Thetford cassette toilet question

Ricco1

Featured Posts

The boat I recently bought has a new Thetford toilet fitted. I've grasped the basics of using it but I'm thinking ahead to the first emptying:

Looking at the user manual online they suggest that you add some of their chemicals after you've emptied it. As they are their own chemicals they probably cost an arm and a leg (please correct me if I'm wrong)

My questions: is it essential to add chemicals? if so, are there any household chemicals you can use that do the same job?

Thanks

The boat I recently bought has a new Thetford toilet fitted. I've grasped the basics of using it but I'm thinking ahead to the first emptying:

Looking at the user manual online they suggest that you add some of their chemicals after you've emptied it. As they are their own chemicals they probably cost an arm and a leg (please correct me if I'm wrong)

My questions: is it essential to add chemicals? if so, are there any household chemicals you can use that do the same job?

Thanks

Hi

I use any blue or green available. i have done for donkeys years, They are all similar. Some people do not use anything and state they dont need to as there is no smell !! Dont believe them I have been unfortunate to follow some into elsan points many times over the years and they stink like hell if nowts added.

There are many some of which are expensive new fangled potions on sale at the moment but believe me the good old blue is still the best. You will be told it aint environmentaly friendly but have a look at what for instance China is chukking out and draw your own conclusions.

Tim

At last a post I can add something to!

Having lived in a caravan for the past 5 years, and also managed a caravan park, I can 100% say you definitely need something, especially if you are using the cartridge fully, as our 5-year-old son does!

We've had friends who have used the conditioner/washing-products route, and have spoken well of it! However, I did buy a caravan off one such friend, and the Uric crystal build-up on the paddle and internal engineering was phenomenal, I was amazed it still worked!

We have been forced, due to circumstances, to use many, and most, other options, including no-option, but I 100% swear by the Elsan products! We use the Elsan Double Blue consentrate, often bought as a double pack with the consentrated pink flush, it does a great job of masceration, and saves considerable embarrassment if there is someone waiting to empty their cartridge behind you, not to mention the fact that you have to live with that cartridge for three days yourself! :)

We have 5 on board and fill a casette in 2 days :)

We use blue stuff and emptying it is fresh and wonderful.

We left the boat for a week once and my father in law didnt add anything. I tried emptying it, and have had a recurring nightmare ever since. Even writing this post has me gulping for air at the memory. It was horrid. (understatement of the century)

i can get hold of blue for £2 a gallon, but weve stopped using it and now use some sort of washing machine powder, seems to work well.

£2 a gallon seems a real bargain. Any pointers where I can get it?

Compared to the other costs of boating, why get hung up on the cost of a bit of blue? Yes, a gallon of the stuff can be fairly pricey but it's highly concetrated so you only need a small amount each time which means it lasts a fair while. The second point is, it works. No nasty smells, just the smell of the chemical which is quite nice really.

I'd also love to know where it's available for £2 a gallon?

Do you put it into the empty cassettes straight after emptying, or once the cassette is back in the toilet do you tip it down the loo??

I have a seperate cassette toilet question and rather than start a new thread, i'll add it in here if I may;

I was hoping to install a Thetford Cassette toilet onto the boat i'm about to buy. The only place it can fit is against the engine room bulkhead which is steel, so I won't be able to cut a hole for the cassette opening. To the left of it is the calorifier and to the right a doorway.

Is there any way I can still have a proper cassette toilet or am I going to have to have a porta potti?

Do you put it into the empty cassettes straight after emptying, or once the cassette is back in the toilet do you tip it down the loo??

I think the recommendation in the instructions is to put it into the tanks as it eventually damages the seals. However in the years of caravanning I just poured it down the hole being careful to miss the seals.

We left the boat for a week once and my father in law didnt add anything.

He must have been severely constipated.

Blue or green loo seems to be cheaper at caravan shops, where we buy ours, than at chandleries.

He must have been severely constipated.

Blue or green loo seems to be cheaper at caravan shops, where we buy ours, than at chandleries.

Correct l buy mine from a caravan dealer who sells via. eBay.

Watch for sellers who sell watered down blue though.

I use Bio laundry detergent A large box of the store own value brand will last weeks. Just pour in a cup full in to the cassette after emptying.

I have been using this for a couple of years too - have had no problems or nasty smells ... was recommended to me by long time live aboard boaters and have never looked back ...

It might be worth finding out what has been used by the previous owner. Any part used toilet chemical containers about?

If they haven't used blue then you can choose to use the other (pink?) more environmentally friendly products if you want to.

If blue has already been used then you will have to keep using blue because you can switch from environmentally friendly to blue but not he other way round. The formaldehyde in blue which hangs around for a long time stops the environmentally friendly stuff from working

Edited by Bazza2

I use Bio laundry detergent A large box of the store own value brand will last weeks. Just pour in a cup full in to the cassette after emptying.

[/quote If a cupful is needed for a cassette, anyone know the quantity for a pump out?

Please let's not do the P/O v Cassette thing. We also have a Thetford portaloo. Just in case.

It might be worth finding out what has been used by the previous owner. Any part used toilet chemical containers about?

If they haven't used blue then you can choose to use the other (pink?) more environmentally friendly products if you want to.

If blue has already been used then you will have to keep using blue because you can switch from environmentally friendly to blue but not he other way round. The formaldehyde in blue which hangs around for a long time stops the environmentally friendly stuff from working

Normally green - the pink stuff is the stuff that optionally goes in the flushing water tank if your loo has one.

Another vote for Elsan blue here. Don't get the cheaper dilute stuff, make sure it's the concentrate.

We've used it for 8 years in our vacuum cassettes and it keeps them fairly clean, but I think, more importantly breaks down the contents so that there is no build up over time.

Bob