Empty Visitor Moorings - Overstaying

DeanS

Featured Posts

I think I'll say this before leaving this forum for good. I've chatted and still chat on many forums, both to do with boats and other topics. In general this one has been informative helpful and often quite funny.

However there is a cadre of people on here who seem to think they can talk to others in any way they see fit. I'm not talking about the content of their posts because a good debate is good fun. But one sometimes feels one is walking on eggshells because if one has the temerity to express a view it results - not in a debate - but vitriolic put downs. Sorry life's too short.

Well I am genuinely sorry about that. To throw a hissy fit and flounce off because I described you as a whinger seems a little extreme but I must say if it helps that blood pressure it's probably for the best.

Well I am genuinely sorry about that. To throw a hissy fit and flounce off because I described you as a whinger seems a little extreme but I must say if it helps that blood pressure it's probably for the best.

I have to agree,

I woke up this morning on a VM, which was empty except for me.

I phoned CRT and asked if I could stay put, as there is plenty of space at the moment.

I was told the reason I cant stay on the VM (even though it's currently empty), is because YOU LOT WILL COMPLAIN I'VE EXCEEDED THE 48HRS.

So it seems that the real culprits causing all the hassles, is not CRT, who are more than willing to say...heyyy there's plenty of space at the moment....feel free to stay and enjoy until it gets to 75% full...........but BOATERS.....who have put the fear into CRT, that the balance has now swung too far the other way. I managed to extend my stay by 1 day, but if the VMs are still empty tomorrow, I guess I'll have to go moor on the river....not because I'm causing any problems where I am, but because boaters.....complain to CRT if I dont follow the signage to the letter. I could phone CRT again and say...it's still empty...can I stay another day.....but ..they are so worried someone's going to complain, that they'd rather I dont push it.

SO THE PROBLEM IS NOT CRT. IT'S BOATERS. smile.png

as seen by so many posts on this forum complaining about boats moored where they really aren't affecting anyone else. (15days on the towpath in the same place..).............but...ya know....rules are rules and all that. ;-0

It's no ones fault really....it's what happens when some boaters forget to be considerate to other boaters (obviously I would move the moment I saw the VM start filling up as that would be the right thing to do), so BigBrother have to enforce signage instead, costing us all a fortune I imagine.

I am most grateful I have been told I can stay an extra day and not have to pay the £25 daily mooring rental fee. If I was a little wealthier, I'd just pay it and stay without having to beg.

Hmmm , so if the motorway is empty can I drive my car it at 130mph ? Stick to the rules , plan your trp accordingly and we can all get on , simples !

The only member who has given you any real jip is Chris Pink and most of us now just park his posts and move on, unless it's an occasion where he adds some value which is often.

So you are going to leave the forum on the basis of one members posts...

Silly boy.

I have to agree,

So you see my point - NO other forum I've ever spoken on has seen fit to speak to other members like this. If Mr Pink is allowed to speak like this it is not a forum I want to be any part of. Thank god all the real people I've met on the canal aren't like you.

• Greenie 2

So you see my point - NO other forum I've ever spoken on has seen fit to speak to other members like this. If Mr Pink is allowed to speak like this it is not a forum I want to be any part of. Thank god all the real people I've met on the canal aren't like you.

I thought you were leaving!

That didn't last long.......

You can rewind that bud because if you think I see your point you are mistaken.....

Re read what I actually posted please.

Larry....it's a forum....with boaters......not badmington players.......people just express themselves ....sometimes without caring how it's interpreted. Let it go, the forum needs folk like you , to balance things out.

I demand Mr Pink apologises!

icecream.gif

• Greenie 1

Many forums are much worse than this with threads degenerating into personal insults. everybody should be allowed a voice even if some are more forthright than others , most of us have learnt not to rise to the bait. Between the hot air there are normally good and valid points made.

I demand Mr Pink apologises!

I'm sorry Dean, for once again reducing one of your very civilised threads to such depths of depravity (o if only the canals had such depths eh?) and making larryjc cry.

There's a great French word "pleurnichement" (from pleurer - to cry) that means whimper or whinge.

Edited by Chris Pink

Many forums are much worse than this with threads degenerating into personal insults. everybody should be allowed a voice even if some are more forthright than others , most of us have learnt not to rise to the bait. Between the hot air there are normally good and valid points made.

You should see this football forum I go on. This forum is nothing compared to that one. One time they all sent skips and loads of stuff to some guys house.

I would the same as he has done for years expressing his views straight to the point.

I am now having my 3rd night on the 24 hour mooring still no more boats than when I arrived.

While I do follow your active involvement to communicate with CRT, and respect the effort, I find that you can be somewhat cavalier at times and suit yourself because you can. Running with the fox and hunting with the hounds. You are sending out mixed messages. IMO.

While I do follow your active involvement to communicate with CRT, and respect the effort, I find that you can be somewhat cavalier at times and suit yourself because you can. Running with the fox and hunting with the hounds. You are sending out mixed messages. IMO.

