GUCC 177 Town Class Sutton

SallyLou

Featured Posts

My dad had this boat in the 60's. It was converted at Aylesbury in about 1967, I think. The name was changed to Laidley Worm. Eventually it was sold - at Long Itchington - and reverted to Sutton. Since then it has been sold on 2 or 3 times I believe. I would love to have news of it, if anyone has seen it around. I have lovely memories of NBOC rallies - first time I came to Coventry, where I now live, was by boat. I remember Pearl (owned by Binky Bush) and Rufus being at the rallies too.

Sutton is still about, I am sure one of our learned members will have all the info up to date shortly. Whatever happened to Bob Bush? I remember him turning up at rallies in an immaculate butty in the 1970's.

Welcome SallyLou.

That may well have been CAPELLA. I do remember my first visits to Aylesbury basin in '78 or '79 and seeing CAPELLA with Bob Bush's name written on the side advertising signwriting. He wasn't living aboard then, and may have been ill or even passed on.

PEARL (ex-BARON) was also moored there, and we viewed when looking for a boat but passed her over. (Think I got the names right). She was tied up in the corner, full length conversion with cabins off an offset coridor. Three pot Bolinder somewhere in the back.

All the Aylesbury moorings are now in in the Circus Field marina just outside Stocklake. An era ended.

Sutton is still about, I am sure one of our learned members will have all the info up to date shortly. Whatever happened to Bob Bush? I remember him turning up at rallies in an immaculate butty in the 1970's.

Sutton certainly shows in the boat listing on the HNBC website, complete with photo.

http://www.hnbc.org.uk/boats/sutton

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale

My dad had this boat in the 60's. It was converted at Aylesbury in about 1967, I think. The name was changed to Laidley Worm. Eventually it was sold - at Long Itchington - and reverted to Sutton. Since then it has been sold on 2 or 3 times I believe. I would love to have news of it, if anyone has seen it around. I have lovely memories of NBOC rallies - first time I came to Coventry, where I now live, was by boat. I remember Pearl (owned by Binky Bush) and Rufus being at the rallies too.

Laidley Worm/ Sutton moored at Norbury in the late 60`s. i rebuilt the engine[ Petter PD2] whilst working for Shropshire Union Cruises I at that time owned Lily, ex FMC & was a member of NBOC.Binky Bush was [president? of NBOC at that time]. I cannot remember did your family take the boat to the NBOC cheswadine Xmas rally in 68/69? I moved on in 1970 so have no knowledge after then

I bought Sutton indirectly, possibly from your father(?) in 1981. I remember that in a letter/invoice I received (from him?), she was described as being built by "Yarrow", but I assume he had wires crossed, and really meant Yarwoods. She was indeed still called Laidley Worm, and she used to lie at the topside of Norbury, covered in leaves and grot, for some years, although I did the deal through Tim after she was taken to Warwickshire Fly.

We brought her back over a freezing weekend to Selwyn Jordan's place at Wolverhampton Top, where we removed the old timber cabin. The Lister starter motor gave up the ghost at Welsh Road and with no way of firing it up again if it stopped (no hand-start), we had to leave it running for the whole trip, which didn't make for peaceful slumber.

She was built like a big old fashioned hire-boat, with a large open stern-deck, no back cabin or engine hole (newish Lister HR2 underneath), and the cabin went right to the deck-beam, with no well of any sort. She had an old Aga in the galley, and Keith, the keeper on the 21, rigged up a sort of hoist, which we strung up over the top lock and around the Aga, then dropped the boat in the lock. With a fairly large crunch, the Aga appeared up through the rotten timber roof, and we had it out on the side and away before anyone could tell us differently.

Dave Harris took on the restoration work at Coseley-too detailed to list here, almost a new boat by the time we'd finished, and a damn fine job he did on her-and I used her for some time before selling her to someone who, I believe, still has her today, on the Southern GU. He subsequently had a full length top put on her, and had Chris Lloyd fit her out.

Edited by johnthebridge

My dad had this boat in the 60's. It was converted at Aylesbury in about 1967, I think. The name was changed to Laidley Worm.

SUTTON was converted into a pleasure boat at Aylesbury in 1965, its original 'corner' fuel tanks later finding their way into NAUTILUS - but I do not know if they are still in NAUTILUS.

I remember seeing LAIDLEY WORM at Norbury in the summer of 1980, and then being rebuilt on the bank at Coseley a year or two later (I was steering camping boats out of Birmingham back then). I can confirm that SUTTON was a bit of a stunner following its deconversion / restoration (with a very short cabin extension) and have always felt it was a shame that it was subsequently converted again with a fairly anonymous full length steel cabin.

edit - SUTTON has been tied on the Tring summit for the past 20 years or so, initially in Cowroast Marina and more recently at the top of Marsworth Locks.

