Winter Moorings, how many paid for them last year

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

I think it would be hard to get a good idea from this thread along, but after a summer of CC'ing we again took up winter moorings this year.

Due to the breach we couldn't actually get back to Anderton where we have wintered recently, so did a winter on the towpath at Stone following negotiations with CRT. This winter we shall be back at anderton.

Daniel

I think it would be hard to get a good idea from this thread along, but after a summer of CC'ing we again took up winter moorings this year.

Due to the breach we couldn't actually get back to Anderton where we have wintered recently, so did a winter on the towpath at Stone following negotiations with CRT. This winter we shall be back at anderton.

Daniel

Surely Anderton is all Visitor Moorings

I have just read the CRT page on this, and at first reading this all seems very reasonable, and provides a lot of flexibility. So I don't know if I really understand what the issues are, but perhaps the following is the main one?

Using Braunston as an example, in previous years some/much of the visitor moorings have been used a winter mooring, and they are permanently signed as such on the towpath signs with date this dates. In addition part of the towpath on the Oxford (which I don't think is signed as visitor mooring) was set aside for winter mooring.

With this year scheme this will no longer happen, as with a few exceptions there will not be dedicated sites, just a permit to stop in one place for the period purchased (this I guess is the main crux of this years scheme?). However you will not be allowed to stop under the permit with 1km of a marina, so in Braunston's case as there is a marina there, you have to go 1km on either the GU or Oxford out of Braunston. Is this the issue, meaning that if you want to say somewhere like Braunston you would have to take up a winter mooring in the marina, as there will be no online wither moorings available there.

Is this what the issue is?

So

I have just read the CRT page on this, and at first reading this all seems very reasonable, and provides a lot of flexibility. So I don't know if I really understand what the issues are, but perhaps the following is the main one?

Using Braunston as an example, in previous years some/much of the visitor moorings have been used a winter mooring, and they are permanently signed as such on the towpath signs with date this dates. In addition part of the towpath on the Oxford (which I don't think is signed as visitor mooring) was set aside for winter mooring.

With this year scheme this will no longer happen, as with a few exceptions there will not be dedicated sites, just a permit to stop in one place for the period purchased (this I guess is the main crux of this years scheme?). However you will not be allowed to stop under the permit with 1km of a marina, so in Braunston's case as there is a marina there, you have to go 1km on either the GU or Oxford out of Braunston. Is this the issue, meaning that if you want to say somewhere like Braunston you would have to take up a winter mooring in the marina, as there will be no online wither moorings available there.

Is this what the issue is?

So

while you are at it "how long is a piece of string?"

i am sure CRT will bring in exceptions but then maybe not. For example what happens when the Marina is full. For example last year I was on the Rufford Branch and both Marinas were full

As they can't offer winter moorings on visitor moorings due to the fact that they can't patrol effectively surely as they have implemented daily patrols at Foxton, Thrupp and Stoke Breune they would be easy sites where a provision could be made...........oops then those pesky CC'ers might start exploiting a clause in the 1965 Waterways Act, damn them. (:-

while you are at it "how long is a piece of string?"

i am sure CRT will bring in exceptions but then maybe not. For example what happens when the Marina is full. For example last year I was on the Rufford Branch and both Marinas were full

But am I right that this is how it will work this year? I would assume its is not relevant if a given marina has space or not?

The one month moorig fee is the eqivalent of £1600 per annum which relates to an online annual mooring. However since you could have 14 days anyway you would be paying this for about 16 days which is over £3000 per annum equivalent.Doing a similar calculation the three month permit is about £1500 per annum and the five onth permit is about £1060 per annum. Since I wouldn't want a five month permit and probably not even three this is rather expensive.

The one month moorig fee is the eqivalent of £1600 per annum which relates to an online annual mooring. However since you could have 14 days anyway you would be paying this for about 16 days which is over £3000 per annum equivalent.Doing a similar calculation the three month permit is about £1500 per annum and the five onth permit is about £1060 per annum. Since I wouldn't want a five month permit and probably not even three this is rather expensive.

With a one month, you actually get six weeks, as with the others, you will get 14 days beforehand.

I think you are the way it reads at present. I can understand the reasons for the exclusion zone but maybe they need to look at it area by area.

The exclusion zone adds an interesting twist, but I guess 1km is not really very far, and most places on the system don't have as many marinas as the Braunston area. The key really is that this is a permit to stay for the purchased period in one location (or multiple locations if you choose to) rather than for a single location dedicated to winter mooring.

