Marina berths in North West

Neil2

Featured Posts

I'm getting close to completing the purchase of our next boat and looking around for a place to keep it, ideally around the shroppie, upper T&M area, but anywhere in the north west would do. I have rung round a few marinas, but just the ones that have a prescence on the net really, and as she's only 40 foot I wondered if anyone has any other suggestions.

Or, any feedback from members who stay, or have had stayed on marinas in this general area would be helpful.

Can only really offer an opinion on the one marina I have/do use. Uplands marina charge by the foot, not by the pontoon size (this is due to the marina being full of very long pontoons that have many boats on them!).

Nice place to stay, full of friendly boaters. I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback from others though!

Always room for another Douggie at LPM......:clapping:

It's not a DM I'm afraid Richard, the owner was simply being unrealistic price wise, and so I took my money elsewhere. (It's another good northern boat builder though)

The last time I asked at LPM, which was some time ago, there was nothing doing - is it different now?

Which marinas have you already tried? Do you definitely want a marina, or is online mooring okay?

Venetian, Tattenhall, Uplands, Chirk, just those that advertise on the net really.

Offside mooring might be ok but price wise these days I doubt it would be a lot cheaper. Marina berths for a 40 footer are only around £1500-1600. For us it would be long term storage between periods of extended cruising so security is more important than facilities.

Can only really offer an opinion on the one marina I have/do use. Uplands marina charge by the foot, not by the pontoon size (this is due to the marina being full of very long pontoons that have many boats on them!).

Nice place to stay, full of friendly boaters. I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback from others though!

Wot he said. Been at Uplands for years now, pretty basic but friendly.

There's Overwater, Swanley Bridge, Aqueduct (I think they're full though) as marinas in the locality then there's Henhull, Barbridge, Stoke Hall Lane, Audlem as offside moorings and Bunbury towpath side moorings. Then there's a few others with a handful of boats, but I think they're kinda full. They're the ones I can recall on the SU (and middlewich branch) but there's a few more on the T&M in the area too.

I would describe Burnley as the north west although its well north of the other suggestions.

Reedley marina just outside Burnley on the Leeds and Liverpool with probably the best bus connections anywhere had a place for me this time last year.

Its just at the point where the pennine scenery becomes stunning and adjacent to the the Pendle hills. Very welcoming folk manage it and the prices I thought very reasonable.

I have been on a few marina's in the north west and the best one i have been on so far is Overwater marina we moor on a long pontoon which is excellent as you are not on top of each other compared to some marina's and there is plenty of space for getting in and out (It does get very windy though !). The location isn't bad either as you are right near Audlem and if you don't fancy a walk you can always get the water taxi which operates at weekends April - October i think.

A friend of mine moors on Swanley Bridge marina and they seem happy with the place and the rates aren't badly priced either compared to other marina's in the area, the only thing that would put me off like most marina's is you are right on top of each other.

Best Regards,

James Postlethwaite

As above, there's quite a few to choose from. Obviously your choice will be dependent on availability, price, and perhaps what facilities/environment you're looking looking for. We've been at Swanley Bridge for three years. We like it because it's very quiet (no cafe, workshops a distance away). Others might prefer the more social, busier environment at somewhere like Aqueduct. Yes, the boats are on top of each other, but our experience is that for most of the time most of the boats are unattended. I expect it's the same in other marinas. There's a few 'regulars' including a few live aboards, and the rest are (very) occasional boaters.

If you are looking for an offside mooring I can recommend C&RT's mooring at Henhull. Interesting access (by dinghy) but there is a locked carpark and storage of dinghies. And being offside it is quiet and a bit more secure. PM me if you want the contact details of the moorings manager.

I could have sworn I posted something last night thanking everyone for their suggestions but seemingly not, so belatedly, thanks to all who contributed.

Having made a few enquiries we went and looked at Uplands today and it looks like that's where we will be, at least for the next year. There's a good vibe to the place and I do like Northwich, but what a state the Sanitary station is in compared to the last time I was there.

I hope this isn't indicative of the general housekeeping under C&RT.