Edited by pete harrison

Well I'm sure Pete Harrison has referred to him as "the late Bob Bush" in a previous thread, and as Pete Harrison only usual deals in accurate information, I think we may safely conclude he is no longer with us.

Well I'm sure Pete Harrison has referred to him as "the late Bob Bush" in a previous thread, and as Pete Harrison only usual deals in accurate information, I think we may safely conclude he is no longer with us.

I have had access to Bob Bush's private 'historic' narrow boat archive, or at least parts of it. I was given access by Mr Bush's sister, and at a later date I tried (unsuccessfully) to regain access via his widow, which as the latter suggests is because Mr Bush is no longer with us.

I can tell you that when Dave did the restoration work in '82 ish, she had:-

New riveted counter roll, uxter, swims, footings, bottom, knee ends, deck, deck bulkhead, simulated boarded counter top, cants (fore and aft), sterntube, shaft, blade, beds, corner tanks (GU style), ramshead, back cabin (with, as Pete H. says, a small extension with cooker and bog), engine-hole, GU cast gearwheel, pigeon-box, Northwich style engine hole slide and air-cooled engine hole vent, Woolwich style handrails (although I prefer them to look at, afterwards I wished we'd put the Northwich ones on), new fitted back cabin (Dave Harris), gunnel cappings in Iroko, mast (with looby), stands, uprights, deck board, cratch, side and top cloths, tippet, strings, beams, chains, a full GU style paint job and other things I've probably forgotten. Cleaned and painted the HR2, which had a BW71 'box on the back. She looked wonderful and went very well. On one trip up from Gloucester with another of my former boats, Vulcan, we left the lock at the same time, with a big tide running, and by the time I got to the parting, Sutton was so far ahead that I took her down to Maisemore weir for a looksee, and came up behind Vulcan in the river some minutes later as she struggled past the parting.

Give me a Grand Union any day over "one o' they 'eavy-arsed bu**ers".!

Edited by johnthebridge

• 2 weeks later...

SUTTON was converted into a pleasure boat at Aylesbury in 1965, its original 'corner' fuel tanks later finding their way into NAUTILUS - but I do not know if they are still in NAUTILUS.

I remember seeing LAIDLEY WORM at Norbury in the summer of 1980, and then being rebuilt on the bank at Coseley a year or two later (I was steering camping boats out of Birmingham back then). I can confirm that SUTTON was a bit of a stunner following its deconversion / restoration (with a very short cabin extension) and have always felt it was a shame that it was subsequently converted again with a fairly anonymous full length steel cabin.

edit - SUTTON has been tied on the Tring summit for the past 20 years or so, initially in Cowroast Marina and more recently at the top of Marsworth Locks.

I can confirm that Nautilus still has GU tanks - I assume they are still the ones you are refering to!

• 4 weeks later...

I bought Sutton indirectly, possibly from your father(?) in 1981. I remember that in a letter/invoice I received (from him?), she was described as being built by "Yarrow", but I assume he had wires crossed, and really meant Yarwoods. She was indeed still called Laidley Worm, and she used to lie at the topside of Norbury, covered in leaves and grot, for some years, although I did the deal through Tim after she was taken to Warwickshire Fly.

We brought her back over a freezing weekend to Selwyn Jordan's place at Wolverhampton Top, where we removed the old timber cabin. The Lister starter motor gave up the ghost at Welsh Road and with no way of firing it up again if it stopped (no hand-start), we had to leave it running for the whole trip, which didn't make for peaceful slumber.

She was built like a big old fashioned hire-boat, with a large open stern-deck, no back cabin or engine hole (newish Lister HR2 underneath), and the cabin went right to the deck-beam, with no well of any sort. She had an old Aga in the galley, and Keith, the keeper on the 21, rigged up a sort of hoist, which we strung up over the top lock and around the Aga, then dropped the boat in the lock. With a fairly large crunch, the Aga appeared up through the rotten timber roof, and we had it out on the side and away before anyone could tell us differently.

Dave Harris took on the restoration work at Coseley-too detailed to list here, almost a new boat by the time we'd finished, and a damn fine job he did on her-and I used her for some time before selling her to someone who, I believe, still has her today, on the Southern GU. He subsequently had a full length top put on her, and had Chris Lloyd fit her out.

Hi there! Yes, that was my Dad you bought the boat from. I arranged to get her to Warwickshire Fly - closer to home for me. It had come to the point when it needed a complete refit, or had to be sold. By that time my Mum, who had arthritis, clearly wasn't going to be able to manage on the boat any longer and Dad reluctantly parted with it. He couldn't bear to do it himself though, hence my involvement. It was a strange hobby for a man who lived in an area without canals! Made maintaining the boat almost impossible when you had to drive down from Newcastle to do it. Really glad you went back to the original name and gave her a new lease of life. I have many happy memories - and some fairly scary ones!