Edited to add, some of the stretch on the Oxford at Braunston that has previously been used for winter mooring is more than 1km from the marina anyway.

Edited by john6767

The exclusion zone adds an interesting twist, but I guess 1km is not really very far, and most places on the system don't have as many marinas as the Braunston area. The key really this that this is a permit to stay for the purchased period in one location (or multiple locations if you choose to) rather than for a single location dedicated to winter mooring.

Dont get me wrong I think it is good (well I would do!!!) but it needs a bit of tweeking and I am sure CRT will look at certain areas such as Braunston

Dont get me wrong I think it is good (well I would do!!!) but it needs a bit of tweeking and I am sure CRT will look at certain areas such as Braunston

Actually there is nothing to say that Braunston will not be one of the areas where visitor moorings will be available for winter mooring use, they only give Llangollen and Ellesmere as examples, and of course Ellesmere has a marina in the town too.

So to the ones who are not happy with this scheme, could they collaborate on what the issues are.

then those pesky CC'ers might start exploiting a clause in the 1965 Waterways Act, damn them. (:-

The 1965 Waterways Act empowered BW “to construct works and to acquire lands; to relieve the Board from their obligation to maintain certain waterways for navigation and to extinguish rights of navigation thereon;”

Not much scope therein for pesky CC’ers to exploit!

Hi

Do you think ccers should get cheaper moorings when they decide to not cc? If you go on a winter mooring then you are certainly not ccing for that time period. My mooring for instance costs me 3k exactly per year which is part of my boating costs I willingly pay because boating is not cheap.

There will be winter moorings this year as other years going back for donkeys years so there will be no problem. In fairness to all types of boaters winter moorings should be the same price per rota that the average mooring fee in that area is surely? I have had some good winter moorings bw type on a few occasions over the years.

Tim

Hi

Do you think ccers should get cheaper moorings when they decide to not cc? If you go on a winter mooring then you are certainly not ccing for that time period. My mooring for instance costs me 3k exactly per year which is part of my boating costs I willingly pay because boating is not cheap.

There will be winter moorings this year as other years going back for donkeys years so there will be no problem. In fairness to all types of boaters winter moorings should be the same price per rota that the average mooring fee in that area is surely? I have had some good winter moorings bw type on a few occasions over the years.

Tim

I think the Winter Mooring proposal is good and the price about right remember all you are paying for is a strip of muddy towpath for what it is worth I suggested £75 but hey I was being a bit hopeful

No you do not

Thanks for the reply.

I know it may sound like a daft question but how long can you be iced in for?

If your boat is fiberglass is it advisable to move on when there is thick ice about as another passing steel boat pushing ice in your direction is going to be a bit worry-some.

Please understand I'm not splitting hairs if I can move on I would move on but just wish to understand the accepted practices.

Thanks.

Can anyone clarify what happens if I stopped got iced in while CC'ing please?

Do I have to pay more money?

Please understand I am new.

No you do not and nor should you. you would be a bone fide ccer who has simply been stuck by the weather. There has never been a problem with this and its happened to myself on more than one occasion. However when thawed you are quite rightly expected to move on.

Tim

Thanks for the reply.

I know it may sound like a daft question but how long can you be iced in for?

If your boat is fiberglass is it advisable to move on when there is thick ice about as another passing steel boat pushing ice in your direction is going to be a bit worry-some.

Please understand I'm not splitting hairs if I can move on I would move on but just wish to understand the accepted practices.

Thanks.

One thing you can do is to put down ice boards- hang some thick planks horizontally at waterline level, to reduce the worry.

No you do not and nor should you. you would be a bone fide ccer who has simply been stuck by the weather. There has never been a problem with this and its happened to myself on more than one occasion. However when thawed you are quite rightly expected to move on.

Tim

This is correct, except for the bit about it never having been a problem [if that is referring to problem-with-the-authority].

I rather suspect that one of the more excitable contributors on another topic is understandably upset because he was the one I’ve heard of who was s.8’d while frozen in for 3 months somewhere a few years ago.

There may, of course, have been other unknown factors at work behind the decision to take that action on such absurd grounds; a decision in that case is still awaited I believe.

Hi

Tim

May I ask what facilities you get for your £3000 and was it purchased at an auction?