Simple Inverter question

StarUKKiwi

Featured Posts

Can someone advise? We move onto Gracie at the end of the week and are cruising for a fortnight anti-clockwise - she is a 1978 boat and so works on 12 volt lighting and has gas fridge etc. this is fine for us; however, we do have two laptops, a Blackberry and a mobile to charge - I have a car charger for the BB, and phone; but wonder what is the best inverter to buy - because time is now limited, i have checked Halfords (I live near Broadheath Bridge #30 on the Bridgewater) and see they sell inverters - my question is are they any good and can anyone suggest elsewhere.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_183975_langId_-1_categoryId_255206

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_242529_langId_-1_categoryId_255206

There is also a Maplins adjacent to Oxford Road Bridge in Manchester

http://www.maplin.co.uk/600w-12v-inverter-48724

I am unsure on which is the best - please be nice!

Edited by StarUKKiwi

If these are the only items you need mains for, why not consider a 12V charger ? i.e. "cigar" chargers ?

However it is likely that you will need mains for something / some things. There are two main types of inverter. Sine wave / pure sine wave" , and "stepped or quasi sine wave" The cheaper type are usually the latter and they can cause some types of load to malfunction / behave erratically, so the former is the safer bet. Then there is the rating to consider ( watts) and generally the more watts the more expensive.

Phones will only take 10 or 20 watts and even the most power hungry laptop will take no more than maybe 120 watts, so a 250 watts device should cover all your mentioned devices. Its always a good idea to have some reserve in hand though. If the budget allows perhaps look at a pure sine wave device rated at 500+ watts, but it won't power a drill, hairdryer or washing machine ! If you are going to have those in time to come that is a different discussion..

Nick

Maplin have power converters that will take 12V from a cigar lighter socket and produce a regulated voltage to suit laptops etc.

We have one that can be set to put out voltages from 15 to 24 V. It's power output is 120W and it came with a lot of adapters to allow connection to most types of laptop.

For mobiles, a cigar lighter USB charger works brilliantly. Maplin also have these.

We bought a Maplin 150W MSW inverter as a cheap "backup" inverter that can charge one or two things at a time (we have loads of devices with mains chargers!) but obviously it can't run the microwave, vacuum cleaner, power tools etc. In reality, we use it most of the time, and use the larger 1500W inverter only very occasionally for the larger power items. At £25 or so, we might have saved a few quid on eBay but its handy being a Maplins one, you can walk into a shop with the receipt and get another if it blows (its not blown up yet though - unlike the other one - twice).

PS long term, I guess getting everything over to 12V charging is the best option though - anyone know how much a Nikon DSLR camera battery charger is in 12V version?

Hi

As with all things secondhand quality is often the way to go. I wouldnt buy secondhand cheapo such as stirling but I have on this boat a secondhand Mastervolt inverter bought off Gumtree its a 1200 and was the princley sum of £150. They are well over a grand new. It was as new and has been onboard now for a year and when needed works without fault, a far better buy than a cheapo new unit.

Tim

I do have a Dell laptop - obviously this makes a difference? We are buying a second one for on the boat and are looking at Toshiba - we are planning on getting a small twin tub washing machine, so will need something to power that - unless anyone knows of a 12 volt washing machine?

Whats the problem with a dell laptop

They are very fussy about their power supplies

I do have a Dell laptop - obviously this makes a difference? We are buying a second one for on the boat and are looking at Toshiba - we are planning on getting a small twin tub washing machine, so will need something to power that - unless anyone knows of a 12 volt washing machine?

In that case you are going to need a reasonable sized one.

That will need a small generator or you may just get away with having a large alternator and running your engine.

(above tickover at, at least 1,000 rpm if a 'modern' engine)

Thanks for all the replies - we are getting solar panels fitted as well but until we do and work out exactly what we want; I wanted something for when we are cruising - we have a residential mooring in MAcclesfield, so hookup when we're there - it's the next fortnight when we are getting there and updating blog etc I wondered about

My Toshiba and Compaq laptops would run off a Maplin 12 v up converter correctly set and connectored. My two Dell laptops will ONLY run off Dell power supplies -nothing else (so the maplin up converters don't help). The two dells will each run off a Maplin 75w inverter plugged directly into the cig lighter socket Probably both and some other chargers would run off their 300w inverter currently on offer.

Once you have a Dell you might as well go up to 240v as the mains chargers are easy to find and the 12v Dell ones not so easy.

For a small twin tub washer read the plate but a small inverter will work. Domestic auto washers are another world - some will and some will not work off small generators or inverters, but you could need to find and feed a 3000w inverter

Edited by Arthur Brown

Thanks for all the advice - I think I know what to do now! Buy a charger for the Dell - I have a 12 volt for the phone & buy a washing machine when we moor up and have landline power and then work out which is the best solution when we have the Solar Panels fitted (and I am a bit more knowledgeable!

Edited by StarUKKiwi