Winter Moorings, how many paid for them last year

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

No you do not

That is not what BW said in writing at Tring summit a couple of winters ago when boats were iced in and blocked by the stoppage. They demanded winter mooring fees. One of the several boats stuck there got scared and paid. None of the others did. I hope CaRT don't make those sort of balls ups again. But as the majority of the staff are the same, what chance do we have of improved service or communications?

I for one think the new winter mooring proposal is a vast improvement on what's gone before. But having tried to get a reply out of them three times in recent weeks about winter mooring options and not had so much as a courtesy holding response I'm anticipating another almighty CaRT admin cock up. :(

That is not what BW said in writing at Tring summit a couple of winters ago when boats were iced in and blocked by the stoppage. They demanded winter mooring fees. One of the several boats stuck there got scared and paid. None of the others did. I hope CaRT don't make those sort of balls ups again. But as the majority of the staff are the same, what chance do we have of improved service or communications?

I for one think the new winter mooring proposal is a vast improvement on what's gone before. But having tried to get a reply out of them three times in recent weeks about winter mooring options and not had so much as a courtesy holding response I'm anticipating another almighty CaRT admin cock up. sad.png

If they demand fees just politely ask them to remove the obstructing ice and you will move along.

Never in 7yrs C/cruising have had a problem with being iced in. Problems like BW CaRT is what I mean.

Best to slowly move along in winter and not pay. It`s gonna be cold either way so why pay to be cold in a particular place.

Just my opinion, each to their own.

Edited by valrene9600

May I ask what facilities you get for your £3000 and was it purchased at an auction?

Hi

Was not at auction its a private boatyard. I moved from a bw mooring to here, bw was considerably cheaper with more facilities. We have leccy hook up here and one tap four long hose pipes away and loads of parking. I could pay less and get more but for me it has two huge attractions

1/ Its NOT in a Marina

2/ Fab location

Tim

I for one think the new winter mooring proposal is a vast improvement on what's gone before. But having tried to get a reply out of them three times in recent weeks about winter mooring options and not had so much as a courtesy holding response I'm anticipating another almighty CaRT admin cock up. sad.png

I think what you will find is that CRT do not accept a Planned Stoppage as an excuse for not moving, otherwise everyone would just get the Stoppage list and head for the nearest Stoppage, I personally do not have a problem with this.

I remember paying for a winter mooring in Bath back in 2007. Can't remember the exact cost now but it wasn't cheap. Turned out I spent all this money on the mooring, and just 6 boat lengths further up the canal boats paid nothing and staid there all winter like we did LOL

I'll not be making that same mistake again LOL

I have sent them an email asking about the getting iced in 'problem'. I have had a courtesy email back already saying they are consulting Sally Ash, and will get back to me. I'll let you all know what she says!

We take an online private winter mooring with electric but gangplank length from the bank . Its really handy as my husband's winter work is only 15mins away by car, but there will be houses built beside the mooring sometime within the next few years and our mooring will disappear ( havn't checked this year yet to see if it is still there ) so we will be back to a CRT winter mooring ( if he still want's to work ) or cruise if he finally wants to retire ..... again . Bunny.

We take an online private winter mooring with electric but gangplank length from the bank . Its really handy as my husband's winter work is only 15mins away by car, but there will be houses built beside the mooring sometime within the next few years and our mooring will disappear ( havn't checked this year yet to see if it is still there ) so we will be back to a CRT winter mooring ( if he still want's to work ) or cruise if he finally wants to retire ..... again . Bunny.

I have been in touch with C.A.R.T today and I am sure there will be boaters who will not get the winter moorings they expect unless they make a case for them to be dedicated winter moorings.

Hi

Do you think ccers should get cheaper moorings when they decide to not cc? If you go on a winter mooring then you are certainly not ccing for that time period. My mooring for instance costs me 3k exactly per year which is part of my boating costs I willingly pay because boating is not cheap.

There will be winter moorings this year as other years going back for donkeys years so there will be no problem. In fairness to all types of boaters winter moorings should be the same price per rota that the average mooring fee in that area is surely? I have had some good winter moorings bw type on a few occasions over the years.

Tim

Not like for like Tim - we've never paid for winter moorings because to pay the same for a stretch of muddy towpath with no leccy, no water, no car parking and no security as someone nearby pays for all of the above is simply absurd. It's not that ccers think they're entitled to cheaper moorings, they simply expect the amount they pay to reflect the value of the mooring.

I think the Winter Mooring proposal is good and the price about right remember all you are paying for is a strip of muddy towpath for what it is worth I suggested £75 but hey I was being a bit hopeful

The problem is that CCers by keeping moving, pay nothing for their "strip of muddy towpath" for most of the year. Hence they attach little value to it when they stop.

The rest of us pay circa £2,000 a year for the right to stop on our allocated "strip of muddy towpath" so see things a little differently..

MtB

The problem is that CCers by keeping moving, pay nothing for their "strip of muddy towpath" for most of the year. Hence they attach little value to it when they stop.

The rest of us pay circa £2,000 a year for the right to stop on our allocated "strip of muddy towpath" so see things a little differently..

MtB

Do you only get a strip of muddy towpath for your £2k? No car parking, no leccy, no security, no water/elsan?

Plus you also get the right to use the "strip of muddy towpath" all year round as well when you leave your mooring.

Edited by Ange

Do you only get a strip of muddy towpath for your £2k? No car parking, no leccy, no security, no water/elsan?

Mostly, no. There are exceptions but most CRT towpath moorings come with no facilities or car parking other than the same public facilities that you and all other boaters can use.

