cigarette sockets suck, anyone tried kettle type connectors?

Featured Posts

Tired of cigarette sockets breaking on the boat, they just aren't built well for daily use in my opinion. I've read threads about alternatives, DIN ones etc, but was wondering whether anyone's installed these IEC sockets (kettle lead types) like this...

www.olson.co.uk/iec320_options_fused.htm

Cheers, Hannah

Tired of cigarette sockets breaking on the boat, they just aren't built well for daily use in my opinion. I've read threads about alternatives, DIN ones etc, but was wondering whether anyone's installed these IEC sockets (kettle lead types) like this...

Cheers, Hannah

Clickable link.

The problem is that it gives the possibility of shoving 240 volts up something designed to take 12 volts.

Before anybody says so, obviously if you use round 3-pin 5 amp, (or 2 amp) sockets originally designed for low-power mains, (as many do) the same theoretical possibility exits.

However you are unlikely to have your 12 volt plug near any such socket actually wired to 240 volts, in that case.

But you may well have kettle leads about the place, and someone could plug 12 volts into them if you dis.

I'd not recommend it!

BS546 round-pin plugs and sockets are still available, but do look for proper BS ones and not cheap counterfeits. I've used 2 amp, 5 amp and 15 amp sizes for 12 volt electrics in boats and they will handle more current than the rating indicates. They provide good low resistance connections, unlike the average cigarette lighter plug and socket.

Cigarete sockets suck rse full stop.

If your mains 240v sockets are ALL of the traditional 3 pin type then I cannot see a problem with converting the crappy fag sockets for round 3 pin 5amp sockets, utilising only 2 pins (live+neutral).

That's what we've done and it works a treat.

If it is your own boat, and you make sure that any 12v equipment has the correct plug on it, there should not be any problem using 5amp round pin plugs and sockets, which is what we have on our boat. Alternatively you could consider using caravan two pin plugs and sockets which can be bought from Caravan accessory supliers.

Here:- http://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=172

If your mains 240v sockets are ALL of the traditional 3 pin type then I cannot see a problem with converting the crappy fag sockets for round 3 pin 5amp sockets, utilising only 2 pins (live+neutral).

Well that just shows that its a stupid thing you have done.

If you must use 3pin round connectors then you don't use L&N, if an item was taken off the boat and plugged into a 230v socket, yes they are still in use, it would go bang loudly.

If however you had used N&E it would not.

Why people insist on using round pin 230v connectors when there are other 12v and 24v connectors out there I have no idea.

Cheers, Hannah

Tried anything like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-20A-CIGAR-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-POWER-SUPPLY-CAR-ACCESSORY-SOCKET-/221214835614

Cigar plugs and sockets are not that bad if they're only used for very low current but its important that its cleaned regularly as I described above. I have one that I run my DAB radio and charge phone battery from, purely so I can use the plug in my car as well. It has worked faultlessly for about 10 years.

Cig sockets only suck if you overload them.......

I have to admit that I actually find the terrible.

We use the IEC plugs, live for positive , neutral for negative, earth pin n/c, with no issues in the last 22 years and counting. Although it in my mind far from idea. Past threads have suggested using the earth pin for negative, and the neutral for positive, leaving the live non/connected, which I like a lot more.

As said, other option are;

- Round pins (still used and common in India...)

- The 12v blade type used in caravans

- The larger 110v american blade types

- The CigLigher compatible system who name escapes me.

Daniel

And if you don't wink.png

Well mine don't and I even run a 12v electric drill from some of them.

How do you get 5vusb without either building a dedicated PSU, that is beyond most on here or using a cig to usb adapter.

My whole on board network, router,hub,wifi etc all runs on 5v usb. Dab radios are all 12v>7.5v adapters again unless you build your own a cig adapter is almost a necessity.

Why people insist on using round pin 230v connectors when there are other 12v and 24v connectors out there I have no idea.

Go on then... what other 12v ands 24v connectors specifically, please? Isn't that what the OP was asking for?

I'd like to see some options not involving 240v kit too please, coz I have all the same problems with cigarette lighter type sockets.