Not quite sure what you mean. My way of boating has not changed over the last 8 years. In fact last summer (before I ever became involved in any process) I had a dispute with CRT over the same thing. I was moored in Ripon on the 48 hour moorings. There were only 2 boats Myself and the other boat I cruise with. After 48 hours the enforcement officer arrived and told us to move as we had done our 48 hours. I pointed out that there were no other boats and if I moved the moorings would be completely empty(there was room for at least a further 3 boats). I told her politely that I was not going to move but would be happy to do so if there was a sudden influx of boats. I left 3 days later in that time no other boats had arrived and when I left the moorings were empty. I have discussed many times with CRT that enforcement officers need to be more flexible on Visitor Moorings especially during the winter months. The problem we have at present and it is becoming worse due to lack of dredging and in some areas the protection of The Water Vole means that CRT are no longer mowing Hedge to Edge by only sending out mowers and no strimmers. CRT are slowly forcing boats onto Visitor Moorings but not increasing the number of Visitor Moorings. IMO CRT are using lack of dredging and allowing towpaths to become overgrown as a means of stopping NCCC mooring for long periods of time on the towpath, the problem with this is it effects all boaters who would rather not moor on Visitor Moorings.

Not quite sure what you mean. My way of boating has not changed over the last 8 years. In fact last summer (before I ever became involved in any process) I had a dispute with CRT over the same thing. I was moored in Ripon on the 48 hour moorings. There were only 2 boats Myself and the other boat I cruise with. After 48 hours the enforcement officer arrived and told us to move as we had done our 48 hours. I pointed out that there were no other boats and if I moved the moorings would be completely empty(there was room for at least a further 3 boats). I told her politely that I was not going to move but would be happy to do so if there was a sudden influx of boats. I left 3 days later in that time no other boats had arrived and when I left the moorings were empty. I have discussed many times with CRT that enforcement officers need to be more flexible on Visitor Moorings especially during the winter months. The problem we have at present and it is becoming worse due to lack of dredging and in some areas the protection of The Water Vole means that CRT are no longer mowing Hedge to Edge by only sending out mowers and no strimmers. CRT are slowly forcing boats onto Visitor Moorings but not increasing the number of Visitor Moorings. IMO CRT are using lack of dredging and allowing towpaths to become overgrown as a means of stopping NCCC mooring for long periods of time on the towpath, the problem with this is it effects all boaters who would rather not moor on Visitor Moorings.

The trouble with CRT being more flexible with visitor mooring times at quiet times is that there are always some who will take the piss. The minority ruining it for the majority again.

Until such a time when everyone decides to play fair then I agree with CRT that the time limits should be adhered too and overstaying should be enforced more stringantly whether the visitor moorings are empty or not.

The trouble with CRT being more flexible with visitor mooring times at quiet times is that there are always some who will take the piss. The minority ruining it for the majority again.

Until such a time when everyone decides to play fair then I agree with CRT that the time limits should be adhered too and overstaying should be enforced more stringantly whether the visitor moorings are empty or not.

By enforcement I presume they give you ticket saying you have 14 days to move.

A bit of long grass should not put you or anyone off mooring away from VMs. Plenty of times we moor where the grass may have grown high and trample it down and/or get the shears out and cut it short where we need access from the boat. If I want something to do I will cut the grass along the length of the boat and so someone else can slot in when we are gone.

Any restrictions mooring near water vole sights are minimal compared to the many miles of moorings around the system. We need to protect endangered species in our country.

It's not all about just where you or anyone else wants to moor.

I agree though that in the winter VM limits could be relaxed and many sights could revert to the std 14 day limit or maybe 7 days.

A bit of long grass should not put you or anyone off mooring away from VMs. Plenty of times we moor where the grass may have grown high and trample it down and/or get the shears out and cut it short where we need access from the boat. If I want something to do I will cut the grass along the length of the boat and so someone else can slot in when we are gone.

Any restrictions mooring near water vole sights are minimal compared to the many miles of moorings around the system. We need to protect endangered species in our country.

It's not all about just where you or anyone else wants to moor.

I agree though that in the winter VM limits could be relaxed and many sights could revert to the std 14 day limit or maybe 7 days.

It is not just about trampling down a piece of long grass. I cruise with another boat and last month we pulled up to moor up in a stretch of long grass (no problem) as Stan aged 78 stepped off his boat because of the long grass he was unable to see there was a big gap between the pilling and the bank, his foot went in and twisted (could have broken) he was unable to walk for nearly 7 days. No I dont care about a bit of long grass but I do care about what is hidden under that grass. Yes like you I happy to protect the Water Vole where they have been spotted but please do not use that as an excuse not to cut from Hedge to Edge. There is perceived to be an overcrowding problem at Visitor Moorings in that case they should make it easier for boaters to moor away from Visitor Moorings. I know one boater (Stan) that will no longer be mooring in areas of high grass.

It is not just about trampling down a piece of long grass. I cruise with another boat and last month we pulled up to moor up in a stretch of long grass (no problem) as Stan aged 78 stepped off his boat because of the long grass he was unable to see there was a big gap between the pilling and the bank, his foot went in and twisted (could have broken) he was unable to walk for nearly 7 days. No I dont care about a bit of long grass but I do care about what is hidden under that grass. Yes like you I happy to protect the Water Vole where they have been spotted but please do not use that as an excuse not to cut from Hedge to Edge. There is perceived to be an overcrowding problem at Visitor Moorings in that case they should make it easier for boaters to moor away from Visitor Moorings. I know one boater (Stan) that will no longer be mooring in areas of high grass.

We too like to moor in long grass and are not put off by it but I once too came a similar cropper mooring our boat in long grass at Wood End on the T&M. Stepping on what looked like totally solid ground behind the piling turned out to be nothing of the sort and I was very quickly knee deep in water muddy sludge.

Nothing serious done but I nearly went in the cut head first so care is needed if you are going to do it.

After Jan stopped laughing her only comment was that she was sorry she wasn't filming me at the time........who says nurses lack compassion.