Canal Communities Research

Dan78

Featured Posts

Hi, my name is Dan and i'm researching for a potential TV programme idea.

I'm looking into the existence of permanent canal boat communties, and if such a thing exists.

I'm aware that people who live on boats regard the other residents and cruisers as community, but I want to find out if there are any actual residential communities, maybe even communes?!?

Any information would be great as i'm an extreme novice at this!

Thanks

Dan

What is your idea? If it's anything like the recent channel 4 "let's poke fun at those people who are different from ourselves car crash tv" stuff on travellers then you can bugger off.

That's not very nice! I can see from your location that you perhaps fall into the category the OP is referring to. A bit defensive aren't you? No swearing, by the way.

That's not very nice! I can see from your location that you perhaps fall into the category the OP is referring to. A bit defensive aren't you? No swearing, by the way.

Having seen the hatchet jobs done by TV on multiple communities I think I've a right to be wary of TV men bearing questions. And if bugger is still in your swearing book you should probably not watch tv.

Having seen the hatchet jobs done by TV on multiple communities I think I've a right to be wary of TV men bearing questions. And if bugger is still in your swearing book you should probably not watch tv.

But surely if you have nothing to be ashamed of or to hide, what harm could it do? Anyway, even if you don't want to be involved yourself I don't think there was call to be so offensive.

Thing is, if permanent 'communities' exist outside marinas, they probably shouldn't.

Hence the defensiveness! Although to be fair, surely there are residential on-line moorings?

But surely if you have nothing to be ashamed of or to hide, what harm could it do? Anyway, even if you don't want to be involved yourself I don't think there was call to be so offensive.

Like clockwork. It's the "nothing to hide" argument! :D

I'm not being rude, I'm asking his motivations. Just like you don't just barge into a pub and demand the locals tell you their life story you don't barge in here and ask ours.

Sorry researcher Dan, you're going to have to put in more effort than that.

• Greenie 2

Like clockwork. It's the "nothing to hide" argument! :D

I'm not being rude, I'm asking his motivations. Just like you don't just barge into a pub and demand the locals tell you their life story you don't barge in here and ask ours.

I suppose the difference is, you do have something to hide.

Yes but fortunately the programme is unlikely to be interested in your suburban Rugby life!

I was making a general point rather than highlighting my specific circumstances.

Having spent over a decade living aboard, however, I feel qualified to comment (if such qualification were necessary).

• Greenie 2

My attention has been drawn to this thread by various members and while I am happy to leave it as it stands would remind people that all new members should be welcomed to the forum regardless of your thoughts about there posting, there are polite ways to disagree!

Going on from that, I would like to welcome you to the forum Dan, and wish you will in your endeavour. As you have probably noticed, or perhaps will find out as you research further, I think its fiar to say that while the majority cause no issues, and are many legitimate communities that exist in and around the UK canal network, in marinas, linear/online moorings, etc, there can also be some that cause or take offence, and some that are not fully legitimate in there existence.

There is also, amongst many people and with good reason, a wariness of reporters and producers who take information, well gathered or otherwise, and intentionally or otherwise then turn it to something which miss represents the facts and or leads the public opinion, often without thought for the effects it has on those who took part in the creation of the piece, or the people it involves. And often do not allow the contributors the grace of checking the piece for errors, nor follow through on promises made during the creation of the piece, even if that was only that a copy be provided following its publication, and then walk away and do not reply to further contact or requests.

Following that, while I would support anyone in sharing information to help with such requests, and have done myself on occasions, such as the recent on steam narrowboats in canalboat, I would also warn you to be very aware of how information you give, intentionally or otherwise, could or may be portrayed, keep small-talk to a minimum and or under control, and expect some disappointment on seeing the finished job even if on the whole its good! On that basis, it shouldnt end too badly....

That is all!

Daniel

Dan78,

I have a few questions:

1. Is this just an 'idea' of yours are are you currently contracted to a production company to work up this idea?

2. Please can you define exactly what you mean by community? For example, CWDF is a community of sorts. My mooring site is also a community, it's also permanent and on the canal. So obviously they exist. I'm assuming you have a more specific and narrow definition in mind? You refer to communes which as the name suggests, means living in a group where facilities are shared and work is done communally. Well, boating is to some extent like that anyway except, by definition, we all live on seperate boats, so it's never going to be fully communal in practice unless theres a group which jointly own a few boats and just sleep on whichever one they choose on any given night. I'm not aware of this anywhere though.

3. Please could you tell us some more about the type of programme you want to make. Understandably, many on here will be wary. If you've done any research at all you'll understand why, given the slightly unclear situation regarding residential boating, continuous cruising guidelines etc...

A couple of groups which might fit your criteria include http://www.lilo.org.uk/ and these guys http://www.shorehamhouseboats.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page

Thinking of my own moorings, I wouldn't have many qualms about a tv crew filming us but I suspect others would. I'd also be quite fussy about what I'd sign on a consent form.

Slightly off topic: A fellow boater had a tv show idea which was a boat-swapping thing. He thought it would be nice if the boaters of Gas Street Basin in Birmingham swapped boats with those in the 79th Street Boat Basin in New York for a few months and a crew came and filmed each group getting to grips with a different boating culture.

Like clockwork. It's the "nothing to hide" argument! biggrin.png

i totally agree with your view the traveling community are now wide open after a few of there kind felt the need to appear on tv and the main man paddy got a 100,00 pound tax bill for his trouble along with a much less friendly fine from his own kind you have every right to be afraid and suspitious that its your community they may have there eye on next. trouble is someone from withing your own community will lose all there morals and inhibitions for a few quid and 10 mins of fame to tell them all they want to hear regardless of the truth sorry but thats just how it is A.T.B.Paul

Classic case of a little information is a dangerous thing.

Dave_P's questions need to be answered.

@ Dan78...if you're still reading this and haven't been totally put off.... if you want 'buy-in' from individuals, you need to provide far more clarity on the Who? the What? the Why? the Where? and the How?

I've undertaken (and commissioned) a lot of research in my time - mainly academic research but often interviewing people, making programmes, etc. I'd never get away with the equivalent of 'I'm doing some reseach, will you help me?'.

As someone who isn't really part of any boating community - just a weekend hobby boater- but who HAS had dealings with the media over the years on conservation related issues, can I reiteate that even the most well intentioned journalist will have an agenda, and you WILL NOT have any control over the final programme.

Editing is a very subjective process, and even if the journo thinks they have represented you fairly, it is entirely possible you won't like the final result. On balance, I would not get involved in any kind of TV process again unless I stood to gain from the process - either personally ( getting paid!) or because it could promote a cause/ organisation I was involved in. On the face of the OP, I can't see either of these two reasons being met.