Stern Gland And Rudder Top Bearing

Featured Posts

Some advice please, my boat had the stern gland professionally repacked some 300 hours ago and it is leaking. I think I can stop this by tightening the nuts but an concerned how much I should tighten them.

I also have to replace the top rudder ball bearing, there is a collar bolted to the shaft above the bearing. Does this collar hold the rudder shaft slightly proud of the lower bearing, or does the shaft sit on the bottom of the bearing.

Thanks.

John

Grease the bearing well. Tighten the nuts the same amount alternately on either side until the leak has stopped but the shaft is still easily turned by hand (with the engine stopped and out of gear unless you have one of those gearboxes which goes into ahead when the engine stops). After tightening it cruise for 15 minutes or so (or run the engine in gear if you are allowed) then stop it and check the stern gland stuffing box is cool. If it's at all warm the nuts are too tight. If so, slacken them off a little, evenly and re-check.

If you can't stop the leak then it will need to be repacked. Alan Fincher has posted on how to do this, with pictures I think.

The rudder normally sits on the skeg with the post in a cup as the bottom bearing. Unless you have a top bearing that is designed to take an axial load (the weight of the rudder etc.) the top bearing should not be supporting anything. The collar is there to stop the rudder falling off the skeg if it is lifted out of the bottom bearing by accident. Oil drums and shopping trolleys are good at this.

N