Electric heating?

basalt

Featured Posts

Might be a good option. One thing I do know is that electric heating, if viable, will cost a fortune to run.

While I agree with all the other reasons not to use electric heating off shore power, if you're on shore power and paying a reasonable rate then the cost of electric heating is probably one of the cheapest.

Paraffin creates a huge amount of water in the form of condensation unless paraffin heaters have changed from my childhood back in the days of Esso Blue.

Phil

It's incorrect to say that burning parrafin (or gas) produces condensation - they actually produce water vapour. Condensation is only produced if that water vapour meets a cold surface and condenses and that will vary from boat to boat and depend on the conditions. If the paraffin heater can heat the space sufficiently then the water vapour will remain in the warm air and doesn't have to condense at all. Anyway, I never get any condensation in my boat when I use my 2.5kw parrafin heater, despite being told by forum members that I do!

Springers are great little boats which don't deserve the poor reputation they suffer from, but they simply weren't designed for year round cruising.

Wouldn't that depend on the fit-out and installations on the particular Springer? I used to live year round on my 45ft Springer as a bridge hopper (15 years ago). It had a solid fuel stove and was very comfortable in winter.

Most outboards on cruisers will still have a small alternator which should be capable of sticking the power used by a blown air heater back into the batteries with little fuss.

We've got an outboard motor that's not going to allow us to charge on the move...

Edited by blackrose

Condensation, water vapour, same same to the average Joe. My post was only pointing out the blindingly obvious that by using a paraffin heater you run the risk of drowning inside your boat.

I am aware of how and why condensation forms but that is not the point, you, I'm sure you would agree, the 0P needs only sensible suggestions to overcome his problem my post re condensation was just intended as a heads up regarding creating another possible problem CONDENSATION.

Phil

• Greenie 1

Wouldn't that depend on the fit-out and installations on the particular Springer? I used to live year round on my 45ft Springer as a bridge hopper (15 years ago). It had a solid fuel stove and was very comfortable in winter.

Of course it would. I know plenty of people who live on Springers. Some on Springer Waterbugs.

It's well outside what they were designed for though. For winter use, I would want something with much better insulation than any Springer I've ever been on. And certainly, something with a bigger water tank.

The point you made about electric heating is what I was trying to get over though. A fan heater for a couple of hours on shoreline is no great shakes, and will require no remodelling. Total cost will be about £20. It means you can't travel off-mooring in winter, but so what?

Of course it would. I know plenty of people who live on Springers. Some on Springer Waterbugs.

It's well outside what they were designed for though. For winter use, I would want something with much better insulation than any Springer I've ever been on. And certainly, something with a bigger water tank.

The point you made about electric heating is what I was trying to get over though. A fan heater for a couple of hours on shoreline is no great shakes, and will require no remodelling. Total cost will be about £20. It means you can't travel off-mooring in winter, but so what?

I actually agree 100%, and if on sensibly priced shore power would use electrical heating at least some of the time myself.

However, the OP did say " ..fine if we're moored near an electric point and don't mind trailing a cable to the boat but at guest moorings in town we wouldn't have that option.." This is what i based my answer on, and assumed he wouldn't always have mains available. If he does, then it is a very different scenario.

I've probably arrived in this thread a bit late for the OP but just in case you come back- have you looked at a davey hot pot sfs? I had one on a 25' boat it was brilliant. It was mounted on a cement bed on top of a drawer by a bulk head (obviously install any stove safely!). They are tiny but with practice you can keep it running non stop. i replaced it with a paraffin Taylor's stove because I'm an idiot- it was evil and not to be trusted so unlike the hot pot I couldn't leave it running over night. Hot pots are pricey but if you're lucky you may find a second hand one.

I've probably arrived in this thread a bit late for the OP but just in case you come back- have you looked at a davey hot pot sfs? I had one on a 25' boat it was brilliant. It was mounted on a cement bed on top of a drawer by a bulk head (obviously install any stove safely!). They are tiny but with practice you can keep it running non stop. i replaced it with a paraffin Taylor's stove because I'm an idiot- it was evil and not to be trusted so unlike the hot pot I couldn't leave it running over night. Hot pots are pricey but if you're lucky you may find a second hand one.

Never seen those before. They look a seriously good piece of kit and would have been perfect on our previous boat.