Diesel generator recommendations

paul68

Featured Posts

In my opinion you won't get a good diesel generator suitable for use onboard a boat for under a grand. That's why most people use petrol generators despite the hazards.

You can certainly get small diesel generators for under a grand but you'll also need to purchase some ear defenders and be prepared to be the focus of all your neighbours' hatred.

In my opinion you won't get a good diesel generator suitable for use onboard a boat for under a grand. That's why most people use petrol generators despite the hazards.

You can certainly get small diesel generators for under a grand but you'll also need to purchase some ear defenders and be prepared to be the focus of all your neighbours' hatred.

You can if you shop around Parglena has a Beta marine 6kVa genset water cooled cost me 750 off ebay plus a new alternator and fitting 400 but then I did the insall and alternator change myself.

I have an aircooled diesel genset on ebay at present 300948545739 not quiet but very cheap

Almost there

what's needed is just kW i.e. its max power

Usually around 2kW or upwards

Hi, I have all the manuals and paperwork, nowhere does it state the max power usage, i've also looked on the internet and can't see it anywhere. I will try to find out somehow. Do I take it I would need a gennie above the power of the washing machine, if so by how much.

cheers

I think I know what you mean, a guy moored next to me had a honda petrol gennie, it was ridiculously quiet!

i would be wary of this geny, while it looks a good bit of kit, but how come no where else sells them ? It might be a genuine Yanmar engine but who made the inverter ?

No brand name suggestes the worst quality Chinese anonymous factory ?

could you ever get spares for the electrical side ?

makes me think twice when a seller puts a long story on why they're selling them. Probably customer returns or from a bulk auction lot.

Hi, I have all the manuals and paperwork, nowhere does it state the max power usage, i've also looked on the internet and can't see it anywhere. I will try to find out somehow. Do I take it I would need a gennie above the power of the washing machine, if so by how much.

Pretty much so long as its above the rating it should be fine.

Its normally on a plater on the back of the machine. Which machine is itZ?

Pretty much so long as its above the rating it should be fine.

Its normally on a plater on the back of the machine. Which machine is itZ?

You are right, there is a sticker on the back, it says it's 1850w It's a Hotpoint HF8B593

You are right, there is a sticker on the back, it says it's 1850w It's a Hotpoint HF8B593

So pretty much any genset over 2.2kw should be fine, you may get away with less but I wouldn't chance it. Note that is 2.2kW not 2.2kVA, if the set is rated in kVA I would be looking for 3kVA.

eBay is your friend when it comes to second hand gensets as you wont get a new one for 1000.

So pretty much any genset over 2.2kw should be fine, you may get away with less but I wouldn't chance it. Note that is 2.2kW not 2.2kVA, if the set is rated in kVA I would be looking for 3kVA.

eBay is your friend when it comes to second hand gensets as you wont get a new one for 1000.

Thanks for the info julian.

It will use a lot less power if you feed it pre heated water. We have a mixer stat and feed it at 40c.

The machine does a great job on a 30c cool wash so we do 90% of our washing on that but yes thanks for that idea.

Don't forget that to be safe you should be getting a sine wave genny. A lot of modern stuff doesn't like the 'rough' output for simple voltage regulation on most of these gennys.

I know this puts the price up, but I've been there sith this problem!

Bob

Don't forget that to be safe you should be getting a sine wave genny. A lot of modern stuff doesn't like the 'rough' output for simple voltage regulation on most of these gennys.

I know this puts the price up, but I've been there sith this problem!

Bob

I know this only to well. Top name marine generator £6500, + vat list produces a rubbish sine wave.

A sine-wave generator consists (correct me if I am wrong) of an alternator connected to an inverter.

So you generate 12V DC, invert it to 230V AC, then put it through a charger that converts it back into 12V DC.

Surely it's better to have an alternator fitted to a small diesel engine, and run everything you can off 12V. Once a week, for the weekly wash, you can connect an inverter.

Easy to find an old diesel engine and fit an alternator to it, and easy enough to sound-proof it if you need to. Unless it's a Lister ST1, which can generally be heard from Edinburgh by the people of Cardiff.

A sine-wave generator consists (correct me if I am wrong) of an alternator connected to an inverter.

So you generate 12V DC, invert it to 230V AC, then put it through a charger that converts it back into 12V DC.

Surely it's better to have an alternator fitted to a small diesel engine, and run everything you can off 12V. Once a week, for the weekly wash, you can connect an inverter.

Easy to find an old diesel engine and fit an alternator to it, and easy enough to sound-proof it if you need to. Unless it's a Lister ST1, which can generally be heard from Edinburgh by the people of Cardiff.

You can find Petter mobile traffic light generators on ebay cheap as chips, 110v 1.5 kva, 1500 rpm, barely audible if soundproofed. £100 for a good one.

Inverter generators like Honda EU's generate a variable a 300+ volts 3 phase AC which is put through a microproccessor and comes out the other end as stable sine wave 220v AC

Edited by onionbargee

You can find Petter mobile traffic light generators on ebay cheap as chips, 110v 1.5 kva, 1500 rpm, barely audible if soundproofed. £100 for a good one.

Inverter generators like Honda EU's generate a variable a 300+ volts 3 phase AC which is put through a microproccessor and comes out the other end as stable sine wave 220v AC

Indeed. And I would discard the generator part, fit a suitable alternator, and use 230V (with a stand-alone inverter) only when necessary. Using a generator to charge batteries is madness.

I am considering modifying my 230v genset to 12v with a big capacity alternator, and running my gen set at 1500 rpm or less and gearing up the 12v alternator. All this has already been proved on my engine with the alternator modification I did Linky So it will work fine on a 500cc engine not a 4000 cc engine. The generator also has the ability to run a calorifier so it could be a true CHP unit.