What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

And very smart it is too :)

Why thank you kind sir :)

Currently varnishing the inside of the front doors.

Should be finished by Friday!

Edited by cuthound
To add the last sentance.

Renovo cleaner, soft top reviver and soft top ultraproofer.

In future I am going to try Fabsil Gold waterproofer, because you can get 5 lites for the cost of 1 litre of Renovo waterproofer.

One coat of each uses about 500 ml bottle, and at around £15 per bottle of each,  means cleaning, reviving and waterproofing the cover costs around £45.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not today but I fitted a new engine silencer last trip. Before and after.

DSCF8145small.jpg

DSCF8174small.jpg

A little tip for next time... it will prove far more effective if you fit it to the engine and not just some piece of random pipe on a jetty. 

13 hours ago, cuthound said:

Renovo cleaner, soft top reviver and soft top ultraproofer.

In future I am going to try Fabsil Gold waterproofer, because you can get 5 lites for the cost of 1 litre of Renovo waterproofer.

One coat of each uses about 500 ml bottle, and at around £15 per bottle of each,  means cleaning, reviving and waterproofing the cover costs around £45.

Much cheaper than buying a new cover though.

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Much cheaper than buying a new cover though.

Absolutely, DQ will be 10 in November, and the cover is still as good as new.

It was in a sorry stare when I got it,  so had some tears repaired by Kinver Canopies, and I have cleaned, revived and waterproofed every year since.

Since retiring, keeping on top of all the little jobs is my new career :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just fitted a shower in my boat without a gas water heater.

Why? ...... because I hate gas water heaters and gas fridges.  Pilot lights scare the beejessus out of me.  A throw back to the number of exploded boats I saw in the 60/70s.

If I could dispose of my gas cooker I would, however, no pilot light and I can check the taps and switch off at the bottle as and when.

So my 35ft steel nb with an air cooled engine and a 30 sq inch toilet area and gas not being an option (apart from the cooker) was the challenge.

I found a caravan breakers and bought a fibreglass shower tray/vanity unit and sink with a spray and rail.

I fitted the tray to the floor with the vanity unity in place.  I then drilled a hole for the skin fitting that connects to the sink plug. I bought a small 12v pump from eBay (China) it took 4 days to come! The pump was fitted into a bracket so it sits in the lowest corner of the tray (I couldn't be bothered to fit a sump) A shower curtain across the front and another one to protect the three walls and channel any wayward water back into the shower tray. I fitted a length of copper piping from the galley to the bog, at the galley it has a funnel fitted and at the other end it lets into the shower tray.

How does it operate?

Two kettle loads of hot water and one saucepan are poured into the funnel along with a kettle of cold (trial and error needed there) Gravity transports it into the shower tray and about fills it. About 3-4 litres I guess.

Clambering in I then turn the pump on and use the spray. There's sufficient volume to give a constant flow and enough pressure to get it everywhere. Sliding it onto its rail I can use two hands.

When it comes to emptying it I then relocate the spray to its socket on the sink and it pumps out the tray and the water then goes out the plug through the skin fitting and over the side.

It works well (so far), I quickly got fed up with the cold clammy shower curtain wrapping itself around me.  So I put a magnetic, adhesive strip along the inside of the tray and stuck washers inside the hem of the curtain, that kept the bugger away.

Costs ......

Ex caravan shower and vanity unit ........ 70.00

Pump                                         ........  5.00

Shower curtains (eBay)                ........  9.90

I also used bits of wood and switches/wiring etc I already had. If I'd had to buy it all I can't see it reaching £100.

It's a bit of a Bloke invention and I can well imagine some ladies would be aghast, if only because the chem bog has to sit in the tray, and I quickly got fed up lifting it out so I now tend to sit on it when using the shower.

Enjoy the mental image everyone.

• Greenie 1

I have made new hammocks for the new ferret cage I am getting for my birthday.  The old ferret cage will then be taken apart and put together on our boat (when we get one) so we don't have to pay to have the ferrets looked after when we we are on it.  Does that count?

On 7/27/2017 at 14:46, Tawny75 said:

I have made new hammocks for the new ferret cage I am getting for my birthday.  The old ferret cage will then be taken apart and put together on our boat (when we get one) so we don't have to pay to have the ferrets looked after when we we are on it.  Does that count?

Yes, but only on the condition that when you get a boat you come back to this thread and post a photo of your foating berrets.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Got my engine mounts replaced (no, I didn't do it myself, too busy). 
  • Fitted a handbasin in the bathroom. Speedfit is great!
  • Fitted a cot platform in the bedroom for my 2yr old granddaughter
  • Reinforced my dinette bed. Not strong enough as originally designed.
  • Broke a mooring ring (second time in just a few months).
  • sundry other stuff

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Twelve months ago Hampton looked like this.

P1210479.jpg.7569b76e96614048d9bf7ffd1f140b5e.jpg

Same view. Yesterday we were adding the finishing touches, lace, plates and bits of brassware.

20180121_110051.jpg.9388576ea66c29ad42cc3bcc5be98cdb.jpg

See you have joined the 'shiny boat brigade'........

L

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/09/2014 at 21:43, Naughty Cal said:

Washed the saloon seat covers this evening. Getting the foam back in the fabric covers was "interesting".

G

There is an uber thin poly film for the job: bag up your cushion foam, apply vacuum to shrink cushion, insert in cover, remove the film. Sailrite video tip.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

There is an uber thin poly film for the job: bag up your cushion foam, apply vacuum to shrink cushion, insert in cover, remove the film. Sailrite video tip.

You have just reminded me that this is a job that needs doing again in the next few weeks. Deep joy :rolleyes:

On 10/07/2017 at 14:55, cuthound said:

Cratch cover cleaned, re-coloured, waterproofed and put back on.

20170710_145231.jpg

On 10/07/2017 at 14:55, cuthound said:

Cratch cover cleaned, re-coloured, waterproofed and put back on.

20170710_145231.jpg

Is that a catflap? lower right

Edited by LadyG