Wasps Nest - Northwich Wall, River Weaver

tillergirl

Featured Posts

I was talking to one of the grass cutting contractors the other day and we noticed a wasp nest by the towpath. He told me that their brief from the Trust was to report them in order for the Trust to deal with them.

Thank you rgreg..............

Just a heads up for anyone planning a trip on the Weaver. There are 2 mooring spots in Northwich one of which is the river wall BEFORE Town Bridge. At the lower end that does not have mooring bollards but is easier to get off a boat there is a wasps nest near the steps. Found this out this morning as we tried to moor there- the only way to rope boat is to pin in between stones but the hammering disturbed the hive and they attacked the mooring pin with a vengeance! Had to wait a fair while before it could be retrieved with the pole hook.

Has been reported to CRT at Anderton as its their remit. They will endeavour to get someone out beginning of the working week to attend to it.

Just seen this - we stopped there the same afternoon and didn't notice anything -lol

Maggie

Come on, Bees produce honey, Wasps make jam! My kids know that......

no, strawberries make jam, like raspberries and all the other berries plus apricots and plums, wasps make nothing apart from other wasps.

they have large factories just building wasps, I've seen them fly down and cut a another wasps head off and fly away with it, same with legs and stuff.

why do they take back parts, they are extracting information and rebuilding from the parts they salvage.

do you believe wasps make jam, you are mental.

Edited by Dar Kuma

Is that why they are yellow and black ?...........Same uniform as Traffic wardens

Our traffc wardens no longer have yellow bands on ther hats - they have had red bands instead for many years now.

I have no idea, though, whether the change was made because they were tired of the old jokes about tryng to stop people parking on their heads........

Wasps do indeed eat other insects and can be a big problem to bee keepers. I'm not keen to share a small space with them but can cope with them in the roof space,we had regular nests when we lived in Merseyside.

I find a wasp will usually go away if told to but come autumn when the fruit is ripe and most are at the end of their lives then they can be a nuisance.

Wasps eat cat food.

Wasps will keep away from the main action at a barbecue if you put a plate of bones with scraps of meat on somewhere for them to pick at. We always start with chops and put the bones for wasps,the plate needs to be out of reach of domestic pets.

This year there are not many wasps about.

Wasps do indeed eat other insects and can be a big problem to bee keepers. I'm not keen to share a small space with them but can cope with them in the roof space,we had regular nests when we lived in Merseyside.

I find a wasp will usually go away if told to but come autumn when the fruit is ripe and most are at the end of their lives then they can be a nuisance.

Wasps eat cat food.

Wasps will keep away from the main action at a barbecue if you put a plate of bones with scraps of meat on somewhere for them to pick at. We always start with chops and put the bones for wasps,the plate needs to be out of reach of domestic pets.

This year there are not many wasps about.

Thats because they are all in Northwich :)

Wasps are a nuisance but they are not generally looking to sting you . Horseflies on the other hand are evil. They are hunting you and sneak up to bite with their horrible drill sting. They can happily bite through jeans and the bites can go septic. I wish the wasps would eat them.

The main reason wasps collect meat is to feed it to the developing grubs. These in turn exude a sweet substance that the wasps feed on. It is when most of the grubs have developed into adults that wasps become a nuisance as they no longer get their sugar fix from the grubs so come looking for jam sandwiches. The main reason they attack bee hives is to rob the honey. A concerted attack can leave a hive so depleted that is will not last the winter. Other bee hives can also attack a hive.

Whilst in a major supermarket and just about to queue up to pay for my groceries , I became aware of a major commotion around the self service tills. It became apparent that there was this wasp buzzing around the area, making the other customers scream and flee in all directions, waving their arms fratically and shouting that they were all going to die a horrible death. I walked up to the till, paid for my goods and was out of the mad house within minutes, bypassing all the huge queues at all the other checkouts which is quite normal on a Sunday.

The hardest part of the whole process was to get a replacement wasp.

Horse flies are a total pain in whatever they sting,I've had some stings that went to big lumps and itched like fury.

Dor thanks for info on why wasps eat meat, they scare me a bit but I try to co exist.

Edited by madcat

I got stung by a wasp yesterday afternoon while I was prepping some rust patches on my roof. I don't think it liked the angle grinder/wire wheel I was using as it went straight down my leather glove and stung me on the wrist

I think it's only the second time I've been stung by a wasp in my life - the first time was when I was about 10. It was ok afterwards - just a bit of a sting, but it started to swell up last night and now half my forearm has swelled up.

The constant itching is unbearable. I tried putting some Germolene on it but that hasn't helped.

