cigarette sockets suck, anyone tried kettle type connectors?

Featured Posts

I have never seen a mic on a 4 pin xlr do they exist?

4pin is the industry standard for 12/24v.

No, but I have seen 4 to 3 pin converters used to send power down three pin XLR multi-core, Intelligent lighting fixtures also use XLR to carry DMX signal. Ditto I have seen socapex to speakon adapters, although have only hear of the effects produced by putting 240vac over speaker stack second hand!

Can be done, will be done... but we're going a little off topic.

Daniel

I have used kettle type plugs and sockets but they are awkward to wire up and I honestly wouldn`t use them again, I have no 240v on the boat except a lead line to a battery charger, I just use 12v for everything.

Wow thanks for replies, an emotive topic ;) we have no 240v on board only 12v. Glad to hear some people have had success with the "kettle lead" type IEC connectors. My issue with the cigarette types isn't overloading or burning them out, its the crap welding inside which doesn't withstand things being plugged/unplugged regularly, we've had ours apart to solder so many times. Maplin bought but obviously not well built. And the DIN ones are all a bit unsightly unless you go to the bother of nicely mounting them in some wood which I don't have time for. Ideally would like a little mountable "bank" of three of the kettle type ones

I have used kettle type plugs and sockets but they are awkward to wire up and I honestly wouldn`t use them again,...

We (my grandad and co, largely before my time) used the flush mounted screw on type, mounted through the plywood under the gunnel. Short none removable section, with a 240vac and 24vdc outlet where required, removable (screwed on) sections between, all cables run inside. The tabs on the back are the right size for the female insulated spade terminals.

We they have a 24->12 step down unit, which runs a car radio, and fag socket for phones.

Get the ones with spade connectors on the back and just crimp the required terminal onto the cable, plug and play....

Daniel

Wow thanks for replies, an emotive topic wink.png we have no 240v on board only 12v. Glad to hear some people have had success with the "kettle lead" type IEC connectors. My issue with the cigarette types isn't overloading or burning them out, its the crap welding inside which doesn't withstand things being plugged/unplugged regularly, we've had ours apart to solder so many times. Maplin bought but obviously not well built. And the DIN ones are all a bit unsightly unless you go to the bother of nicely mounting them in some wood which I don't have time for. Ideally would like a little mountable "bank" of three of the kettle type ones

I think they look pretty good. I set these in a standard blank socket.

DSCF2214_zpsa7f7735c.jpg

The plugs I use are also screw connections for wiring, so very easy to put a new plug on something or to re wire any fault. There are several different mountings available as well.

Problem I see with kettle lead set up is generally in my experience the plugs are sealed and generally have quite heavy cable attached. Andas I mentioned some gadgets such as 12v usb chargers will require a ciggy socket, so you'll have to adapt a 3 pin kettle plug to a ciggy lighter socket for anything 12v with it's own dedicated ciggy lighter plug.

We have a mixture of kettle lead and cig lighter outlets for the 12V on Fulbourne, the cig lighter sockets tend to be where phone chargers are used and the kettle lead sockets for more permanently plugged in items (We use 3 pin sockets for 240v)

Works well

Tim