Tying the knot

Bernie

Featured Posts

Bernie.

I think it would be a good idea to preserve that brilliant bit of animation, I for one would like to refer to it now and again when I have a few minutes to spare, otherwise it will get lost in the abiss in a few days.

How about pinning it in 'Boat Handling'. The average narrowboater is notorious for not being able to tie a knot to save his life.

I've been looking for animated knots for some time now, great!

- Out of interest, the bowline on the animated knots site is a "real" bowline. The bowline on the tollesburysc site is a Dutch marine bowline. Just being picky!

• 11 months later...

I would like to draw your attention to the IGKT - International Guild of Knot Tyers - www.igkt.net

If you follow the link page, it will take you to loads of websites with everything you ever wanted to know about knots... :P

Kate

A round turn and a two half hitches - mooring

Bowline - mooring and person recovery

Clove Hitch and slippery Clove Hitch - fenders and tarps, or sun shades

Camel Hitch - to grip a slippery pole or wire, such as to attach something to a rigging wire like a solar panel

Anchor Hitch - like a round turn and two half hitches, but the first half hitch goes through the round turn

• 1 year later...

any ideas how to back-splice or eye-splice a multiplait-braided rope?

all I can see is heatshrink tube to stop it from fraying.

I bought a job lot of 100m of 20mm dia. multibraided rope for a song at an auction. Now I want to make some use of it. Nice thick soft mooring ropes, etc.

You need a hollow fid, poke it under the braid and out about 10d further up the rope, slide the tail end thru the fid, extract the fid. Two choices now, leave the very end inside the braid and put a serving on that part, or, have a short length hang out :cheers: and put the serving on that.

There used to be a web sight with this guff, Marlow Ropes in think

This is for an eye slice, cant back-splice it, melt/weld the end and serve.

Infact, Cris are we talking braided or multiplait? not the same thing!

Whatever, tis all here, http://www.marlowropes.com/public/pageMana...cfm?page_id=210

• 1 year later...

Hi

I am new to the forum but have a problem with splices and rope, I have searched for information on how to splice loops in my ropes. I am new to boat owernership so have decided to buy new rope and make some nice new mooring/ lock ropes. My problem is the rope I got at a good price is four strand so non of the sites I have found cover four strand it is all three strand. I have seen most of the sites o this string and agree they are extreemly informative but does anyone know how to do four strand ?? If I do find any info on this I will post on this string.

With four strands it does not seem to work as I cannot orientate the rope when attempting to splice a loop on the end. I do not have a top middle and bottom I have two middles and by the time I am on to the bottom it is to far round the rope and causes twists and looks terrible. I will settle for one of the knots I have seen on the sites the thread has highlited untill I get a bit more experiance. The good news is I can now tie a monkeys paw somthing I have been attempting with no luck for years, Thanks.

Shaun

I cant see how it would make any difference. Care to elucidate, a bit :lol:

All the information I have seen shows a three strand rope, I am new to this but with four strands it doesnot seem to work as I cannot orientate the rope when attempting to splice a loop on the end. I do not have a top middle and bottom I have two middles and by the time I am on to the bottom it is to far round the rope and causes twists and looks terrible. I will settle for one of the knots I have seen on the sites the thread has highlited untill I get a bit more experiance. The good news is I can now tie a monkeys paw somthing I have been attempting with no luck for years, Thanks.

Shaun

Yea, you may be right, twer a long time ago. Seem to remember opening the lay, shove a strand thru, tuck that one, tuck two on the left????.................................. :lol: I'll haff to try and wind some 4 strand.

Long time ago the boat-yard where I worked bought a rake of 4 strand from Gundrys in Bridport, it was going cheap, failed order or sommik. We used it to renew tie-down ropes on the tarps used on the dray lorries of the brewery across the road, eye splice and back splice.

Just an aside re. the monkey fist, the trick of inserting a pebble or weight in the centre is a hanging offence 'round here, very dodgy.:lol:

Hi

Thanks for that I will now annoy the wife by whiling away the winter hours making new ropes for the boat in the lounge whilst watching the TV. As for the monkey's paw with the pebble I will steer clear. Nice to find a site with such helpful people I shall have a good look around and see if there is any help I can give or just look for tips. Thanks

Shaun

• 1 month later...
any ideas how to back-splice or eye-splice a multi-braided rope?

all I can see is heatshrink tube to stop it from fraying.

I bought a job lot of 100m of 20mm dia. multibraided rope for a song at an auction. Now I want to make some use of it. Nice thick soft mooring ropes, etc.

Heatshrink tube is actually reccomended by a lot of people becaus eit doesn't increas the bulk of the line

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Just to let you know, the first link mistakenly directs you to the second link, and the second appears to be dead now. :)

The first link should be: http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php

Tollesbury saltings site has been dead for 5 years now.

It's most annoying.

Edited to add, I see Bernie's link is the sailing club, not the boatyard which I was moaning about..

Edited by carlt

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Some more good links:

http://www.southee.com/Knots/Index.htm

- has a PDF you can download into a tablet and use offline

- shows useful alternative ways to tie some knots

http://notableknotindex.webs.com/knotindex.html

http://www.asiteaboutnothing.net/cr_knots.html

http://www.scoutingresources.org.uk/knots/knots_az.html

- I can explain an easy and reliable way to tie an "Alpine Butterfly" (mid-line loop) with your eyes closed based on one of the pictures here if anyone is interested

Good stuff Gordias. But I suspect there's a lot of folk on this ere forum who would run a mile at the very thought of ''Tying the knot'' or ''getting spliced'' for that matter. smile.png

Oh come on, all that's needed is perseverance, it gets easier after the first time.

Oh come on, all that's needed is perseverance, it gets easier after the first time.

What I think might put a lot of folk off tying the knot is a matter of the possibly of unknown quirks and horrors that might come to light once the knot is tied. Like fuming smelly feet, habitual nose picking, nail biting, removing false teeth at the dinner table, fleas, bottom covered with pussy boils, Washing once a year only, leaving dogends dotted about all over the shop, bed wetting, digging wax from ears with matchsticks. Unless both have identickle draw backs huge and great tollerence and overwheming love is needed.