Laidley Worm/ Sutton moored at Norbury in the late 60`s. i rebuilt the engine[ Petter PD2] whilst working for Shropshire Union Cruises I at that time owned Lily, ex FMC & was a member of NBOC.Binky Bush was [president? of NBOC at that time]. I cannot remember did your family take the boat to the NBOC cheswadine Xmas rally in 68/69? I moved on in 1970 so have no knowledge after then

I doubt if we went to a Christmas rally - that would not have fitted in with the family pattern, but we did go on several NBOC rallies. They always seemed to be in places where the cut was in danger of silting up and I remember standing on the roof and rocking the boat to get through. First time I ever came to Coventry was by boat for a rally.

Thank you everyone for bringing me up to date. It is good to know that Sutton goes on smile.png

Sally, I can't PM you until you have made at least 5 posts, but I can help you get in touch with the current owners if you are interested! email me at severnerwillow AT gmail.com

That is kind, but I am just happy to know that she is still around.

If Dave Harris did the restoration work in 1982 (as per JtB's post 11) he must have been in his late teens/early 20's at the time.

His work has stood up well.

I have seen his third new build boat, built around that time and it is still in excellent condition.

Diverging only slightly, DH doesn't count his restoration/stretch/fit outs and is currently building new hull number 47.

Edited by andywatson

I took an almost identical pic to the one above - so similar that I won't bother to post it here - on 16th July as we passed Bulbourne. The boat was looking good.

Our interest was just that our boat also bears the number 177, but is much more modern (Stoke-on-Trent Boat Builders 177)

• 3 years later...
On 17/08/2013 at 18:05, pete harrison said:

I have had access to Bob Bush's private 'historic' narrow boat archive, or at least parts of it. I was given access by Mr Bush's sister, and at a later date I tried (unsuccessfully) to regain access via his widow, which as the latter suggests is because Mr Bush is no longer with us.

Would anyone be interested in some old files that belonged to my late uncle, Bob Bush? I can't be sure of the contents, but my mother has been clearing out her loft and said they were papers that Bob "liberated" from an abandoned BW house.

38 minutes ago, Binkie's Grandson said:

Would anyone be interested in some old files that belonged to my late uncle, Bob Bush? I can't be sure of the contents, but my mother has been clearing out her loft and said they were papers that Bob "liberated" from an abandoned BW house.

I suggest you contact HNBC (Historic Narrow Boat Club).  Whatever you do don't let them fall into the hands of CaRT.  Or again, Pete Harrison - long regarded as the unofficial custodian of boating records - may be interested.

hi Binkie's Grandson,

I am secretary of the Historic Narrow Boat Club and we are indeed establishing an archive of historic documents and photographs.  Items are digitised and indexed and the originals safely stored in an old salt mine where atmospheric conditions are stable and there should be no deterioration.

You can contact me at secretary(at)hnbc.org.uk.

replace (at) with @

Many thanks,

Paul

2 hours ago, Binkie's Grandson said:

I knew your Grandfather Binkie Bush. If I remember correctly, he had a converted working boat called Pearl, which he kept in Aylesbury basin. I think I first met him through the (now defunct) Grand Union Canal Society, which I believe he helped to found, I also believe he was one of the founding members of the Narrowboat Owners Sociey, now the Historibc Narrowboat Club, (as were we). We met him a number of times at IWA rallies, and even had a tug of war contest with him between Pisces and Pearl at one of them. Alan exW of this forum will remember that.

52 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I knew your Grandfather Binkie Bush. If I remember correctly, he had a converted working boat called Pearl, which he kept in Aylesbury basin. I think I first met him through the (now defunct) Grand Union Canal Society, which I believe he helped to found, I also believe he was one of the founding members of the Narrowboat Owners Sociey, now the Historibc Narrowboat Club, (as were we). We met him a number of times at IWA rallies, and even had a tug of war contest with him between Pisces and Pearl at one of them. Alan exW of this forum will remember that.

IIRC I knew it was 'Pearl' but if I had not known it was 'Pisces' there would have been no way of knowing, as the Turner decided it wanted 'ah la' navy to produce it's own smoke screen. David do you remember who won? I know "Binky" thought his Bolinder 1053? was the bees knees  he challenged me to a TOW at the Goldstone rally as my boat was facing the opposite way.I had around 10 tons of cement on for the BW works at Drayton so I was nicely sat down in the water we hitched up took the slack up & I wound the "Seffle" up there was a bang & something hit one of the cabin doors & "Lily shot forward after stopping & checking I found one of "Binkys" dolliies still on the rope end I"d pulled it out of his counter top He still claimed he had won as he said he was going forward at the time he got quite a bit of stick in the pub afterwards. Thinking back I don't reckon Denis would have let "Binky" get the better of him.

Edited by X Alan W