Plus you also get the right to use the "strip of muddy towpath" all year round as well when you leave your mooring.

Indeed. For that, we have to pay £2000. no wonder more and moore peeps are choosing to CC even though they don't live aboard. I'm seriously considering this too, in order to save the £5k a year I currently pay to moor two boats.

MtB

Mostly, no. There are exceptions but most CRT towpath moorings come with no facilities or car parking other than the same public facilities that you and all other boaters can use.

Indeed. For that, we have to pay £2000. no wonder more and moore peeps are choosing to CC even though they don't live aboard. I'm seriously considering this too, in order to save the £5k a year I currently pay to moor two boats.

MtB

We're talking about your mooring Mike - mostly? What's mostly? Which facilities to you have and lack for your £2k?

And best of luck if you decide to cc your boats - it'll be an eye opener for you. We're ccers because we're exploring the system and it makes no sense to pay for a mooring. I'd love to have a safe refuge to leave our boat when we need to leave it for 2 weeks - my heart is always in my mouth when we get back.

We're NOT a bunch of freeloaders

MtB

Ummmm I pay over £800 to use a strip of muddy towpath it is known as a licence

I have been in touch with C.A.R.T today and I am sure there will be boaters who will not get the winter moorings they expect unless they make a case for them to be dedicated winter moorings.

Do not quite follow that. For the first time I have decided to take a winter mooring for 5 months partly because I want the option not to have to move if I do not want to and partly because during the winter I will have to spend more time with my 92yo Mother. My 5 month winter mooring will cost me less than £500 and for that I would not expect a reserved mooring. So what I am paying for is the option not to be subject to the T&C of my CCing agreement and not to have to move every 14 days. For aprox £1,000 depending on area I can have 5 months on a VM with a more or less guaranteed space, but hey I am happy with a stretch of muddy towpath towpath. I think CRT have done a good job in reducing and recognising that some CCers are happy to pay a reasonable amount for a very basic winter mooring.

Ummmm I pay over £800 to use a strip of muddy towpath it is known as a licence

Also includes the right to use tunnels, locks, facilities, and the canal running through cuttings,embankments, weirs to name but a few and to maintain a management system to keep things going - engineers, office staff.............

L.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before and i have a CaRT mooring so I might be wrong about this but why can't you tell CaRT you're a cc'er but still stay in a marina through the summer? If I wanted to summer in one marina but still take up a winter towpath mooring, that's what I'd do. What's to stop anyone registering as a cc'er if they have an offline mooring?

I don't know if this has been mentioned before and i have a CaRT mooring so I might be wrong about this but why can't you tell CaRT you're a cc'er but still stay in a marina through the summer? If I wanted to summer in one marina but still take up a winter towpath mooring, that's what I'd do. What's to stop anyone registering as a cc'er if they have an offline mooring?

It is early in the morning and I have only had 2 coffees and 5 cigarettes (so far) but do not really understand why anyone would want to do that, what am I missing?

If someone can't afford a marina mooring they will come out the marina , forcing them to CC rather take up a stretch of towpath for a winter mooring which they might be able to afford just seems wrong IMO. There may be a small percentage that might come out just for the winter but not enough to be relevant I suspect.

Not like for like Tim - we've never paid for winter moorings because to pay the same for a stretch of muddy towpath with no leccy, no water, no car parking and no security as someone nearby pays for all of the above is simply absurd. It's not that ccers think they're entitled to cheaper moorings, they simply expect the amount they pay to reflect the value of the mooring.

Totally agree. It would be cheaper to employ someone to move your boat to comply every 14 days if you were away LOL

I actually recall paying around £700 for 5 months which seems cheap now but this was in 2007. I wonder how much that costs today, I recall our spot was called Darlington Wharf in Bath.

I certainly wouldn't pay for a Cart winter mooring again though, (especially with no facilities.) Also you would only have to move about 10 times using the allowed 14 days and it's unlikely to be freezing for the whole 5 months either. Could even end up with an Indian summer, aren't we due one LOL

Edited by Julynian

Totally agree. It would be cheaper to employ someone to move your boat to comply every 14 days if you were away LOL

I actually recall paying around £700 for 5 months which seems cheap now but this was in 2007. I wonder how much that costs today, I recall our spot was called Darlington Wharf in Bath.

I certainly wouldn't pay for a Cart winter mooring again though, (especially with no facilities.) Also you would only have to move about 10 times using the allowed 14 days and it's unlikely to be freezing for the whole 5 months either. Could even end up with an Indian summer, aren't we due one LOL

OK I have just done the calculation using a calculator and for my 60ft boat I can moor for £82.35 a month (£411.75 for 5 months) I personally think that is a very good price.

OK I have just done the calculation using a calculator and for my 60ft boat I can moor for £82.35 a month (£411.75 for 5 months) I personally think that is a very good price.

Well that is cheap. In this area I'm pretty sure it's over a grand now. I know a boat owner who paid £1059 for a mooring in avoncliff but that was about 3 years ago. So it seems a big difference in fees depending on location.

It seems I've missed the whole new winter mooring policy LOL

So winter moorings are now based on £25.00 per meter outside London. I hadn't realised all these changes had taken place.

Still wouldn't pay it though I'll cruise LOL but It is a more reasonable price reflecting lack of facilities.

Well that is cheap. In this area I'm pretty sure it's over a grand now. I know a boat owner who paid £1059 for a mooring in avoncliff but that was about 3 years ago. So it seems a big difference in fees depending on location.

Outside London all Towpath Winter Moorings are the same price

Cross posted!!!