I got stung by a wasp yesterday afternoon while I was prepping some rust patches on my roof. I don't think it liked the angle grinder/wire wheel I was using as it went straight down my leather glove and stung me on the wrist

I think it's only the second time I've been stung by a wasp in my life - the first time was when I was about 10. It was ok afterwards - just a bit of a sting, but it started to swell up last night and now half my forearm has swelled up.

The constant itching is unbearable. I tried putting some Germolene on it but that hasn't helped.

Go and seek medical attention.

If you have any antihistamines take some, but as already suggested, you may need medical attention, sooner rather than later

If you have any antihistamines take some, but as already suggested, you may need medical attention, sooner rather than later

If it is anything like the way people react to bee stings it isn't going to get any worse now. However your past experience suggests that you are getting progressively more sensitive to wasp stings. Personally I would keep anti histamines to hand and take them as soon as stung in future and monitor for how bad the reaction appears to be. Full anaphalactic shock can result and needs immediate attention.

If it is anything like the way people react to bee stings it isn't going to get any worse now. However your past experience suggests that you are getting progressively more sensitive to wasp stings. Personally I would keep anti histamines to hand and take them as soon as stung in future and monitor for how bad the reaction appears to be. Full anaphalactic shock can result and needs immediate attention.

Thanks, I will do. It's the first bee or wasp sting I've had since I was a kid and I don't remember any of this.

Edit: The geezer in the pharmacy told me the hydrocortisone creme would sooth the itching. It doesn't.

Edited by blackrose

That's quite a severe reaction you describe there. I had my first sting as a child, 2nd time one got inside the neck of my motorcycle leathers and did me on the side of the neck, and the third on my toe through my sandals cos it climbed in there and was squished a bit.

The first two just hurt like hell for about an hour and a half (good job, the 2nd was right over my carotid artery!). The third one, my leg swelled to the knee by the time I was in A&E and they stuck an Epipen in me in the cubicle, and I had the equivalent of four others by intravenous over the following night.

Guess what I keep in me fridge now? My GP has been informed that I am a likely Heli rescue case if I get stung again, road ambulance would take 20 mins and could be too late ...

I regularly have bees nesting in my garden, wasp nests abound and I pretty much ignore them, as far as I can. I've been stung three times in 45 years so it's not a weekly event and my kids know full well what to do if I yell 'Ow STING'. None of them would dream of running round screaming waving their arms around if met by a wasp in a small space. They just watch it carefully and let it out if poss. Thus have I educated them.

Hard winters and cold springs do the wasp population no favours. I've not seen a single one this year up here. Not that unhappy about it, to be truthful.

Mind you, Ladybirds bite me too and we've had a fair few of those ...

Having kept bees, I've had a few stings. What is interesting is that some people become less affected by bee stings the more they are stung. Conversely, others become sensitised to it and have a greater reaction the more they are stung, to the point where they have to carry a hypo with a specific anti-histamine. However, I've not heard of an equivalent with wasp stings. So something new there for me.

It has been years since I've been stung by a wasp. I put this down to not being particularly bothered about their presence so I just generally ignore them. If you really want to be stung by a wasp, start waving your hands about and generally antagonise it. Alternatively, either ignore it or gently blow it away.

Sometimes there has been a wasp nest near where we moor. What makes it apparent is that we get loads of queen wasps come into the boat to hibernate. Unfortunately when the boat warms up they wake up and dozeily walk about on the floor. Fine until you tread on one.

At the end of this, if you want to avoid a wasp sting, just ignore the wasp. They are not particularly bothered about you.

Having kept bees, I've had a few stings. What is interesting is that some people become less affected by bee stings the more they are stung. Conversely, others become sensitised to it and have a greater reaction the more they are stung, to the point where they have to carry a hypo with a specific anti-histamine. However, I've not heard of an equivalent with wasp stings. So something new there for me.

It has been years since I've been stung by a wasp. I put this down to not being particularly bothered about their presence so I just generally ignore them. If you really want to be stung by a wasp, start waving your hands about and generally antagonise it. Alternatively, either ignore it or gently blow it away.

Sometimes there has been a wasp nest near where we moor. What makes it apparent is that we get loads of queen wasps come into the boat to hibernate. Unfortunately when the boat warms up they wake up and dozeily walk about on the floor. Fine until you tread on one.

At the end of this, if you want to avoid a wasp sting, just ignore the wasp. They are not particularly bothered about you.

The one that stung me was bothered by the angle-grinder I was using. I didn't even know it was there until it stung me.

There are quite a few wasps around here this year so I guess I will have to be careful. I didn't have any reaction for the first few hours and then my arm swelled up. I've got a bit of a headache and I feel a bit feverish - I think it's just the effect of the constant itching which I'm doing my best to avoid scratching.

Edited by blackrose