Thanks.

MtB

Well mine don't and I even run a 12v electric drill from some of them.

How do you get 5vusb without either building a dedicated PSU, that is beyond most on here or using a cig to usb adapter.

My whole on board network, router,hub,wifi etc all runs on 5v usb. Dab radios are all 12v>7.5v adapters again unless you build your own a cig adapter is almost a necessity.

I use these for a 24V electric kettle, they are good but be warned there's quite a bit of force needed for unplugging.

The DIN sockets are better than the ordinary cigarette lighter sockets, but there's also significant variation in quality with the cig lighter type. Those Durite cig lighter sockets that were linked to seem better than average.

My DAB radio has a 12V input, incidentally.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Well that just shows that its a stupid thing you have done.

If you must use 3pin round connectors then you don't use L&N, if an item was taken off the boat and plugged into a 230v socket, yes they are still in use, it would go bang loudly.

If however you had used N&E it would not.

Go on then... what other 12v ands 24v connectors specifically, please? Isn't that what the OP was asking for?

I'd like to see some options not involving 240v kit too please, coz I have all the same problems with cigarette lighter type sockets.

Thanks.

MtB

In the film industry they use 4 pin XLR connectors to run their portable 12/24v lights.

Neutrick make a range called speakon which are used for professional speaker systems and come in a variety of pinconfigs and could be adapted for use, safer than 230v or for really high current there are anderson connectors.

Personally as said I have never burnt out a cig connector but then I don't overload them.

i have just bought one of those to fit for the USB charger unit. It seems to be made to a much higher spec than the standard type.

$(KGrHqR,!n4FHbjD-w4kBR3T)WCF)!~~60_35.J

Edited by David Schweizer

Cheers, Hannah

Agreed cigarette sockets are utter crap.

On the boat I've used Din plugs & Sockets, a far superior product and excellent connection. there's an excellent range here.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/switches/12vacc.php

The entire boat is fitted with Din sockets. Sometimes though you have to put up with ciggy lighter plugs. My sat nav for instance has a regulator in the lighter plug so I can't rewire to din. There's a couple of other 12v ciggy things with usb chargers in them to, for those I just have to use adapters from Din to Uk ciggy socket,

Having practiced as a fully paid up member of the electrical contracting fraternity for the past 20 some years I have to disagree (with Loddon) Moreover the likelihood of 99% of the population having round 5a 3pin sockets at home is slim to non existant.

Edited by jodansgang

In the film industry they use 4 pin XLR connectors to run their portable 12/24v lights.

Neutrick make a range called speakon which are used for professional speaker systems and come in a variety of pinconfigs and could be adapted for use, safer than 230v or for really high current there are anderson connectors.

Yep, which is really awesome when you plug a mic into them, or turn a £500 speaker into a low voltage heater! Gotta love XLR.

The speakon range is cracking connector however!

How do you get 5vusb without either building a dedicated PSU, that is beyond most on here, or using a cig to usb adapter.

Our 300w MSW inverter has one off the side of it...

But yes.

Daniel

Yep, which is really awesome when you plug a mic into them, or turn a £500 speaker into a low voltage speaker!

The speakon range is cracking connector however!

I have never seen a mic on a 4 pin xlr do they exist?

4pin is the industry standard for 12/24v.

I've used good quality lighter sockets for many, many years with no problems. The key words are "good quality". It is so much easier to be able to plug in standard lighter plugs into the sockets without going for a proprietary solution. Having said that, I do have a couple of 3 pin 2A sockets for 12V lights. but the lights won't be going any where near a 230V 3 pin 2A outlet.

The problem with fag sockets is purely down to poor contact which in itself is directly related to compatability issues between socket manufacturers and plug manufacturers, a problem made infinitely worse if you try to use an adaptor which supposedly enables the user to connect more than one accessory.

A range of products made by a manufacturer called CBE offer a variety of suitable outlets of various guises. You can also now purchase 240v socket outlets with built in 5vdcUSB outlets incorporated in the front plate.