am very pleased to have succeeded in putting in the new tank but I can no longer remember why I decided to do this, or what my name is.

13 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I replaced an under-the-bed water tank. Since I am not supposed to lift stuff, I screwed in a cross beam across the boat with a pulley lift system. To pass from one end of the boat to the other I had to pass under the beam. For various reasons I had to place my feet carefully while doing this. Concentrating on this, I managed to bang my head on the beam no less than five times by the end of the day. I am very pleased to have succeeded in putting in the new tank but I can no longer remember why I decided to do this, or what my name is.

Water on the brain most likely, cure is a tap on the head.

We spent yesterday running in the little Honda now we can use it as normal. Have to say we are really quite impressed with it.  It scoots along quite well and seems to be outrageously frugal. We ran it for three hours yesterday and used less than a litre of petrol!

20170408_105354.jpg

20170408_135929.jpg

Today's job is getting some Fabsil on the canopies then getting a few more hours on the motor. 

5 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We spent yesterday running in the little Honda now we can use it as normal. Have to say we are really quite impressed with it.  It scoots along quite well and seems to be outrageously frugal. We ran it for three hours yesterday and used less than a litre of petrol!

20170408_105354.jpg

20170408_135929.jpg

Today's job is getting some Fabsil on the canopies then getting a few more hours on the motor. 

We have an older bf model Honda. Still going strong after 15 years. Starts first time. Even took a capsize last year. Better than those old seagull engines of old. 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

We have an older bf model Honda. Still going strong after 15 years. Starts first time. Even took a capsize last year. Better than those old seagull engines of old. 

We have bought this one as our current 6hp Mariner is a bit heavy for wielding around when we are at sea. 

It won't get loads of use. We will use it when we go away but the rest of the time it will be in the garage at home.

Today I have mostly been moving batteries. The boat has always had a pronounced list to port. Experiments with coal sacks indicated that moving thne four house batteries to the other side of the engine room should correct it. A friend made and welded in a new battery tray and this and the surrounding area has been painted. The batteries are in and I have relocated the big fuse, some of the wiring and installed the isolator switch in a shiny box. Lots more still to do. I need to make a new battery cover and clamp. Some more wiring needs fitting and the engine battery needs a new tray, clamp and cover. Worst of all, the hideous rusty mess around the old tray has been revealed. Lots of descaling and painting to do. Pleased with the progress today. I have power again!

The change has evened up the boats trim. The new location means I can check the electrolyte level without having to lie on the engine and peer in to each cell with a torch and a mirror. They may get more regular maintenance in future!

Jen

•  

tmp_12542-IMG_20170409_155432679-475006849.jpg

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Topcoat *2 raddle red rear 1/3 boat.

20170408_131350_resized_zpsppvxgmac.jpg

20170408_124647_resized_zpsoi0mtkkb.jpg

20170408_090754_resized_zpshsbqwgux.jpg

Alkyd non fade/yellow varnish faded paintwork to reveal rich colour and try to preserve scumbling.

20170408_124732_resized_zpsdbc70n1x.jpg

20170407_140721_resized_zpsez6obvrh.jpg

20170408_144036_resized_zpsyatd0jhk.jpg

REWIND 2 weeks ago.

20170318_123410_resized_zps6dlbpoz8.jpg

• Greenie 1

I have swapped out my Vetus pump out fitting for a Lee San one - so now I can actually use it. Had to take a partition wall apart to get access, and widen the existing hole by an annoying amount but looking forward to an easier life in the future.

Oh... dishwasher fitted and working :)

We could split this topic in two: this one for canal boats and another one called "What has Naughty Cal fettled today" - I reckon the two would have similar numbers of posts! There's always something needs doing on a Narrowboat, but seagoing cruisers take it to another level! :D

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

We could split this topic in two: this one for canal boats and another one called "What has Naughty Cal fettled today" - I reckon the two would have similar numbers of posts! There's always something needs doing on a Narrowboat, but seagoing cruisers take it to another level! :D

There is always something to fettle!

Engine next. Might get Easter out of the way first though and try and have a few days away without needing to fix anything :rolleyes: