Stoke Bruerne Visitor Moorings

Leo No2

Featured Posts

It's definately working then . All those continuous cruisers "exploiting a clause in the 1965 Waterways Act" as per the current CRT winter mooring website are keeping away then. I'd say that CRT can now safely claim that the introduction is a success ! I fear for the CRT owned pub restaurant at the bottom of Foxton light.

I guess the knock on your boat just after you have arrived when a CRT employee/Volunteer knocks on the boat and says "Oy we do not really want you to moor here but if you insist please ensure you p*** off in 48 hours time" might make some boaters not bother to stop

....Jeff reaches across his littered desk at CRT Towers and rifles through the mounds of paperwork, redundant overstay fine letters and steve jay love notes......

"bloody interweb, it was so easy before that came along"......

....finally lays his hands the scrap of paper with the telephone number of BW-Tiles-R-Us on it and bashes the keys on the handset.........

"you know those new tiles you are making up, I need some more......."

Spotted on Gloucester and Sharpness

question when is £25 an overstay charge to recover cost and when is £25 rising to £50 a penalty (fine)

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

Maybe it's just me. When I rock up to a mooring plastered with £25 signs, it puts me off

Richard

Puts me off to, because I think to myself 'I don't actually NEED to stop here specifically today, but another day I might want to and I don't want to find I've used up all my allowable days so I'll just keep going and moor somewhere else, and keep my allowable mooring days 'in the bank'. Saves worrying, see?

This may be flawed thinking, but it's my perception. Anywhere with these heavyweight penalty signs is best avoided, just in case of inadvertent transgression of impossibly complicated rules that seem slightly different for every site.

MtB

• Greenie 1

Stoke Bruerne - Tunnel to Lock 16

Monday 9 September 2013 - Friday 20 September 2013

The Stoke Bruerne Village at War Event is taking place on Saturday 14th September and Sunday 15th September 2013.

In order to provide moorings for boats participating in the event, visitor moorings will be reserved from Monday 9th September to Friday 20th September. Moorings will be reserved in the following locations:

- From the Museum to Blisworth tunnel (south portal), and

- A proportion of the long pound between Lock 15 and Lock 16

To enable other visiting boats to enjoy the event, all other designated 2 day visitor moorings (not reserved for the event) will be suspended between Fri 13th – Mon 16th September inclusive.

Signage will be put in place by the event organisers to reflect the above.

Enquiries: 0303 0404040

You can find all stoppages at the url below:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Stoke Bruerne - Tunnel to Lock 16

Monday 9 September 2013 - Friday 20 September 2013

The Stoke Bruerne Village at War Event is taking place on Saturday 14th September and Sunday 15th September 2013.

In order to provide moorings for boats participating in the event, visitor moorings will be reserved from Monday 9th September to Friday 20th September. Moorings will be reserved in the following locations:

- From the Museum to Blisworth tunnel (south portal), and

- A proportion of the long pound between Lock 15 and Lock 16

To enable other visiting boats to enjoy the event, all other designated 2 day visitor moorings (not reserved for the event) will be suspended between Fri 13th Mon 16th September inclusive.

Signage will be put in place by the event organisers to reflect the above.

Enquiries: 0303 0404040

You can find all stoppages at the url below:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Thanks for posting that. It has effectively scuppered my overnight stopping plans on the way to and from the Cutweb do.

Having said that there is no way I would have known had I not seen it on here as I gave up on stoppage pages years ago as they are so carp.

Mumbles off to rethink plans

To take you back to a previous world

Vg'f n cvgl gung ohapu bs gjngf ng pneg pna'g yrnir guvatf nybar naq trg ba jvgu svkvat nyy gur cenpgvpny guvatf gung ner jebat yvxr qerqtvat rgp engure guna pbzvat hc jvgu gurfr cvff cbbe fpurzrf

Edited by Loddon

To enable other visiting boats to enjoy the event, all other designated 2 day visitor moorings (not reserved for the event) will be suspended between Fri 13th – Mon 16th September inclusive

What does this actually mean? Two interpretations could be:

(a) That the other designated 2 day mooring cannot be used (which is what happens when a road parking bay is suspended)?

(B) That the 2 day restriction does not apply to applies to these mooring during the specified period?

I assume that intended meaning is (B), but who knows?

Chris G

What does this actually mean? Two interpretations could be:

(a) That the other designated 2 day mooring cannot be used (which is what happens when a road parking bay is suspended)?

(cool.png That the 2 day restriction does not apply to applies to these mooring during the specified period?

I assume that intended meaning is (cool.png, but who knows?

Chris G

No,

It means that the moorings are effectively unavailable to those not booked in to attend the event.

Or that is what it usually means.

Unless you are an historic boat, if you book in there is a charge for doing so......

Bugger! - I have just let on to Jeff that people are prepared in suc circumstances to pay even for their first and second day - (albeit not at a swinging £25 per day, though!).

Thank you for reminding me I need to send off my form for "Village at War", though!

If so many people are against these new mooring proposals which it's seems they are, why don't we just boycott the village at war event. There be no boats along the stretch to look at, busisness in the village will lose out, tumble weed will blow along the towpath, the village Committee then contact Cart, Cart reverts back to a more common sence approach and we all live happily ever after.

Darren

If so many people are against these new mooring proposals which it's seems they are, why don't we just boycott the village at war event. There be no boats along the stretch to look at, busisness in the village will lose out, tumble weed will blow along the towpath, the village Committee then contact Cart, Cart reverts back to a more common sence approach and we all live happily ever after.

Darren

Or a more powerful argument could be that the only time that Stoke Bruerne is full of boats is when these daft restrictions are lifted!

Why should the "Friends of the Museum" suffer, simply because of Jeff Whyatt's "flagship" scheme.

Perhaps someone needs instead to "out" the occasional Stoke Bruerne resident that does think this is a good idea, such as the one I was told is in favour of the restrictions because they don't like to see multiple trading boats blocking their view?

Edited by alan_fincher

Or a more powerful argument could be that the only time that Stoke Bruerne is full of boats is when these daft restrictions are lifted!

Why should the "Friends of the Museum" suffer, simply because of Jeff Whyatt's "flagship" scheme.

Perhaps someone needs instead to "out" the occasional Stoke Bruerne resident that does think this is a good idea, such as the one I was told is in favour of the restrictions because they don't like to see multiple trading boats blocking their view?

Alan - I heard that it was the smell and noise of a trading boat running their engine for extended (most of the day) periods which I think is understandable. All that needs to happen, IMHO, is for traders to be asked to moor from the Woodland path onwards towards the Tunnel portal where there are no houses near the towpath.

Totally disagree with the suggestion (by ChimneyChain) that boaters should boycott Village at War weekend. Why should a voluntary organisation be penalised because of the actions of the landlord? We have to work with CRT to modify the restrictions rather than penalise an innocent party.

Edited by Leo No2

Alan - I heard that it was the smell and noise of a trading boat running their engine for extended (most of the day) periods which I think is understandable. All that needs to happen, IMHO, is for traders to be asked to moor from the Woodland path onwards towards the Tunnel portal where there are no houses near the towpath.

Sounds reasonable!

We have to work with CRT to modify the restrictions rather than penalise an innocent party.

a lot of people, including alan, tuscan etcspent a lot of time looking at the or8ginal proposals and coming up with solutions and ideas to modify them already. Crt obviously didnt value the contribution that didnt agree with their plan.

a lot of people, including alan, tuscan etcspent a lot of time looking at the or8ginal proposals and coming up with solutions and ideas to modify them already. Crt obviously didnt value the contribution that didnt agree with their plan.

We need to be like the lady who has just swum from Cuba to Florida at her 5th attempt - never give up she said! B)

However I do understand how difficult it is when a large corporate organisation digs its toes in but I take note of a comment Jim Phillips (Wey and Arun Canal Trust Treasurer) made a few years ago when talking about landowners who would not allow them to work on parts of the old navigation that they owned. Jim's view was that they wouldn't own it forever and there was always the opportunity for compromise - or a new owner who would work with them - and he produced a few examples of that having happened. Not all of us (me included) have the eternal optimism and strength of character that Jim showed!

Edited by Leo No2

Has nobody got a screwdriver and a spanner?? The dark nights are coming quickly.

N

I think they are expecting trouble, as on what Mr Whyatt calls the "tiles" they have used security screws, in the main.

On the other hand the big signs are just poorly attached to old signs with zip ties, and certainly don't look like they will survive long, even if unhappy boaters leave them alone.

We need to be like the lady who has just swum from Cuba to Florida at her 5th attempt - never give up she said! B)

However I do understand how difficult it is when a large corporate organisation digs its toes in but I take note of a comment Jim Phillips (Wey and Arun Canal Trust Treasurer) made a few years ago when talking about landowners who would not allow them to work on parts of the old navigation that they owned. Jim's view was that they wouldn't own it forever and there was always the opportunity for compromise - or a new owner who would work with them - and he produced a few examples of that having happened. Not all of us (me included) have the eternal optimism and strength of character that Jim showed!

I agree , IMO this was driven by the hire industry wanting to ensure hire boats could always get on honey spot sites in the evening and the IWA who believed that CC'ers were overstaying on visitor moorings. Local businesses were encouraged I think that if these new rules came in there would be a higher turnover of boats and therefore more customers.

However the previous years efforts of enforcement ( not by volunteers) seems to have been broadly successful because the number of overstayers on the visitor moorings being targeted was very low in 2013 and the new rules seem to have put off many boaters judging by the Stoke Breune statistics. The result less trade for local businesses shortly to be made worse as the hire boats disappear and there is nothing on the signs I believe to say that the restrictions will be lifted or when despite promises to the contrary.

The very opposite effect that the SE Waterways partnership wants to see I suspect.

I agree , IMO this was driven by the hire industry wanting to ensure hire boats could always get on honey spot sites in the evening and the IWA who believed that CC'ers were overstaying on visitor moorings. Local businesses were encouraged I think that if these new rules came in there would be a higher turnover of boats and therefore more customers.

However the previous years efforts of enforcement (not by volunteers) seems to have been broadly successful because the number of overstayers on the visitor moorings being targeted was very low in 2013 and the new rules seem to have put off many boaters judging by the Stoke Breune statistics. The result less trade for local businesses shortly to be made worse as the hire boats disappear and there is nothing on the signs I believe to say that the restrictions will be lifted or when despite promises to the contrary.

The very opposite effect that the SE Waterways partnership wants to see I suspect.

There are signs going up to restrict mooring from 9-Sep though to 20-Sep for the Village at War. I would hope (and expect) that restrictions would be lifted somewhat after the Village at War restrictions to say 14 days? That should encourage boaters to visit but still keep the spirit of the CC in mind. What little I know of Stoke Bruerne doesn't lead me to believe that it is a good place to spend a winter on a boat (no shops, no pump-out etc) but it does, IMHO, provide a pleasant place to spend up to 14 days and to spend a few evenings supporting local businesses. In the short time I have been here I have lost count of the number of times I have been asked where the local shop is (apart from the one in the Boat Inn)!

There are signs going up to restrict mooring from 9-Sep though to 20-Sep for the Village at War. I would hope (and expect) that restrictions would be lifted somewhat after the Village at War restrictions to say 14 days? That should encourage boaters to visit but still keep the spirit of the CC in mind. What little I know of Stoke Bruerne doesn't lead me to believe that it is a good place to spend a winter on a boat (no shops, no pump-out etc) but it does, IMHO, provide a pleasant place to spend up to 14 days and to spend a few evenings supporting local businesses. In the short time I have been here I have lost count of the number of times I have been asked where the local shop is (apart from the one in the Boat Inn)!

Hi,

I suppose one of the advantages of mooring restrictions is that there will be a reasonable through put of boats mooring up during events such as 'SB @ War' -- as previously at these popular events boaters would moor up days in advance to get a good pitch and then leave the boat unoccupied until the event.

Empty boats occupying moorings do not provide customers for local enterprises - these tend to 'screw' the public who visit to view the events in droves.

Boaters normally are self sufficient with regard to food and 'pop'.

One place which gets my vote is the Indian restaurant, it's brill, a large take away normally lasts two days (normal health restrictions on reheated rice apply).

Leo (No1)

PS Is the Boat still charging top dollar for drinks?.....

Edited by LEO
  • Greenie 1