Tugs

Ricco1

Featured Posts

Athy

Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Very pleasing - but that little boy should be life-jacketed, or roped down.

That little boy is Zeberdee Jacobs last year he won the ricky tug of war with bens motor caldy

This year he was steering Frederick

Probably a better boater than a lot of adults

The only thing in common with the S&L wartime tugs is the oblong opening deadlights which were fixed on the S&L boats from memory!

Why "wartime"?

I thought they pre-date World War II by around 5 years?

The only tug for me now is Ruislip. Did anyone get a photo at Braunston that they could post?

Not sure I feel like cooperating now, after being so dismissive of all other tugs!

Ian M of this forum had this one in his Branston collection.....

9199789427_b676dd6708_o.jpg

Nice, the people give a better idea of the size of the boat than the pic Google images trawled up for me.

Ruislip is narrow beam, so can traverse the narrow canals as well as the broad.

According to its current owner, the biggest navigational problem with it is a static draught of at least 3' 6", making it a lot deeper in than many unloaded ex working boats. Apparently bumping through many bridge holes is the norm!

I remember this boat in use on the Southern maintenance fleet over 40 yeras ago, so a real pleasure to see it out and about again all these years later.

OK - I'll show my ignorance - should I have heard of Ted Spencer?

Yes. Wasn't he was the manager geezer in 1970's TV prog 'Hi De Hi'? I never realised he was a boatbuilder too!

But mind you, Ruth was smoking hot to me as a teenage boy. (Should I be saying stuff like that on here?!)

MtB

Hotbulb semi-diesel.

Speedy,

I keep meaning to say thanks for the link to the bargain Kromhaut you sent me. I measured REGINALD up for it but WAY too long to fit so I didn't buy it.

Still tempted to buy it, keep it in the garden and fire it up once in a while!

MtB

Why "wartime"?

I thought they pre-date World War II by around 5 years?

Spot on Alan they were 1934 Yarwoods built, some cabin work being done at Harris's, getting confused with "Typhoon, Hurricane" etc Harris built boats..

Speedy,

I keep meaning to say thanks for the link to the bargain Kromhaut you sent me. I measured REGINALD up for it but WAY too long to fit so I didn't buy it.

Still tempted to buy it, keep it in the garden and fire it up once in a while!

MtB

If you do buy it,let me know and I'll come round and ....er... 'help'.

Ruislip

The only boat I can think of that I would do a swap for.

Well that's rather delicious isn't it?!

Any idea what engine? WFB are being terribly coy about it. Posssibly the reason it is so cheap.

MtB

Edit to add, on the WFB front page it says it's a Kromhaut! Time to start looking for cash down the back of the sofa... biggrin.png

I've been on this boat, its fit out is basic but fantastic. Its a well engineered boat built by a knowledgeable owner. The engine is almost a sister to mine, brought into the UK by the same person.